Unwell Rotties

oonga

My heart absolutely breaks for you, Nekhbet :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think your idea to make a website about Diesel is a good one - even if your and Diesel's experience can educate one person on the horrors that irresponsible breeding can create, then it would make his life have more meaning.

Bloody unfair! :o I'm so frustrated, angry and heartbroken for you :o

Please give Diesel gentle cuddles from all of us over here :laugh:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's very sad news about Diesel. I'm so sorry such a young boy is nearing the end of his time.

My thoughts are with you Nekhbet. I know just how painful it is to have to part with a loved dog. Please keep us up to date with how he is doing.

In 10 days it will be a year since Sophie had to leave. I miss her so much and life is not what it was when I had my happy, laughing girl with me.

Nekhbet sorry to hear that Diesel has deteriorated so much in such a short time span!

You have given him lots of love in the time he was with you!

Hugs to you both!!!!

cavNrott I can't believe its been a year since the lovely laughing Sophie left :D

She is watching over you with a big smile :D

the website is in progress at the moment

http://rememberdiesel.webs.com/

there will be a blog section for people to add their comments and experiences with poor breeding and genetic conditions. I will post the address when its done

He's getting about, whinging a lot through a spends a lot of time licking his legs. He's sore. Norocarp doesnt work, Rimadyl makes him vomit so warmth, supplements and a comfy bed plus a phenergen to help him sleep and settle any histamine swelling he has.

Edited by Nekhbet

That is great Nekhbet... I will register and post a bit about Ollie when I have some more time.

He too comes from a BYB and has had many health issues over the years with allergies and MCT (MCT can be related to allergies, especially skin allergies). We use half doses of Rimadyl for Ollie when needed with maxalon - makes a big difference using the maxalon with the rimadyl and the half dose seems to give him relief. We use polaramine for histamine release (one of the side effects of MCT).

But I agree with the warmth for him - I gave an old single bed electric blanket to a friend who had an older GSD with hip issues and she said it made a huge difference to him.

Thinking of you and the gorgeous Diesel.

the website is in progress at the moment

http://rememberdiesel.webs.com/

there will be a blog section for people to add their comments and experiences with poor breeding and genetic conditions. I will post the address when its done

He's getting about, whinging a lot through a spends a lot of time licking his legs. He's sore. Norocarp doesnt work, Rimadyl makes him vomit so warmth, supplements and a comfy bed plus a phenergen to help him sleep and settle any histamine swelling he has.

The website is a great idea. It's looking good :)

Have you thought about stronger pain meds for Diesel? I found Tramadol was brilliant for Sophie. It kept her pain free and enjoying life. It can cause nausea though so she had Malaxon to cope with the nausea.

I'm not using any medications until he goes and gets his kidneys tested. Yesterday he was peeing like a racehorse multiple times really desperate to go and it stank. I have fingers crossed he doesnt have kidney damage from his previous medications.

cavNrott I'm not sure if they are a good idea anyway. Last time they almost killed him and made him so lethargic he just lay there and wasted away. His left hip is no longer in the socket, it hasnt dropped but it rotates something shocking now, and the bend in the heck is getting bigger. I dont want him to be full of pain killers, use that leg and break it or something terrible ... maybe i'm being a drama queen but I'm in a panic over him lately...

Edited by Nekhbet

You're not being a drama queen. I understand very well you being in a panic. I would be too. There's nothing more heartbreaking than seeing your dog in pain and knowing full well he will not recover from the condition. The thing is, a life with constant, severe pain doesn't offer any quality of life and life is about quality, especially for dogs because, as you know, they live in the moment. They don't have hope that they may feel better tomorrow.

When will he have his kidneys tested?

Sophie wasn't at all lethargic on Tramadol, I guess it affects each dog differently. She also had a full blood test every 3 weeks so we knew how her organs were coping.

I wonder if it's worth speaking with your vet about a Fentanyl patch to reduce or perhaps eliminate the pain.

I have to wait until I'm paid by my new job ... it was meant to be on wednesday BUT looks like next week and I now work in Melbourne so I wont be home sun/mon/tues. Next week I'll get a urine sample done, prob bloods if I can afford them too and see what going on.

• 4 weeks later...

just an update. D is slowing down. He went for a romp in the backyard with Mina on wednesday and then refused to get off the couch for the rest of the evening. EVEN FOR PIZZA!

He is getting thinner, I have him on beautiful cooked and raw food, higher fat but his muscles are starting to waste. He is cuddling up to us more and now wants to be on our laps. Even the muscle on his head are wasting away. His good leg (ironically) is collapsing more and now rotates to a point OH is so upset he cannot bare to watch it ... his 5 min romp left his hock bent and his leg rotating at least 90 degrees outward.

I think D doesnt have long left. My poor poor baby. We went for a walk on the beach and he looks like an oversized puppy again, not a dog of 2 years old. His poor skinny hinds are getting him about for now :love:

my poor baby boy. Why does it have to be sooner then later. Damn you backyard moron for breeding my D. Off for a while now it's getting hard for me to cope, I just cuddle him and cry silently

Sounds like his good leg has overcompensated and taken the weight of the sore leg and now can't anymore :cheer:

So sorry for you all!!! ;) :rofl:

Big hugs to you all, you have given him more time than he would otherwise have had and you have also shown him love and care that he otherwise would not have had. :)

So sorry to hear about your beautiful boy, it is hard enough to lose them after they have had a long life, but so much worse now. Your only consolation is that he has been blessed to have had you looking after and loving him. Damn the mongrel breeders for what they have done.

my heart is aching for you all.. sending many prayers and gentle tummy rubs for diesel.

Have you tired acupuncture for pain relief at aLL? My old girl sophie survived all her life with severe joint problems.. and we managed to keep the heavy duty NSAIDs for emergencies with the judicious use of acupuncture.

blessings to you all

H

yes diesel has been through acupuncture, chiro, massage, supplements, special diets, you name it he got it. I think his body just cannot carry the weight of him any more he's well oversize for a rottweiler and being stick thin and still weight 47kg doesnt help him at all. I'm in werribee at the mo so I will have to wait to pass on the cuddles until tomorrow night :) thank you all I just hate going through this again. First watching Krueger and having him go to sleep in my lap and now Diesel will have to as well. I am truely dreading the day. He's such a trooper though

• 3 months later...

OK now we have to try and make a brace for Diesels hind leg. It is so crooked and the other day he fell down 4 tall tile steps at the back and landed on his side/hip

it's so crooked and he walk around popping all the time ... I was thinking one of those plastic big shoe horns, some lambswool and leather straps ... anyone heard of these made before?