What Are Dolers Feeding Their Dogs

The prey model diet does actually sound more logical to me - is there any literature 'against it', as opposed to feeding the BARF diet?

BARF feeders seem to be under the wrong impression that dogs are omnivores when it has been scientifically proven that they are carnivores and their digestive systems are too short to digest veggies. All literature 'against it' seems to focus on the 'dogs are omnivores' thing.

To me it does seem to make sense that they eat more MEAT and not just bones with meat...?

Yes - would a wolf (dog) look at a deer and think 'Whoah! Look at all that bone!'...of course not it would be 'Look at all that MEAT!'. Plus most large prey animals have bones that are too large or hard to eat, so bone does take up only around 10% of the overall diet (with 80% meat and 10% offal (half of which should be liver).

We have always fed our dogs using the diet set out by Juliette De Bairacli Levy in her book as a base. It includes a small amount of cereal and raw veggies which are mixed into the meat. This is to help act as "roughage" since the domestic dog rarely gets his meat with the fur still attached. But the diet does includes/reccomends a breakfast of cereal/milk/water mix and a day of no meat (cereal meal instead) and then a day of fasting, and of course bones are to be included with the meat meals. My family have always followed this diet for our dogs and they have thrived on it.

Cheers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure I want my dogs to look like a skanky wild dog.

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Wild dogs aren't known for their fabulous body odour or clean fresh breath either.

Haha, good point :p

I would be interested to see how my dog would cope with the prey model diet. I am certain he would just LOVE all the food, because he eats ANYTHING - but that's the problem. He is a bottomless pit, and my family thinks I'm SO cruel for underfeeding him ( :laugh: !), so I keep the vegetable content at the BARF level mainly to add bulk to the diet.

Not sure I want my dogs to look like a skanky wild dog.

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Wild dogs aren't known for their fabulous body odour or clean fresh breath either.

The 'skanky wild dogs' only look like that because they don't get any medical care, no-one grooms them, no parasite prevention and there are never enough large prey animals to go 'round, so they have to resort to scavenging.

Think more about wild wolves in untamed wilderness before humans destroyed much of their habitat and wiped out many of their natural prey.

I feed Odette EP Holistic Chicken and Rice formula.. She is 4 1/2 months old, I was feeding her Hills SD Puppy until i read on this forum actually that its not much better than junk food...

There is a great little pet place around the corner which stocks EP, but only the holistic formula.. Puppy loves it (although she isnt a particularly fussy eater to begin with), and looks the absolute picture of health.

I also give her tidbits, like pigs ears, raw bones... She loves Nutripet on the odd occasion too, that stuff smells divine! Like rich caramel....

To be honest, if I offered her a bowl of the EP Holistic, or raw mince, or even the Nutripet, and offered her a bowl of my cat's poop, i still think she'd go for the poop first.

On another note, my mum's dog has eaten supermarket cat food (would never touch dog food) and table scraps its entire life.

The dog has NEVER been ill, ever, and just went past her 16th birthday.... Now all she'll eat is Mortadella and other salamis from the supermarket, no kidding, or leftovers, will not touch anything else. I sent some Nutripet home with mum the other day, thinking she would probably eat that, and its healthier than the salami... At 16, i figure the dog can eat whatever she likes, she's done the time!

I feed my lot a mixture of raw chicken necks, boiled brown rice and a bit of Coprice Working Dog for bulk.

Coprice has no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives and is very good value for money.

I also add a fish oil capsule to their meal daily.

They are all in the best of health, with wonderful glossy coats.

They also get a lovely big marrowbone each, every couple of weeks, to keep their teeth and gums healthy.

post-22220-1200111631_thumb.jpg

i have a nearly 4 month old doberman pup.

im feeding wheet bix with a mix of puppy milk and water for breakfast

a bit of vegimite toast somedays for a treat

a little bit of puppy can food with puppy supercoat for dinner

and either puppy milk,water and brown rice for supper or a commercial puppy porrige

i was just wondering whether you think this is a good diet for a growing puppy, and if anyone can offer any tips or advice on a better diet.

thanks

Jess

If you look at the following link and scroll down throught he photos you will see what foods I raise my litters of pups on. I advise all purchasers of my pups to continue on this food - with some adjustments as the pup grows. As I see it this is a diet for life and all life stages although having said that I do not always folloow it myself now days.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~hendo/Whelp/whelp.html

If you really don't want to go down the BARF track and it can be very expensive in my experience there are plenty of dogs thriving on dry food either with or without additions.

A dry food I have found very good for my dogs is eother Uncle Albers or Barko (may be clalled Great Barko) only costs about $27 for 22kg. Lysterfield Produce or Robbos at Dandenong sell it

Edited by curlyking

i feed my baby royal canin german shepherd adult formula and i think it's awesome. it's nice big pieces which she loves and smells nice and meaty.

she's only been on that the last two big bags and for years befor that she was on a mixyure of Iams or Eukanuba, depending on how poor i was when i went to buy a bag, or what they had in stock.

even thouh she's only 15kg, i feed her on the large breed formula and it has extra's for her joints and as she's a basset x german shepherd think she needs it!

i swear by the premium foods and it's nice and easy at meal times bcoz i just measure her out a cup and she's done :) she still gets chicken necks, leftover meat and treats occasionally but it's easier and better whe i'm cleaning up her poo's if i give her the premium stuff.

plus cost per day works out cheaper than feeding anything else.

I feed Nutrience Senior to my 5 yr old Golden with Hip dysplasia and arthritis. She has an immune disorder and also has a rare type of Diabetes, so a very restricted diet for her.

My other Golden is 2 yrs old and is on Eagle Pack Power. In her previous home she was fed on pedigree meaty bites. I gradually got her onto the high premium diet because i didnt want her on that and her coat was in disgusting condition. So eventually we got her worked up to a good quality diet. She gets raw chicken wings too.

The power formula was suggested to me for getting her weight up, shes in perfect condition now and burns it off easily. For the moment i'll leave her on it, because she does well on the food and seems to burn it off.

Edited by LucyCharzie

I feed my puppy Gracie, primarily Advance Puppy Rehydratable, which she seems to like, along with chicken wings several times a week. Occasionally I give her an egg and she gets usual treats. I've been given a Eukanuba sample, though, and if she likes that I might consider changing her over.

However, on the other hand, our 12 year old, Lucy (a bitser) has been fed on supermarket food her whole life, she loves it and has never had a single health problem. We've only recently learnt about how bad supermarket food is, and I don't think she'd appreciate the change now :laugh:

I was feeding Duke Royal Canin GSD until he started getting goopy eyes and itchies.

I switched to Eaglepack Natural and haven't looked back. I am easily maintaining is weight now and his skin and coat are lovely.

He also gets a variety of meaty bones, sardines, youghurt and eggs throughout the week.

20wo Golden Retriever is on Eagle Pack Holistic. Absolutely love it. He does get vegies, sardines, low fat cottage cheese, premium mince and yoghurt added for a bit of variety here there and everywhere (obviously not all at once). Oh and an egg every fortnight or when I remember.

My Afghan has Eukanuba Large Breed Adult (I'm very happy with it, so is he) and my JRT has Bonnie Working.

Both will eat absolutley anything I give them though.

Also a spoon of Nature's Gift can each night or table scraps

Edited by Sir WJ

Atlas is on Nutrience, Holistic. Kaos is as well at the moment, but only till i can get down town to find another brand to get her, she does well on everything, so will prob take her back to supercoat.

Had them on nutro, they liked the first 2 bags, then nutro had a bad batch come through, dogs hated it, i wont touch the stuff now. I also had them on Bonnie , and they were so hungry the whole time! I had to feed them so much of it

They get fresh meat every day, chicken, beef , fish and sometimes roo, they get a big bone whenever i have 2 days off and am not doing anything (have to keep an eye on them) they get chicken frames once a week, and vegies and raw eggs.