Barf Diet In Sa

Zensu

I know this topic has probably been done to death, but we have decided to switch from Advance and give the BARF diet a trial with our dogs. After my reading/research I still have a few questions...

Does anyone have a sample 7 or 14 day menu planned out that i can look at for idea's?

Does anyone in Adelaide know a good supplier for the RMB?

More questions to come.... LOL

Hi Gunoush,

I Barf feed but I use a regime specifically set up for me with my vet sometime ago to help control weight and a skin condition in an older westie.

Not sure what you mean by RMB but essentially, because of time constraints, I use the commercial barf patties which I buy from the eastern suburbs distributor here and veggies (raw as possible) at night and chicken necks in the morning. For change and variety each week I also give them canned sardines and mackeral - (homebrand - when I can get it :shrug:) - each night I also add omega three oil, joint guard and apple cider vinegar to their bowls.

Occasionally each week they also get natural yoghurt, eggs, beef bones, the occasional marrow bones and treats without any colours, flavours or preservatives in it - even raw carrot pieces for treats works really well with my guys. And even though they are oldies they are all bouncing around like puppies. No commercial dry food or canned food - but thats my preference.

My foster westie gets the same as the two older ones, just more protein and bigger quantities and is thriving (the little wretch!! :p )

Anyway that's what I do - and my weight nazi of a vet is happy - bless him - and my guys are happy too. Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :p

Edited by westiemum

HOwdy... thanks for replying... The BARF patties are a great idea... but when you are feeding 5 30 KG+ dogs, it makes it a Very expensive venture.

RMB - Raw Meaty BOnes... chicken frames, neckes, turkey etc

HOwdy... thanks for replying... The BARF patties are a great idea... but when you are feeding 5 30 KG+ dogs, it makes it a Very expensive venture.

Where abouts in Adelaide?

There is a butcher on South Rd, near the Brickworks Markets that is a Halal Certified butcher. I think it is called Rainbow Meats. Anyway due to the fact that they cater for a diverse clintele they usually have an excellet range of RMBs and offal available. A friend and I were driving along 1 time and saw a sign saying "Free dog bones" so went around the block and came back - to raw feeders that is an offer too good to pass up. We were both impressed with the wide range of meats and the good prices that they had. Unfortunately they are too far away to go to regularly for me but whenever I am down that way I tend to stop in. It has probably been 6 months since I stopped in there but we used to be able to get lamb and beef necks, chicken carcasses, hearts, livers, turkey pieces, occasionally goat. Basically anyting except pork. Often stuff wasn't on display and we would ask "what other bonees with lots of meat have you got?". And we have both also found when we have gone there that an older guy that is there is usually better to talk to as he disappears into the cool room and reappears with all sorts of good stuff.

Down south there is Rural Pet Meats at O'Hallorhan Hill - they have roo, lamb, pork, beef and chicken bones at good prices. I am in the northern suburbs and have not found anyting locally as good as either of these 2 places. If I had a deep freezer I would make a regular trip to the guy on South Rd.

eta: The place on South Rd would also cut bones to size for us - so if the lamb or beef necks were too big we could get them cut into 1/2 or 1/4 which is good when trying to manage weight on a dog.

Edited by piper

Yikes!! 5 x 30+kg woofers!!!! You don't need a cheap source you need a free source, a commercial mincer, time and a big freezer!! :eek: If I hear of anywhere I'll else I'll let you know - but the South Road butcher is probably your best bet - hope its within cooey of you.

RMB = raw meaty bones :confused: - ah well after the day at work I've had I'm not surprised I missed something obvious!!!

Good luck!

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

Sounds like a trip down to South Road might be in order for tomorrow or up to O'Halloran Hill.

If you are heading north along South Rd, you go past Brickworks then Radio Rentals and it is on your left before the next set of lights. It is a yellow (I think) building, set back from the road a bit.

Thanks muchly although mm Ness's freezer is stocked at the moment maybe I might wait till next week :eek: . I actually google searched rainbow meats and I got a little map which shows me where it is :confused: .

Gunoush, I feed two days of RMBs and my "world famous" BARF Mix on the third. :D Do you want the recipe?

As I have only 3 small dogs, I source most of their RMBs from the supermarket or Lennards (the chicken people). Any poultry supplier should have reasonably priced chicken frames - that's the basis of the diet's of all the BARF fed big dogs I know.

Do you have a big chest freezer - a BARFers best friend. :) I also have a commercial grade juicer for juicing all the veggies I use. I make the BARF mix up in bulk.

Can't help you on local suppliers down there I'm afraid.

Oooo PF - please can I have the recipe too?? I'd like to try it if I can ever find the time amongst all this bathing I'm doing at the moment!! :o

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

Poodlefan’s BARF Veggie Mix

Ok here it is. I've left references to the cat in in memory of my cat Haile (RIP)

I based this on Dr B's recipe for veggie patties in GYPWB. Lets see if I can explain it like a cook book does!

Ingredients

4 eggs (or can be added prior to serving)

1 small container of low fat natural yogurt

2 tablespoons of flax seed oil (I'm using a blend of oils these days called Megaderm)

4 tablespoons of Missing Link or other diet supplement as per dosage (optional)

2 kg of mixed fruit and veggies (I use some root veggies, some fruit and some green veggies in every mix)

1 kg full fat beef mince

1 large piece of liver or a few kidneys

Method

1. Add eggs, yogurt, flax seed oil and Missing Link to huge bowl (I use a big laundry bucket) and blend well

2. Add the mince and mix well . Remove cat from kitchen bench.

3. Juice a little of the fruit and veggies. Add some of the juice to a blender and blend the offal until smooth. Resist urge to smell mix – you will regret it. Try not to vomit at result’s appearance and add to main ingredients.

4. Run the rest of the fruit and veggies through the juicer or blender. Add all the pulp to the mix and enough juice to obtain a firm but not sloppy consistency. You should end up with about 30% mince mix and the rest is veggies.

6. Remove cat from bench again.

7. Cave in and give a little of fresh mince and mix to cat

8. Put into storage containers and freeze.

I find this mix feeds 5 mini poodles for 5 meals. My mix is evolving over time. I’ve used other additives like Power Blend, Barley Grass Power, Brewers Yeast, Vitamin C – I just change them from time to time. Currently I'm adding the an egg, Vitamin C, E and oil to each mix just before feeding. I'm using quite a bit of pumpking in the mix these days to keep my dog Lily's anal glands moving.

My large dog owning friends do all the stages from 1 to 3 and then freeze the mix, juicing fresh veggies separately to add to it. This cuts down on freezer space and the time taken to make the mix.

If you find your dog is not accepting the mix, add a little more fresh mince to their feed and slowly reduce the amount of mince they receive.

Looks like we're off to south road to have a look.

Unofrtunately we are in the northern suburbs aswell.

Ahwell

We get our meat from a wholesaler, I think it's called pet chef?, anyway it is across the road from the animal welfare shelter in Elizabeth - just off peachy road. Not open every day of the week though but there is a pet food store in the Elizabeth shopping centre (near woollies and donut king) they stock the same meat that you can get from the wholesaler. As for bones, we just keep an eye out in the local supermarkets and butchers. We ususally get chicken wings or necks, sometimes turkey. There used to be a pet shop at Angle vale that sold meat and bones. I found the meat to not be very fresh but the bones were better qaulity - often could get whole cicken frames and venison flaps from them. My dogs love chicken feet but they are hard to get now in my area.

Cheers.

Looks like we're off to south road to have a look.

Unofrtunately we are in the northern suburbs aswell.

Ahwell

We get our meat from a wholesaler, I think it's called pet chef?, anyway it is across the road from the animal welfare shelter in Elizabeth - just off peachy road. Not open every day of the week though but there is a pet food store in the Elizabeth shopping centre (near woollies and donut king) they stock the same meat that you can get from the wholesaler. As for bones, we just keep an eye out in the local supermarkets and butchers. We ususally get chicken wings or necks, sometimes turkey. There used to be a pet shop at Angle vale that sold meat and bones. I found the meat to not be very fresh but the bones were better qaulity - often could get whole cicken frames and venison flaps from them. My dogs love chicken feet but they are hard to get now in my area.

Cheers.

I've got a fried down in Adelaide that goes to a great pet meat supplier. I remember when I was there 3 years ago and started wishing we had something like that in Newcastle. I think it might have been petchef but not sure. I can find out if you want. Just Pm me and I'll talk to my friend and find our where it is for you

We get our meat from a wholesaler, I think it's called pet chef?,

Pet Chef is great. Once every few weeks I travel to Pet Chef ( about an hour and a half from me ) to get their chicken loaf and chicken frames. The dogs love the loaf. Even with adding petrol cost it is still cheaper than anywhere else.

Leanne