Peeing

PooMother

Hi

I have a 10 week old gsd. Of an evening he is crated and really no issues EXCEPT if I put bedding in his crate for him to sleep on he pees on it, if I dont put anything in with him it stays all nice and dry. To date he has peed on blankets, comfy foam cloth covered bed, alpaca doona specially made, towels etc. I feel bad not giving him bedding to sleep on but am at a loss as to what to try, he even pees on his heshian dog bed that is under our pergola. Any help and advice greatly appreciated. Oh he is toileted beore going to bed and when we get up in the morning

If it's a plastic bottomed crate (i.e. not really cold metal), just leave him with no bedding.

Or you could use newspaper.

A 10 week old bladder is still small, so I'd take him out at least once overnight also.

Pups seem to prefer to wee on things that are absorbent e.g carpet over tiles, grass over concrete etc.

Yes it is a plastic bottomed crate. He only does it if bedding is in there or newspaper if it has no bedding etc he doesnt pee, just sad I cant give him his alpaca doona, maybe when he is older.

If it's a plastic bottomed crate (i.e. not really cold metal), just leave him with no bedding.

Or you could use newspaper.

A 10 week old bladder is still small, so I'd take him out at least once overnight also.

Pups seem to prefer to wee on things that are absorbent e.g carpet over tiles, grass over concrete etc.

HEy Catsmother,

Is he weeing as soon as you put him in the crate?

Or is it in the middle of thenight?

If it is in the middle of the night, set your alarm for every 3 hours and take him out to wee.

That might stop it.

No not as soon as I put him in. Same thing happens if I crate him if I pop out for an hour and there is bedding there he pee's on it, doesnt matter if it day or night or what time. Last pee at night is around midnight cos I dont sleep early and then again at 5am when OH gets up for work. Was thinking maybe he just doesnt like his bedding cos he does it on his heshian frame bed outside during day too, changed the bag twice on that.

HEy Catsmother,

Is he weeing as soon as you put him in the crate?

Or is it in the middle of thenight?

If it is in the middle of the night, set your alarm for every 3 hours and take him out to wee.

That might stop it.

At the breeder was he on concrete all teh time or did he have a concrete area for bed and a grass/dirt area for toileting/playing? Cause sometimes that can make them do that.,

He is fine without anything anyway - maybe give it a couple of weeks and retry the bedding he may just be too young

Ok will check with breeder. Probably right about waiting till he is older. Its not cold so its not like he will freeze. Thaks for your responses everyone

At the breeder was he on concrete all teh time or did he have a concrete area for bed and a grass/dirt area for toileting/playing? Cause sometimes that can make them do that.,

He is fine without anything anyway - maybe give it a couple of weeks and retry the bedding he may just be too young