Doggrooma - In Here!

I have a GSD with itchy skin, he is on Evening Primrose oil capsules.

Just reading between the lines, do you have to blow dry the dog after washing with EPO shampoo?

Thanks Daggles for the response - yes (brain dead this morning) I do blow dry him and he is also taking the EPO in his food. It has only been a week, so I do not expect to see miracles but I was curious about his coat.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading between the lines, do you have to blow dry the dog after washing with EPO shampoo?

Thanks Daggles for the response - yes (brain dead this morning) I do blow dry him and he is also taking the EPO in his food. It has only been a week, so I do not expect to see miracles but I was curious about his coat.

Just wondering if you have ruled out mites? just a thought because they leave the coat with a greasy feel.

I havent tried the shampoo yet so I am not sure if it would leave the coat greasy, I remember Westiemum saying how soft her dogs coat was.

The shampoo seems like it is very good, I will be ordering some soon and will let you all know how I go too.

aloveen too, it bought my dog up in welts!

Loraine

It sounds like his greasy coat is a part of his whole skin problem.

EPO shampoo does not always work with the first application. In some dogs it can take 6 or so washes to start really seeing the results.

Remember nothing we do with our dogs skin is a quick fix. Months and sometimes years have gotten our dogs to where we and they are looking for solutions.

Give it all some time to work. The results will eventually be forthcoming

Just wondering if you have ruled out mites? just a thought because they leave the coat with a greasy feel.

Yes Daggles, I had thought of mites and I use Advance which covers fleas and mites.

Wylie

It sounds like his greasy coat is a part of his whole skin problem. We have considered this - he is a stresser and that brings his skin up and the itching starts

EPO shampoo does not always work with the first application. In some dogs it can take 6 or so washes to start really seeing the results.

Remember nothing we do with our dogs skin is a quick fix. Months and sometimes years have gotten our dogs to where we and they are looking for solutions.

Give it all some time to work. The results will eventually be forthcoming

I wasn't expecting it to work for some time, I do have patience - we have been dealing with his itchy probs for some long time now :rofl:

Thanks for your responses.

Hi All

I have just spoken to Lynda and Archie. They have been away with the van at shows all weekend.

However in regards to orders if you have provided a mobile number they have said that they have tried a few and no one has answered or got back to them either.

So if you have provided a mobile number could you please get back to them preferably with a landline or somewhere where a message can be left.

Lynda will also be going thru all the emails tonight and double checking that orders have been completed etc.

And please remember that it can take more than 2 days for an order to get to you. As soon as payment is recieved parcels are sent out immediately.

Lynda and Archie are so pleased so many of you are finding great benefit in the Groomers Range of Products and are spreading the word of what great products they have.

Cheers

Wow! I've just read through the whole thread and found it very interesting! I did post another thread about my dog's itchy, red legs. I had been using Malaseb for a while, but recently it's become worse and Pepper has been licking quite badly. I went to the vet today to get a skin scraping and he said it wasn't mites and he couldn't see anything that would cause the redness and itchiness. Mind you, I've only been using the Malaseb weekly, so will have to try twice weekly. I am interested in this EPO Shampoo though.

Just one question, is it detrimental to the dog's coat to wash so often? My breeder told me to bathe once a month or less, but I was wondering if it is different when you are treating a skin allergy?

How do you know when to come off the twice weekly washings of EPO? I mean, I know that if the dog stops itching and doesn't look so red . . . can you then go back to your normal bathing routine?

HI Wingus

With EPO once you have the skin condition under control once a week washing is fine. If it flares up again then you go back to twice weekly.

The EPO shampoo is gentle on dog skin so there is no issue with washing on a regular basis.

A lot of people actually buy it to wash there own hair with as they may have things like psoriasis.

Many dogs do not react well to Malaseb or Aloveen and i have one of those. Never any reaction with EPO at all.

Winterpaws can you PM me with your details please and i will get on to Lynda and Archie for you so we can trace your email back to see where it is at.

Edited by wylie

Wingus, Totally agree that frequent washing is undesirable and can 'ruin' a coat, dry it out or make it produce excessive grease to compensate (same as human hair). However, I have found it absolutely necessary with the skin trouble dog. Frequency to be reduced once problem under control (or seasonally as itching subsides). Personally, I do not think you would wash a dog more than once a month under normal circumstances. I prefer every 2- 3 months and only if smelly or some reason (rolling in bird poo). May depend on the breed...

Update: I started the treatment last friday, I bathed them twice in the vet grade one and from now on it will be the regular EPO shampoo. I made sure I blow dry their paws (thanks for the tip). They are also on the EPO supplement (10ml/day).

Their skin looks so much better: I don't see the red, itchy spots any more and my golden retriever's fur is getting less orange on her elbows, armpits and paws.

It is possible that it's working so fast? (not that I am complaining :thumbsup: )

HI Laffi

If you are using the food supplement as well as the shampoo. You are working the Epo through both the internal system and the external system. Some dogs respond extremely quickly.

Other dogs with there already weakened immune systems it can take a little longer.

Please remember that clean and healthy skin makes for coat growth for those that are worrying about bathing weekly or more. Most show dogs are washed weekly and some breeds get washed daily in the USA.

Well Benson is doing really well on the EPO shampoo and I have him on EPO, fish oil and flaxseed tablets 2 each per day. After the first two weeks of every 4 day bathing the orange that was on his coat started to fade and now has completely disappeared, the redness of his skin between his hind legs has died down signiificantly, almost normal and we are now onto every week bathing!

I really think it has been a massive improvement but I am now focusing on repairing his immune system, through a Homeopathic vet - so I will let you know how we go on that front too.

But I back EPO shampoo 100% for the relief it has provided my boy!!!

HI Wingus

With EPO once you have the skin condition under control once a week washing is fine. If it flares up again then you go back to twice weekly.

The EPO shampoo is gentle on dog skin so there is no issue with washing on a regular basis.

A lot of people actually buy it to wash there own hair with as they may have things like psoriasis.

Many dogs do not react well to Malaseb or Aloveen and i have one of those. Never any reaction with EPO at all.

Winterpaws can you PM me with your details please and i will get on to Lynda and Archie for you so we can trace your email back to see where it is at.

I have psoriasis on my hands, and they are really much better after shampooing Zedley only twice so far :laugh: