Doggrooma - In Here!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I ordered the shampoo and the food supplement on the adive of the lovely Linda. Very helpful and informative, even though she was setting up for the show. I will report back in a few weeks as to how my boy gets on with the EPO stuff.

FTPO

NO! NO! NO!

If you have to use a conditioner ask Lynda about possibly using Groomers Tropical Cream Conditioner which is a semi leave in one.

Or your other option is to use EPO Spray On which Lynda would normally advise to use on any dog with really bad itchies.

Groomers shampoos do not mix with many other shampoos or conditioners because of there lack of salt.

Do not undo the good work you are currently doing!

I used to use Aloveen in the past and had more break outs and made my 2 dogs i used it on even worse. Never again!!

Edited by wylie

Hi LLD,

Mine took less than a week to arrive - and I've been sharing it around so will have to do a second order in the next month or so!!

FTPO - sorry I haven't been around this week... its been a frantic week. My guys are doing brilliantly on this stuff - love it love it love it. I'm finding with my itchy paw girl the trick is also to make sure I completely dry her paws off with the hairdryer after I've foot-bathed her - this seems to make a really big difference (I dry the rest of her off with the hair dryer too but not so fussed about getting the rest of her bone dry as I am with her paws - and its helping enormously. I think its also a case of keeping at it for a while - bit like barf and jointguard - the effects are really good if you stick at it for a couple of months... I'm finding people are stopping me in the street (not unusual for beautiful westies anyway :o ) but I am getting more comments about their healthy shiny coats... so I must be doing something right!!

Cheers

Westiemum :o

Congrats Westiemum

Glad to hear that it is all working for you and you love the products as much as I do.

LLD Archie will post as soon as he can which is normally the same day so it will depend on how long things normally take to get to you from Melbourne. I know things take about a week to get to me however i do not have next day delivery from Capital cities as i am in an outer country area.

Keep up all the experiences Lynda loves hearing about them!!

Thanks Wylie,

Oh and I forgot to mention - the foster westies skin, including his bottom, now looks normal!!! :o And his coat is so much better!! (He's now in desperate need of his clip next weekend!). He actually looks like a real westie at last!! :o

Here's a photo taken a fortnight ago...

post-11746-1202016119_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Westiemum

Congrats Westiemum

Glad to hear that it is all working for you and you love the products as much as I do.

LLD Archie will post as soon as he can which is normally the same day so it will depend on how long things normally take to get to you from Melbourne. I know things take about a week to get to me however i do not have next day delivery from Capital cities as i am in an outer country area.

Keep up all the experiences Lynda loves hearing about them!!

Wow westiemum,

You make sure when he finds his new home that you insist that they continue to use the EPO shampoo.

Make sure that you give them all of Lyndas details so they know how best to continue his grooming regime.

Tess32 and I bought a 2.5 ltr bottle to share at the expo yesterday. My 21 week old Goldie pup has a little dry itchy skin so going to give him his first EPO bath in about 30 minutes. Is it ok to use on my Kelpie who doesn't have any itching?

Hi Alison,

I use it on my westie boy who doesn't have any itching problems - and his coat is beautiful - can't see any reason why not - its such good shampoo - but I'm sure Wylie can give you some advice.

Cheers,

Tess32 and I bought a 2.5 ltr bottle to share at the expo yesterday. My 21 week old Goldie pup has a little dry itchy skin so going to give him his first EPO bath in about 30 minutes. Is it ok to use on my Kelpie who doesn't have any itching?

I am going to recommend it to my brother to use on his Westie with a skin allergy too. Are Westie's prone to skin allergies? They sure seem to be. I think i might have read somewhere that it is something to do with the white coat.

Hi again,

Yes westies are prone to skin conditions - unfortunately its the one weakness the breed has - but I've found that they are easily controlled through good diet, no preservatives, artificial colours or flavours, no fillers (usually wheat or corn products) or meat by-products - ie in my case a barf diet - and a good shampoo without any chemical nasties in it (enter EPO shampoo). Not sure about the white coat connection - haven't heard that before - but either way I find its easily controlled with a bit of common sense diet and coat/skin care.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

I am going to recommend it to my brother to use on his Westie with a skin allergy too. Are Westie's prone to skin allergies? They sure seem to be. I think i might have read somewhere that it is something to do with the white coat.

Hi Laffi,

At the moment I'm just using the shampoo for my older westie boy and girl and the food supplement and shampoo with my foster boy. The best explanation I can give is in one of my previous posts - see below.

I haven't been using the the conditioner but having said that, I think I might try it as well next time I put in an order to see if I can get even better results... I think I'll try the leave-in spray conditioner on my girls itchy feet to see if that helps - and maybe for 'between baths' use ... and I might try the older westies on the supplement as well... we'll see.

Cheers,

Westiemum :champagne:

Hmnn FTPO.... I know exactly what you mean - get yourself a coffee - this explanation may take a while.... :happydance:

My conclusion is that the EPO shampoo has been effective with both my contact allergy girl and the shampoo and su[pplement with my malnourished, red skin foster westie boy. But I think its strongly supported by a good diet with no perservatives, colours flavours, or any other nasties which are notorious for skin trouble... - I'll see if I can explain... sorry for the lengthy post...

Older Westie boy - terrible skin when he came out of pf two years ago. Has been on barf for last 18 months - only one minor skin problem in his groin since which was quickly fixed with a cream from the vet - no other probs since. Skin and health very very good! (Bounces around like a puppy!!)

Middle-aged Westie girl - ex-breeding dog who came from a reg breeder 12 months ago - has been on a barf diet for over 12 months months, same as my older boy - in very good health except for worsening of itchy red paws since - you guessed it - November. Snowflakes hope in h*ll of finding the irritant in the back yard which I'm sure is where it is so therefore trying to treat the symptoms only and get her comfortable. Malaseb baths helped only in the short term - so deduced its not yeasties thats itching - likely environmental contact allergy - confirmed online with help from knowledgeable DOLers that this is the likely cause . Tried EPO shampoo (not the food supplement) and she's stopped itching and licking her paws - at least in front of me!! Therefore EPO works for her on her undetermined environmental contact allergy. Conclusion - healthy dog internally with environmental contact allergy helped by EPO shampoo.

Foster adolescent westie - malnourished, terrible red raw skin around his genitals and bottom on arrival in early December - coat completlye gone in patches. Had a course of antibiotics to deal with infection - finished those - helped alot but still red/pink. Started on EPO supplement and shampoo in late December - and redness is going (not completely gone yet but soooo much better).

Coat - on zinc, kelp, APC multi-vitamins, barf diet to start with. EPO shampoo and supplement arrived week between Christmas and New Year, took him off all that as Lynda suggested and he is just on the barf diet, EPO supplement and the shampoo (twice a week baths - :o) Coat is growing (you can see new better quality fur growing underneath and its so much thicker :o) and is softening up as it seems to be gaining condition - even noticed a bit of shine last night! Conclusion: EPO supplement has helped this boy a lot - over and above his good barf diet, and the shampoo has been a good send for his coat).

So, conclusion is that the barf diet helps enormously with minor skin conditions and for long-term coat and skin maintenenace (cf older westie boy). The EPO shampoo really helps the major red itchy skin in an otherwise healthy dog (westie girl) and the supplment plus shampoo helps significantly in a malnourished red itchy dog.

And I'm following the regime Lynda devised for me even though its almost killing me!! :happydance:

Gee, thats the best explanation I can give and am happy for others to shoot polite contructive holes in my reasoning (never my strong point!!). Hope it helps FTPO.

Cheers,

Westiemum :champagne:

What do you think was the problem with your foster Westie?

Why I ask is that my GR has been with me since puppyhood and he only got skin issues in mid November ie allergies to something environmental and more than likely seasonal. So I guess what I am wondering is, do you think that the foster you have has allergies or was it from neglect and malnutrition that he got such bad skin / coat?

I personally am doing everything I can to help my boy stop itching but thus far nothing really has helped 100% other than pheregan to put the boy to sleep for a few hours (am yet to try other antihistamines but I think I will be going down that path next.)

See I am wondering if it would be worth me buying this EPO Shampoo as well. Sorry not to hijack but just so you understand why I am asking this question is that Benson is on the following

approx 5-6mths on

EP Large Breed

Fish oil

Adovocate

Since syptoms started - a 5 day course of antibiotics, and then a ten day course, Cortisone shot the first vet visit, Cortisone tablets last visit. Advantix,

Daily EPO & Zinc tablets, Kelp every second day, Weekly wash with Eqyss Micro-tek and for a little over two weeks I think, he has been on Chinese Herbs as well.

Sorry I am just at my wits end, don't get me wrong Benson's scratching is nowhere near as bad as since starting all this stuff (no more hotspots since), but I would just like a solution as I hate to see him itching.