Flies And Using Permoxin

We have sooo many flies here at the moment and they seem to have a particular fascination with Poor Henry.

I've sprayed him with Permoxin but just wondering how often I can safely use it as it seems to only be effective on the day I spray it.

Has anyone else got anything that is working well for them?

I am interested to know what everyone uses too. There are heaps of flies here, and of the six dogs I have here three are getting bitten on their ears (wonder why it seems to affect some dogs and not others). I have been using musca-ban spray but it is nearly gone. I have to spray it on every day, and most of the dogs don't like getting it sprayed on so it is an arduous and time-consuming chore each morning.

I was talking to someone yesterday who said to apply sump oil to the ears. Has anyone ever tried this?

Most products need to be applied at least daily. Some dogs don't like sprays at all, try the creams (like Troy Fly Repella which is also good on flybitten ears). Those of mine that don't like sprays, I dampen a face washer with the spray and rub them with that - quicker because they don't wriggle so much!

I can't imagine that sump oil would do anything at all (except maybe suffocate any maggots) :)

Dettol/water 50/05 mix is an excellent fly repellent, but do not use on dogs that have open cuts or sores as it is too caustic. It is great to spray on their beds/favourite nap spots etc.

Edited for grammar oops to to say to Winterpaws that the mfrs claim you can use Permoxin daily with no ill effects (in fact they recommend that for fleas and flies).

Edited by Ruralpug

Gotta love the people who say to use sump oil.. damn toxic stuff. even for humans.

They are probably the same people who like to use sump oil and concrete to weight dogs ears down... :)

ETA: Sump Oil.. Bushie rememdy from way back.. Maybe cause that was one of the few things they had on the farm to use to stop the flys from eating the ears further. Certainly not something that is needed to be used today.

Edited by Mystiqview

I use permoxin every few days... obviuosly don't SOAK the dog..I use a spray bottle..and a couple of squirts around ears and tail..with a tiny bit smeared around eyes does the trick here.

Our dogs/chooks always used to have sump oil applied on the edges of the ears (or on combs/wattles for chooks)for stickfast fleas..the dogs also used to get it on patches of sarcoptic mange. they never suffered any ill-effects.

When we bred turkeys, they had sump-oil soaked wheat bags hanging..they used to go there to get the oil on themselves to stop flies/fleas.

It was a readily available and effective treatment, around 40 years ago..... when choices were very limited!!

They are probably the same people who like to use sump oil and concrete to weight dogs ears down...

Naah..even I know to use 'gasket goo' for that!! :) :)

*sigh* how times have changed................

Kitkat,

Border Collies don't have long hair huh?? :)

Advantix is oily. So in that regard... just as good/bad as creams.

Actually I have found it at the moment to cause sores on one border who has a really thick coat. It sits on top, glues the hair to the skin and allows moisture to get under it, causing a sore.. Not good.. Frontline Plus last time I used it was useless for fleas/ticks.. so am weighing up options on that account.

Centrogen is either aerosol or pump spray with a lovely purple dye in it. Great all round anti-septic for want of better description. Have found some fly repelling with it.. Not a lot. Another good one is Iodine or Betadine. I am allegic to Iodine.. So I use Centrogen.

Pottys White or Dermoclens cream, great for rebuilding tissue.. Paw paw ointment is also a great cream to rebuild skin.. Not a lot of hair around fly attacked ears.. They chewed it off for you.

Kitkat,

Border Collies don't have long hair huh?? :)

Advantix is oily. So in that regard... just as good/bad as creams.

Hehehe...all i know is my poor two GSD's looked terrible while i was using the creams and vasiline type stuff...they had dags on their ears and the fur would gunk up and come out in tufts when i tried to brush it out - looked as bad as the fly bite :)

I just use the Advantix as with any other spot on (back of neck and base of tail) and find it keeps the flies of the dogs...ears and all. It's probably the main reason why i use it actually - certainly the main reason i recommend it :)

Hehehe...all i know is my poor two GSD's looked terrible while i was using the creams and vasiline type stuff...they had dags on their ears and the fur would gunk up and come out in tufts when i tried to brush it out - looked as bad as the fly bite

ditto, totally understand the oily clumping.

We are yet to find something that works properly on the shepherds. We used to use something called 'Shoo Fly' but havent seen it for ages.

If the flies are really bad, I used Aeroguard or Bite free - but not where they can lick it. It works well. I also used fly traps - a bottle with an attractant - the flies crawl in the hole and can't get out. I use these where the dogs sleep, and hang them out of reach so some dopey dog doesn't eat them. They really clear the area - about $10 each.

We have one dog here who is attacked mercilously by the flies, and we have resorted to crating him indoors during the day. Its been the ONLY way to get his ears to start to heal. If I am late getting him inside in the mornings, the flies undo all the good healing we have done, in a matter of an hour.

We are using paw paw cream on his ears when he is indoors, and vaseline, aeroguard, centragen......on him when he is out.

I have just bought some Advantix to try instead of Advantage, to see if that helps keep the flies off him. He is the ONLY one out of 13 dogs here at present, who has any trouble with flies on his ears. They were a real mess, nasty, nasty stuff, and the paw paw cream has seen some impressive healing, but they are still not there yet.

And I can tell you these flies BITE and they HURT!

I was being bitten by a fly yesterday and it did hurt! I found a recipe on here for a friend whose dogs' ears were being bitten - Permoxin with Vaseline - got to put it on each morning though.

Can I suggest some other ideas that might help too?

Collect poo regularly - I pick up the poo twice daily (more if I'm home).

Fly traps - this year I've purchased fly traps from Bunnings and they are great! Hang them up and empty them every 2-3 weeks although that is a gross job ....

Cleaning - clean off any cement where the dog(s) is marking/pooping - I used to do this with disinfectant but a friend told me about this last night:

sprinkle on bicarbonate of soda, wait a few minutes. Spray over some white vinegar and it will fizz. I poured over some warm water but my friend scrubs a bit of water over with a broom. Buy the no frills stuff and there's no chemicals involved that may harm the dog. It seemed to cut back the numbers of flies visiting anyhow!

Edited by dogmad

We spoke with our vet the other day regarding the fly problem. He told us a horse product called "Swift" will last for six weeks and is very good.

We have ordered this product and will receive it later today.