Unwell Rotties

oonga

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RIP Tyson :cheer: Run free, no more pain.

I think this thread is an excellent idea. It was hard to follow progress on the sick ones in the other thread. After reading this thread, it also gives you a reality check, and appreciate your healthy ones. I know my guys just got a big hug.

Thinking of you all, with big hugs :D

Yeah i was thinking the same thing cavNrott :)

OH Well i will have another talk to the vet and see what he recommends...

Good idea BP. I was told head shaking and ear scratching in Sophie's case will be a clear indication that she's suffering head pain. Sophie hasn't done the shake and scratch until this condition arose so if she does it now I know to give her more pain relief.

Since her cancer is a very fast growing aggressive one it will/has probably metastasised already to her head. She doesn't head shake much at all as yet.

If, as Oonga suggests, she has an ear infection you'll smell that very quickly. It's an unmistakeable smell. My guess is it's head pain.

My sincere condolences to you all with your sick Rotties.

Cancer is such an awful thing and it clearly doesn't discriminate.

I too have lost a Rott to Osteosarcoma, and know to well the pain of watching your dog deal with it day to day.

Thinking of you all that are living with this day to day with your dogs and to those that have recently lost your dog / s my sincere condolences on your loss.

RIP.

If, as Oonga suggests, she has an ear infection you'll smell that very quickly. It's an unmistakeable smell. My guess is it's head pain.

yes i told Bluepoppy in msn that she would smell an infection.

but at the same time i think i am a bit in denial and would prefer to think of it as an ear infection rather than pain from the cancer :laugh:

Unfortunately deep down i do think cavNrott is correct and that it is not an ear infection.

Sorry guys,

i know you all need strength right now, but sometimes it is so hard to see you and your dogs go through this.

This is why sometimes i have that whole denial thing happening i think.

Like i said to ZnQ just when i think i have come to terms with it all and accept the situation some of our puppies are in,

something happens to rattle that belief and makes me realise that i have not truly accepted it at all :vomit:

I would totally understand if you all asked me to stay out of this thread because you don't need to put up with my sadness too!!

I do try to be strong for you all, but it is just soo damn hard.

I know that is silly because if it is hard for me then it is unbearable for you all!!

BIG hugs to you all and extra tight ones for you puppies!! :)

It's ok oonga i know that you mean well and you have the best intentions....

It isn't an ear infection and i had a good look in her ears today and it must just either be the pain or that the cancer is getting into her ear canal or her sinus.

I have been thinking lately that she has been going a little deaf as she doesn't really respond anymore and she will sit there and bark for no apparent reason....

Oh well i'm sure that the vet will give her more meds...

I would say within the last 2 weeks...

She will constantly bark for no reason she has never done this before but sometimes i think that she is barking as she doesn't know what is going on around her....

When we tell her to be quiet she keeps going till we look at her and then she seems to stop...

Bluepoppy,

I don't know if hearing impairments would be the same in dogs as in humans?

but i know from my perspective sometimes i can hear noises sounds etc...

I just am unable to identify them.

So for example i may hear the dog next door barking, but to me it will just be noise so i am often asking people around me

"what is that noise" not just in regards to dogs, but that was an example.

It could be a car or train or a party .....

so perhaps Kiesha can hear sounds but not know what they are and that they are not a threat so she just perceives them as a threat?

i remember ages ago i had myself really freaked out cause i kept hearing foreign sounds but for the life of me could not work out what they were??

I was alone. by the time David came home i was a bit stirred up. It was just people next door listening to music :)

Yeah that makes sense i can understand that and sounds like what is going on with her....

One thing that she has constantly done recently is lay right near the front door and she hides in beind the lounge :)

Not sure why but maybe this has something to do with her hearing, I'm pretty sure that is is not any were near as good as it used to be.....

not sure about the spot she is using to hide,

perhaps it is where she feels she can hear best?

also maybe she can feel vibrations best in that spot?

like i need to see people's mouths when they talk, or i will position myself in places where i will hear better,

or i like to be on certain sides so i can hear better.

It could just be something like that?

just guessing here.

The other thing is perhaps scents are stronger from the outside world for her in that place and she is relying on her other senses more if her hearing is not that good anymore?

BP, I am sorry to hear that Keisha appears to be losing her hearing. One of the reasons she is hiding behind the couch could be because the loss of her hearing could be unsettling to her. It seems to be happening quickly. She might need a bit of time to adjust.

Please give her a kiss and a hug from me. We are thinking of you and Keisha.

I sometimes dread coming into this thread as it is a huge reminder that Ash is nearly nine. Yet at the same time I want to know what is happening with our sick kids.

Yeah she keeps sniffing under the front door so i think that she feels content sitting there as she would be able to smell if someone is outside....

Anne how is Sophie today?

Kiesha had a bad night last night and was very restless, I really do think that now is the time to up the pain meds so i will call the vet..

Not sure if i should call him tomorrow or wait till first thing Tue morning...

I could get some now but i'm sure that the emergency hospital will charge me a consult fee and 3x what the drugs are worth and she seems to be happy now that she has had her evening tablet...

Do you think that 3/4's Feldene is still enough or would more not do anything anyway?

Is Sophie still on 3/4's?

RnB Our sincerely condolences on the passing of Tyson.

May both you and he be pain free,

And may you be able to remember the good times without the overwhelming sadness that overcomes you at the moment very soon.

cavNrott and BP this thread is a fantastic idea and don't you dare apologise for fulfilling one of your needs and ensuring that you receive the support that you want, the way you want.

This is your haven use it and gain some relief and lots of support.

cavNrott I hope that Sophie had a good day today.

I would like to thank you very much for the explanation of Sophie's treatment.

Your posts help us to understand.

BP I also hope that your beautiful girl Kiesha had a pain free day and that you are able to ease her annoying ear problem soon.

ZnQ my thoughts are with you and Zed at this extremely difficult time.

I sincerely hope that the end is not as close as you think.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Griff and Sinna yes old age sucks. It robs us of the beautiful dogs that we have grown to love and cherish.

In regards to Baylee the beautiful,

seeing as nothing has been found that is conclusive,

am I wrong to assume that she is infact fine?

Oonga

In relation to Baylee's health, compared to Sophie, Kiesha and Zed, she is doing fine and is in no imminent danger of passing.

She does have a confirmed heart murmur, confirmed thickening of the mitral valve, and a definite narrowing of the aorta.

However, they do not believe that the heart deformities are causing the murmur.

They also believe that the heart troubles will not affect her life span, if we watch her weight and exercise.

I would like to thank everybody for their good thoughts and concern.

CNR do you have and end date for the chemo treatment, is it on a week off a week or 6 weeks of treatment etc. Just wondering? Also when do you go back to the oncologist?
CavNrott, I too would like to know about Sophie's chemo treatment. How long does it go for? Can you please explain the whole treatment. I am sorry if you have already done so, I must have missed it.

Sophie is not actually on chemotherapy treatment. She has one chemo drug amongst the other drugs she's taking. She's on a multi drug therapy called a metronomics therapy that I administer at home. The chemo drug is given to her every 48 hours together with a diuretic drug. If she was on typical chemo she'd have to spend time in the hospital and I've not seen any convincing evidence that chemo works to extend life for long with osteosarcoma. That plus I don't want her to go through the stress of being in hospital after her last stint.

The last day she spent in hospital was on Christmas Eve when she had the gum tumour biopsied and debulked. That day was traumatic for her and me. When I went to collect her she was howling loudly and the nurse said she'd been howling since she came out of the anaesthetic. I've never heard Sophie howl before. She stopped when she came out to me and when we drove into to our driveway she cried, she was so pleased to be home. I've never heard her cry before either.

I won't put her through that again and I'm not one bit happy about the way she was treated at the vets. She was in pain and her severe pain contined for 3 days. I felt the vet could at least have given her decent pain relief. The pain meds I kept at home weren't strong enough for her. Another trip by me to the vet without Sophie soon remedied that situation and we then had adequate pain relief.

The chemo drug she has is to try to slow down the progression of the cancer. She is also on a drug to try to strengthen and build bone in her jaw. She is on a heavy dose of antibiotics and two pain relief drugs. One of them is an opiate and is far more effective than the other one. She has maxalon for nausea and the only time she's vomited was the day I tried her without the maxalon with her breakfast. The chemo drug causes nausea. Vomiting involves a complicated process of cleaning it up because it's cytotoxic due to the chemo drug.

I don't know if the chemo drug will be ongoing. I suspect she will be on it as long as she is alive. Same situation with the one for bone growth and the antibiotics. The pain relief will certainly be ongoing and I have a stronger opiate (in the form of syringes) than the opiate tablets she's having at the moment. That will be my last resort and I'll know then that Sophie's time has come when I need to use one of the syringes. My aim in all of this is to try to slow down the rapid progression of the cancer but mainly to keep Sophie pain free. The slowing down seems to be working because we didn't expect her to still be with us at this stage. Her gum tumour is more painful than her jaw.

I saw the oncologist once a week for the first two weeks. Our next appointment is next Friday so it will be 3 weeks. Her bloods and urine are taken each time we go there and if they look good we can do a 3 weekly visit instead of weekly.

Each time I go, there is either a drug added to the regime or replaced with a different drug. I'm sure they're doing their best with Sophie and I'm grateful they allow me to give her the chemo drug at home. It requires gloves and other precautions to handle it. Picking up poop also needs a double gloved approach and the area has to be treated with bleach.

Sophie sleeps more than she used to but otherwise she is the same happy and playful girl she's always been. She misses her walks but I won't take her outside of my property with so much parvo around. Her immune system would be very weak with the drugs she's on.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it explains to those who wanted to know.

I think it is lovely that Troy has given you all a sub forum to chat about your beloved pooches that are unwell.

I wish you all the best with all the dogs (I have been following Sophies progress)...

My heart goes out to all of you with ill dogs - I do know how you feel. Ollie and I have been battling Mast Cell cancer grade two, multiple tumours and no clear margins on excision... It is systemic as it is in his lymph system. Two long years it has been and they said he would only be here for twelve to eighteen months... We used both conventional medicine (excision and chemo) and holistic medicine in the form of supplements, diet changes and chinese herbs... He is still here and continues to fight his disease and amaze the vets - even the oncologist was surprised he was still here at Christmas time.

If anyone would like to know more or would like to chat about their dogs and conditions or just to ask about Ollies treatments, in case you think you can get some ideas for your own babies, please feel free to PM me anytime.

Wishing you all the best

Jodie and Ollie dog

Yeah she keeps sniffing under the front door so i think that she feels content sitting there as she would be able to smell if someone is outside....

Anne how is Sophie today?

Kiesha had a bad night last night and was very restless, I really do think that now is the time to up the pain meds so i will call the vet..

Not sure if i should call him tomorrow or wait till first thing Tue morning...

I could get some now but i'm sure that the emergency hospital will charge me a consult fee and 3x what the drugs are worth and she seems to be happy now that she has had her evening tablet...

Do you think that 3/4's Feldene is still enough or would more not do anything anyway?

Is Sophie still on 3/4's?

Yes it sounds like it's time for stronger meds for Kiesha. Sophie still has the 3/4 Feldene tablet in the morning but she also has 100mg of Tramadol at night. I find the Tramadol to be a much stronger pain reliever than Feldene. It's a different class of drug, it's an opiate.

You're right about the emergency vet charging astonomical fees. They probably wouldn't give you strong pain relief without seeing Kiesha. I'd call the vet tomorrow I think.

About Kiesha hiding behind the couch. Dogs hide when they're in pain. They don't want to appear vulnerable because in the wild vulnerability puts them in danger of attack. Though our dogs have evolved a whole lot from Wolves they still have this inbuilt self protection trait. Cats do it too.

I doubt it has to do with hearing loss. Dana is hard of hearing and she doesn't hide. To her if she can't hear it then it's not happening. She is very intuitive and is the only other dog here who's aware of Sophie's illness. She was inspecting Sophie's mouth but doesn't do it anymore.

Sophie had a quiet day. Today was the chemo drug day and it knocks her around a bit I think. Apart from that she's ok.

efs

Edited by cavNrott