Doggrooma - In Here!

Hi Doggrooma,

A few weeks/months ago you gave me some advice on using Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo (vet grade) for my foster westie... well I bought the shampoo and the food supplement from here after extensive discussions with the sites owner (who was soooo helpful) and I cannot believe what a difference its made to him (and to my itchy paws Westie girl).

The stuff is fantastic - in fact I'm thinking of using it myself :) :D - its the loveliest shampoo apart from being really effective and doesn't have any nasties!!! Will be using it long term from here on in...

Thanks tons - very kind fo you to respond.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi laffi,

Yes I've used Aloveen and Malaseb - not Puppy Plush. I like both and still use the Aloveen with my older boy 'cos it suits him and Malaseb occasionally if they smell yeastie. (I have a young foster boy, and an older girl and boy - all westies).

Because the fosters skin was so bad and his coat absolutley terrible (like straw), I decided to try for another solution as I didn't think the Aloveen would work well enough with him - so after Doggrooma's glowing recommendation, and the fact it contained no chemicals I decided Evening Primrose Shampoo and the EPO Food Supplement was worth a try as I was hoping it would be kinder to his poor skin and coat and bearing in mind he was very poorly nourished when I got him - and I think that was the right call for him.

So I think the EPO stuff is fantastic - but I still think its a bit of 'trial and error' and 'horses for courses'.

Cheers,

Westiemum :)

What do you think was the problem with your foster Westie?

Why I ask is that my GR has been with me since puppyhood and he only got skin issues in mid November ie allergies to something environmental and more than likely seasonal. So I guess what I am wondering is, do you think that the foster you have has allergies or was it from neglect and malnutrition that he got such bad skin / coat?

I personally am doing everything I can to help my boy stop itching but thus far nothing really has helped 100% other than pheregan to put the boy to sleep for a few hours (am yet to try other antihistamines but I think I will be going down that path next.)

See I am wondering if it would be worth me buying this EPO Shampoo as well. Sorry not to hijack but just so you understand why I am asking this question is that Benson is on the following

approx 5-6mths on

EP Large Breed

Fish oil

Adovocate

Since syptoms started - a 5 day course of antibiotics, and then a ten day course, Cortisone shot the first vet visit, Cortisone tablets last visit. Advantix,

Daily EPO & Zinc tablets, Kelp every second day, Weekly wash with Eqyss Micro-tek and for a little over two weeks I think, he has been on Chinese Herbs as well.

Sorry I am just at my wits end, don't get me wrong Benson's scratching is nowhere near as bad as since starting all this stuff (no more hotspots since), but I would just like a solution as I hate to see him itching.

Hmnn FTPO.... I know exactly what you mean - get yourself a coffee - this explanation may take a while.... :dropjaw:

My conclusion is that the EPO shampoo has been effective with both my contact allergy girl and the shampoo and su[pplement with my malnourished, red skin foster westie boy. But I think its strongly supported by a good diet with no perservatives, colours flavours, or any other nasties which are notorious for skin trouble... - I'll see if I can explain... sorry for the lengthy post...

Older Westie boy - terrible skin when he came out of pf two years ago. Has been on barf for last 18 months - only one minor skin problem in his groin since which was quickly fixed with a cream from the vet - no other probs since. Skin and health very very good! (Bounces around like a puppy!!)

Middle-aged Westie girl - ex-breeding dog who came from a reg breeder 12 months ago - has been on a barf diet for over 12 months months, same as my older boy - in very good health except for worsening of itchy red paws since - you guessed it - November. Snowflakes hope in h*ll of finding the irritant in the back yard which I'm sure is where it is so therefore trying to treat the symptoms only and get her comfortable. Malaseb baths helped only in the short term - so deduced its not yeasties thats itching - likely environmental contact allergy - confirmed online with help from knowledgeable DOLers that this is the likely cause . Tried EPO shampoo (not the food supplement) and she's stopped itching and licking her paws - at least in front of me!! Therefore EPO works for her on her undetermined environmental contact allergy. Conclusion - healthy dog internally with environmental contact allergy helped by EPO shampoo.

Foster adolescent westie - malnourished, terrible red raw skin around his genitals and bottom on arrival in early December - coat completlye gone in patches. Had a course of antibiotics to deal with infection - finished those - helped alot but still red/pink. Started on EPO supplement and shampoo in late December - and redness is going (not completely gone yet but soooo much better).

Coat - on zinc, kelp, APC multi-vitamins, barf diet to start with. EPO shampoo and supplement arrived week between Christmas and New Year, took him off all that as Lynda suggested and he is just on the barf diet, EPO supplement and the shampoo (twice a week baths - :o) Coat is growing (you can see new better quality fur growing underneath and its so much thicker :rolleyes:) and is softening up as it seems to be gaining condition - even noticed a bit of shine last night! Conclusion: EPO supplement has helped this boy a lot - over and above his good barf diet, and the shampoo has been a good send for his coat).

So, conclusion is that the barf diet helps enormously with minor skin conditions and for long-term coat and skin maintenenace (cf older westie boy). The EPO shampoo really helps the major red itchy skin in an otherwise healthy dog (westie girl) and the supplment plus shampoo helps significantly in a malnourished red itchy dog.

And I'm following the regime Lynda devised for me even though its almost killing me!! :dropjaw:

Gee, thats the best explanation I can give and am happy for others to shoot polite contructive holes in my reasoning (never my strong point!!). Hope it helps FTPO.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

What do you think was the problem with your foster Westie?

Why I ask is that my GR has been with me since puppyhood and he only got skin issues in mid November ie allergies to something environmental and more than likely seasonal. So I guess what I am wondering is, do you think that the foster you have has allergies or was it from neglect and malnutrition that he got such bad skin / coat?

I personally am doing everything I can to help my boy stop itching but thus far nothing really has helped 100% other than pheregan to put the boy to sleep for a few hours (am yet to try other antihistamines but I think I will be going down that path next.)

See I am wondering if it would be worth me buying this EPO Shampoo as well. Sorry not to hijack but just so you understand why I am asking this question is that Benson is on the following

approx 5-6mths on

EP Large Breed

Fish oil

Adovocate

Since syptoms started - a 5 day course of antibiotics, and then a ten day course, Cortisone shot the first vet visit, Cortisone tablets last visit. Advantix,

Daily EPO & Zinc tablets, Kelp every second day, Weekly wash with Eqyss Micro-tek and for a little over two weeks I think, he has been on Chinese Herbs as well.

Sorry I am just at my wits end, don't get me wrong Benson's scratching is nowhere near as bad as since starting all this stuff (no more hotspots since), but I would just like a solution as I hate to see him itching.

You wouldn't happen to have any before & after photos would you?

This is Dante... We've tried so much, Western & Herbal, right now on a Blood Cleanser.

post-4036-1199773769_thumb.jpg

Edited by sas

Hmn... Dante looks very red - as to photos will have a look at my camera tonight - I remember taking some photos but taking shots of a wiggly adolescents bottom wasn't easy!!

Sas I'd seriously have a chat to Lynda and see what she suggests... at www.groomersproducts.com.au - at the very least it can't hurt.

Cheers,

Westiemum :rolleyes:

Ed to correct web address.

Edited by westiemum

Sas

Give Lynda a call she is an amazing wealth of information. I have seen and heard of amazing results not only with the EPO but also with the Royal Jelly products.

Lynda originally brought them into the country because one of her poodles reacted to every brand of shampoo she tried.

EPO Shampoo and Food Additive does not work for all but works for lots of dogs in getting there skin and metabolism back into decent working order.

Lynda is the best one to talk in regards to the products.

Sorry to be a devil's advocate, not all dogs are ok with EPO, some dogs will have allergic reaction to that. Read someone posted in other forum about this reaction. Do test out first before feeding them.

Thank you WM! :) I will give her a call tomorrow on my lunch break! EPO tablets have not made Benson's condition any worse - actually for him I think it has helped some - along with everyting else?!?! But then again I really don't know what is working at the moment but I guess what I am trying to do is boost his immune system to a point, that maybe by next year (hopefully) he has no more problems! (where is a praying emoticon when you need one?)

Also WM he has a half and half diet with bones, mince, sardines, tuna, vegies and fruit. All of which he has had well and truely before anything started in regard to scratching and biting (also have checked what is ok to feed.)

So thank you again - I mean I guess why I did such a long post was because I would prefer not to spend money on something that is not going to work as well as not medicating him if I do not have to with antihistamines.

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

FTPO

You can get all the groomers products from Classic Show Supplies here in Brisbane.

www.classicshowsupplies.com

Lynda tho is the best one to speak to in reagards to what she would recommend in terms of what will do the best job.\

Some dogs need to start on Vet grade Shampoo which is 5 % EPO, others are OK on normal EPO. Food Supplement should always be built up from a dribble on a meal addding a little over time till the recommended rate for the size of dog.

Please remember that using EPO shampoo correctly will require washing every 3 - 4 days and doing what is called a double wash each time. The product needs to sit on the dogs skin for 5 minutes before being rinsed off and repeating the process.

It is not a simple system of wash and rinse. It requires time and effort.

Malsam If you read my post I did say it does not work for all dogs. However those that it does work on it works well.

Edited by wylie

Hi peigirl :) - Thanks - yes its been more interesting than I thought it would be - and the fact I have three westies all responding well to different regimes I think shows it pays to think it through carefully and ask advice. So talking to Lynda really helped - I wasn't exactly sure which porducts to try - the royal jelly or the EPO - so it was good to get her recommendation first - so suggest it would be worth a call to her if you aren't sure which might be best.

But as Wylie and Malsam said - its not for everyone - but its certainly working very well here.

Cheers,

Very interesting thread WM. Think I will try this shampoo for Raf too!

My pleasure FTPO - so many DOLers have been so helpful to me I like to return the favour when I can - but feel I get more out of this site than a newbie like me can give back!! I think this is working with me because I spoke to Lynda first, described the symptoms really carefully and then followed her recommendations to the letter - so its good that you are going to talk to her first. So I hope it helps your baby too - its really distressing to see them so itchy and red.

Will you let us know how you get on?

Best,

Thank you WM! :) I will give her a call tomorrow on my lunch break! EPO tablets have not made Benson's condition any worse - actually for him I think it has helped some - along with everyting else?!?! But then again I really don't know what is working at the moment but I guess what I am trying to do is boost his immune system to a point, that maybe by next year (hopefully) he has no more problems! (where is a praying emoticon when you need one?)

Also WM he has a half and half diet with bones, mince, sardines, tuna, vegies and fruit. All of which he has had well and truely before anything started in regard to scratching and biting (also have checked what is ok to feed.)

So thank you again - I mean I guess why I did such a long post was because I would prefer not to spend money on something that is not going to work as well as not medicating him if I do not have to with antihistamines.

Edited by westiemum

I admit I am really interested in the EPO shampoo WM. I have known about EPO's benefits for the skin for along time but never knew there was a shampoo that used it as it's base.

My boy Rafael suffers from a combination of inflammatory bowel disease, food intolerances and atopic dermatitis. The IBD and food intolerances make his gut hyper-sensitive - I actually can't supplement his diet with fatty acids like EPO or DHA/EPA because they rip straight through him and irritate his entire stomach/digestive/bowel track. His atopic dermatitis manifests itself primarily through sensitive ears (excess wax and inflammation) but in peak pollen times like now, also makes his paws red and inflammed (but not as bad as the photo sas posted).

So basically I would be very interested to use the EPO on the exterior seen as I can not use it on the interior. I am used to weekly baths with Malaseb so I think I will try a weekly EPO bath and see if I notice any difference.

Is there an EPO conditioner to be used in conjunction with the shampoo?