What Are Dolers Feeding Their Dogs

Hi there fellow Dolers :laugh:

this subject probably has been discussed before, but seeing i'm only new to Dol i'm very interested in what everyone is feeding their dogs.

My two fussy Australian terriers, are constantly changing their mind about their food, at the moment their eating the VIP fresh meat rolls ( they will only have the chicken & rice flavour ) & will have eat a little bit of the supercoat dry food. But I'm wondering how long it will be before they go off this food as well :coffee:

so it would be great to know what everyone else out there is feeding, especially for the fussy ones.

Cheers :coffee:

Baileys mum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mazza eats what ever I choose to feed him....otherwise it gets taken away and fed to him 4 hours later :coffee:

I feed him half a cup of royal canin twice a day, mixed with 3 tablespoons of whatever I find or have planned to have in the fridge e.g. steamed pumpkin, boiled chicken, chicken mince, lowfat mince and rice, sardines etc.

He gets a chicken wing for lunch/ or if I'm leaving the house for more than half an hour I save it for then.

I also train him atleast once a day so he gets a few bits of treat strap/cheese/dog biscuit then for extra encouragement

He was once fussy...but quickly discovered that resulted in hunger, plus as a mini schnauzer his food obsession has increased with age :coffee:

At one stage i had a very fussy,underweight german shepherd who i resorted to handfeeding at times.

I was introduced to Nutro Lamb and Rice and my gsd girl is now a great weight and no longer fusy,always finishing her meals.I add extras like chicken carcasses,chicken necks,brisket bones,sardines,eggs etc as well

One is fussy, one is not. I recently got sick of feeding a variety and often having one decide not to eat. Oe day chicken necks were great, the next not edible.

I would just serve it up the next day anyway. When I was at the vets recently I asked advice. Now I beleived the vet when she told me she once was in this dogfood study at the uni in Sydney. She learnt a bit about food types and comparisons.

Anyway she suggested a good quality dry food (Eukanuba). I can control calories better this way. So now it is dry food with bones now and again. Somedays they get human beef but I think I will use that for training and lay off fatty treats.

If they don't eat it it's there the next time. One dog is losing weight so it is better. She did weigh 4 kg but 3.8 is a target. Too small to carry excess, specially for agility.

Not too harsh? I wouldn't mind trying Nutro as our kennel reccommends this too.

post-22220-1200111631_thumb.jpg

i have a nearly 4 month old doberman pup.

im feeding wheet bix with a mix of puppy milk and water for breakfast

a bit of vegimite toast somedays for a treat

a little bit of puppy can food with puppy supercoat for dinner

and either puppy milk,water and brown rice for supper or a commercial puppy porrige

i was just wondering whether you think this is a good diet for a growing puppy, and if anyone can offer any tips or advice on a better diet.

thanks

Jess

mine aren't fussy at all. I give one meal (in the morning) which is always dry food (eaglepack). I want them to know that sometimes that is all you might get (easler for someone else to feed also). The evening meal is better and rotates around: barf patties, lamb shanks, natures gift/dry food, meat & a little veg.

post-22220-1200111631_thumb.jpg

i have a nearly 4 month old doberman pup.

im feeding wheet bix with a mix of puppy milk and water for breakfast

a bit of vegimite toast somedays for a treat

a little bit of puppy can food with puppy supercoat for dinner

and either puppy milk,water and brown rice for supper or a commercial puppy porrige

i was just wondering whether you think this is a good diet for a growing puppy, and if anyone can offer any tips or advice on a better diet.

thanks

Jess

There are plenty of threads around here about what to feed. I personally wouldn't feed my pup what you're feeding.. The grain in weet bix is hard for pups to digest, plus it doesn't really have any nutrients. Apart from what's in the supercoat, your dog isn't getting any protein and dogs should have more protein than carbohydrates in their diet. At nearly 4 months they definately don't need puppy milk or puppy porridge.

Just so you get an idea of other things you could feed, my pup gets Eagle Pack dry food mixed with grated vegies and raw mince (beef, chicken or roo). Occassionally she gets sardines, a raw egg or a blob of yoghurt added in too. She also gets chicken necks or lamb brisket bones during the day.

Mine are fed a raw chicken frame (or wing/necks/turkey neck/kangaroo tail etc) for breakfast given whole so they can crunch up the bones. For dinner they get raw pet mince with included crushed bone, fruit & vegies (I buy it already made up) plus about 1/2 cup quality dry food for dinner. I often change the dry food brand - but always a high quality one (eg. nutrience or pro-plan).

I really dislike puppies getting wheat bix and milk. They are not people and do not need grains or milk in their diet at all.

thanks for your input, ive been trying to research what to feed him but everthing seems to contridict each other.

i'll definatly stop the weetbix and milk. i want to star feeding him more meat but didn't want to go the full barf diet. it can also be quie hard as i live in a small town with an even smaller butchers.

badboyz- i think ill try and find what you use, the pre-made one.

ive heard alot of eaglepack food but have not seen it anywhere, we get all our pet food from a supplier in lysterfield,vic, and i dont think ive ever seen it there. is supercoat still a good brand to feed him??

Thanks again, greatly appreciated. :coffee:

I dislike Supercoat intensely, IMO it's a cheap food full of fillers, I did try it once and it didn't agree with my dogs at all, lots of soft voluminous poo and the dogs lost condition, I didn't even finish the bag.

I feed Nutro Lamb and Rice but I have fed Eagle Pack Holistic in the past with excellent results. I also feed raw human grade mince or diced meat, cooked lambs fry, raw eggs, chicken wings/necks, canned salmon/sardines/mackerel, yoghurt and brisket bones. Once a week I cook up a stew of chicken pieces and vegetables, remove the bones and feed it to them over their dry food. I don't feed my dogs cereals of any kind including rice although they'll occasionally get a piece of toast and I don't feed them milk. I use cheese or cabana as training treats and they occasionally get pigs ears.

ETA Baileys mum you are creating fussy dogs by constantly changing their food and pandering to them, give them their food and if they don't eat it in 10 minutes take it away until the next mealtime, they'll soon get the idea. Don't worry if they don't eat for 2 or 3 days, no healthy dog will starve itself to death and you'll win in the end.

Edited by Miranda

i'll get him off supercoat then, if i can find eaglepack ill try that other wise ive been recomended ekenuba or advance/advantage(cant remember what its called) do you believe there any good??

im going to the butchers monday so ill see if they can get in some chicken frames and frys for me.

cazzaritch- with the homemade barf mix is that just minced up meats and vegies??

Thanks

Jessca I see that you live in Cockatoo, Terrys Meats in Mooroolbark has cheap meat, I have got beef mince there for $3.99 kg and they also have chicken wings and frames. Scrub-A-Dub Dog (I think that's what they call the place) have Eagle Pack and they are on Burwood Highway at Ferntree Gully. I'm not a fan of Eukanuba, if I had to feed either Euk or Advance I'd choose Advance.

ill have to have a look at the place in mooroolbark. i just looked up the price for eagle pack, i wish i could give my puppy something that good but i could never afford over $100 for 15kgs, nutros a bit cheaper but i still couldn't afford that we go through roughly 20-30kgs of dry food a month as we have a 70+kg bullmastiff as well :coffee: and once my pups on adult dry food it would become quite expensive.

but hopefully by the time kaisers reaches a year old i should have full time employment and beable to treat the dogs to a good quality dry food.

I feed a home made raw mix of meat, veges, cheese, eggs, oatmeal etc as well as bones, chicken pieces and Eagle Pack Holisitic. Extras are natural yoghurt, sardines, cottage cheese, tinned mackerel, tinned asparagus, whole apples (as a treat to chew) My dogs are a 10 month old Australian Shepherd and a 13yo Lhasa Apso......they both like it and they are both thriving on it. I don't put up with fussiness....my old girl would be if I let her, but she's figured out over the years that she eats it or goes without. And if she doesn't eat it in a timely manner, it will be gobbled up by our other dog.

Tonight they are getting oyster blade steak, which was on special in Coles.....chopped up into chunks. They don't get stuff like this very often but it's a nice treat for them every now and then.

Hi everyone, :laugh:

Thanks for all the great ideas & advice, wow! i can't beleive the variety of foods people feed their dogs, maybe i need to start making their meals a little bit more interesting. :laugh:

i do admit i spoil them rotten, i suppose that happens when you only have fur babies.

i might have to cut back on their treats a bit, like pigs ears , raw bones, dog biscuits & see if that makes a difference.

i will also start taking their food away if they don't eat it straight away & giving to them again the next day.

Hope fully they will start getting the hint & stop treating the house like its a restraunt & i'm their personal chef. :coffee:

Cheers :coffee:

Baileys mum

Vinnie and Cooper eat everything they are given in about 2 seconds cos I always leave them starving :D

Lambs flap or chicken frame every second day. Lamb flap days they get nothing else.

Advance turkey and rice kibble on every other day apart from lamb flap day with either raw egg, sardines or cottage cheese.