Anti Histamine For Contact Allergies

SarasMum

The only antihistamine I have on hand is Phenergan. Can I use that to stop my staffy x scratching? She is really red today and a bit lumpy too. I have been trying to keep her inside but obviously there are times she has to go out.

What dosage would I give her? I only have the oral one too that I used on my kids. She is about 30kg.

Edited to add that I found some Claratyne for kids syrup too. Its the 1-12 years one. The active ingredient is Loratadine 5mg/5ml. Its non drowsy too so I would prefer if I could use that instead of the Phenergan.

Edited by SarasMum

I have used a few different types of antihistimines on my dogs for their allergies as recommended by my Vet.

The first few I tried didn't work and my Vet suggested I try Phenergan, which works well. I have larger dogs (about 40kg) and give them a kids dose, which is one 10mg tablet, as required.

I haven't used Claratyne.

I assume you have seen a Vet for your dog's allergy problems? As with any medications I would still recommend that you get your Vet's ok before use.

I have used a few different types of antihistimines on my dogs for their allergies as recommended by my Vet.

The first few I tried didn't work and my Vet suggested I try Phenergan, which works well. I have larger dogs (about 40kg) and give them a kids dose, which is one 10mg tablet, as required.

I haven't used Claratyne.

I assume you have seen a Vet for your dog's allergy problems? As with any medications I would still recommend that you get your Vet's ok before use.

I saw the vet when it first happened, which was not long after we brought her home 2 summers ago. She was given a cortisone injection. I really want to try and work this out myself if at all possible as my previous dog had to be pts at 8yo due to the medications she was given for her allergies. I saw that poor dog suffer worse with the meds than without but not knowing any better at the time I thought it was our only solution. I dont want this dog resigned to the same fate. I would rather see what I can do for her myself that isnt going to cause her long term side effects. She is absolutely fine for 10 months of the year but gets red and welty and itchy for a couple of months. I have been keeping her inside a fair bit, trying to keep her totally off the grass when I can. We have been keeping her away from the grass after watering because I thought this might be a trigger too with the mould spores sticking to the ground. I apply pawpaw ointment to her as well. It is only on her underside so definately a contact allergy.

Also I dont have antihistamine tablets, only liquid. I will try her on some Claratyne, it says 5ml per 30kg child so I hope that dosage is ok for her.

Here are the safe levels of different human antihistamines to give to dogs!

Telfast 60 mg tabs - Give 2mg/kg twice a day (so a roughly 30kg dog - 1 tab twice a day)

Phenergan - I've got variable doses here, but you should be safe to give 1 wtmg tab twice a day

Polaramine 0.4mg/kg twice a day

Claratyne 0.5mg per kg once a day.

Hi Trish

She is good today, it seems to come and go, its not very constant. She was good with the first lot of Claratyne but proceeded to up chuck the second lot. I will have to buy some tablets I think but it did work the first time around. I have been putting Pawpaw ointment on her, which she loves lol, and it clears it up really quickly. I would just like to stop the itching if I can.

I have given her a huge hug from you which isnt hard when she is practically on your lap most of the time lol.

true contact allergies are actually quite rare. I'm talking a reaction which involved the body producing histamines etc.

Most contact problems are actually contact irritations.

If its a contact irritant, antihistamines are unlikely to work and you need to avoid the irritant. for example, wandering jew makes dogs itchy, but its not because they are allergic to it, its just the reaction the plant gives to the skin, kind of like stinging nettle on people.

If the problem is seasonal, (spring/summer) then it is most likely going to inhalent allergies from pollens in the air, in which case you may have success with antihistamines.

Could also be food allergies.

Is the problem all year round?

No its definately seasonal. She doesnt itch at all for about 9 to 10 months but as soon as it heats up she starts. Its only under her legs, belly and chest, where she lays on the grass. We have kikuyu here which I cant replace as we live on half an acre and I cant afford to returf the lot.

She is fine today, as she was yesterday but the day before she was quite red with blotches all over her chest and legs. Her hair is almost non existant on her underside now. There is nothing different in the yard now that wasnt there all year.

Phenergan comes in 10mg and 30 mg tablets, so check the dosage if you're going to try that one!

Will make the dog sleepy.

Actually its 10 and 25 mg tabs... and it depends on the dogs, just like people: both my dogs get 25mg X 2 daily and if they had any more energy I'd be in trouble!!

I can also take the 25mg ones without effect...

SM: Kikuyu is a very common grass for dogs to be atopically allergic to. You may find that she has atopic allergies, but she is worst in spring / summer as that is when the pollens are out and she is pushed over her tolerance threshold (i.e.: in the rest of the year she is doing ok coping with what she is exposed to).

How old is your dog? Typically allergies develop to what is in the general environment and that means that symptom pattern develops as they age. If she is young and only just developing her allergies then you may well see a worsening in her symptom pattern as she ages. Typically atopic dogs start seasonally and degenerate to year round symptoms as they age (which I have seen with my one dog who is 6 and am seeing a gradual development of in my other dog who is 4).

If I were you I would talk to my vet about seeing a dermatologist and getting the testing done to see what she is allergic to. There's lots you can do besides drugs, but not if don't know what they are allergic to. Maybe its not even the Kikuyu and you don't have to worry about it! If it is though maybe you could pull and replant in batches and isolate her from what isn't done yet or similar... I have Kikuyu, neither of my guys are allergic... so it really does depend on the dog...

No its definately seasonal. She doesnt itch at all for about 9 to 10 months but as soon as it heats up she starts. Its only under her legs, belly and chest, where she lays on the grass. We have kikuyu here which I cant replace as we live on half an acre and I cant afford to returf the lot.

She is fine today, as she was yesterday but the day before she was quite red with blotches all over her chest and legs. Her hair is almost non existant on her underside now. There is nothing different in the yard now that wasnt there all year.

the fact that its seasonal would suggest its more to do with pollens rather than the actual grass on her skin making her itch. It's similar to humans getting hayfever, except that dogs tend to show the signs through itchy skin rather than sneezing etc. The areas you describe as being affected are very typical of allergies, and its not just because they are the areas in contact with grasses - food allergies cause itching in exactly the same areas.

It is now thought that dogs can absorb some of the pollens through their skin, so regular baths/wipe downs after being outside etc, might help with symptoms.

Royal Canin also has a food out called Skin Support or something, which has been designed for atopic dogs. Not sure how good it is, but its got aloe vera in it, plus lots of essential fatty acids to help with the itching and skin healing. It is also thought that giving fatty acids with antihistamines can improve the effectiveness of the antihistamines. I also find that giving antihistamines with cortisone greatly reduces the amount of cortisone I have to give.