2008 Brags Thread

ness

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FP, don't have a temper tanty, it's too hot to trial dogs yet. :D

Not for twilight trials :) I'm told that NSW is back trialling by twilight and SA is as well, seem us Vics are the slack ones :rock:

Edited to add: Be assured that I am always very careful with hot days and trialling, especially given my dog is black. Its not something I take lightly :rock:

Edited by feralpup

FP, don't have a temper tanty, it's too hot to trial dogs yet. :D

Not for twilight trials :) I'm told that NSW is back trialling by twilight and SA is as well, seem us Vics are the slack ones :rock:

And SA seem to have the correct definition of a twilight trial not beginning til 8pm.

Victoria's idea of a twilight trial starting at 5pm in February - with daylight saving, 5pm can be not too far off the hottest part of the day. Plus a 2 hour drive for me to get there .........

So I am having even more tanties than you FP, as I won't be trialling again until March - and scratching then if it's too hot.

Sorry to hijack thread ness - I'm just jealous that I don't have anything to brag about !

Interesting the definition of twilight seems to vary - Obedience think starting at 6pm is a good idea (but are known to delay if its to hot at the start), next weekend the agility trial starts at 7pm and like I said last weekends was 8pm.

Edited by ness

Interesting the definition of twilight seems to vary - Obedience think starting at 6pm is a good idea (but are known to delay if its to hot at the start), next weekend the agility trial starts at 7pm and like I said last weekends was 8pm.

Also over here some have been known to put in the schedule that if temperature is considered too hot then start will be delayed an hour. This happened for the New Years Eve trial when it was a 40 + day. I know that when I was at a trial once and they decided to postpone the start due to it still being too hot there were no complaints.

So as to keep this on topic - small brag, Jazz got Baby of Breed the other night. The only baby there mind you! lol. The real brag though is that she actually gaited properly on lead, as opposed to attempting to do kangaroo impersonations as she did last time. Only this time she forgot how to stand :) So my next aim is to get standing AND moving right on the same day!

FP, don't have a temper tanty, it's too hot to trial dogs yet. :)

Not for twilight trials :) I'm told that NSW is back trialling by twilight and SA is as well, seem us Vics are the slack ones :rofl:

And SA seem to have the correct definition of a twilight trial not beginning til 8pm.

Victoria's idea of a twilight trial starting at 5pm in February - with daylight saving, 5pm can be not too far off the hottest part of the day. Plus a 2 hour drive for me to get there .........

So I am having even more tanties than you FP, as I won't be trialling again until March - and scratching then if it's too hot.

Sorry to hijack thread ness - I'm just jealous that I don't have anything to brag about !

:laugh: I think I'm still too new to it all and the addiction has bitten hard.... never been to KCC park, it takes me 2.5 hours to get to the city so I'm presuming KCC will be close to 3 to 3.5 hours by the time I find the place for k9 on the 16th. Other than that I'd have to wait til Warrnambool on the long weekend and thats just too long to wait :rofl::)

Well I may get motivated and come and cheer you on FP - but without dogs.

After all, someone has to get some brags and give ness a run for her money :)

My baby (20 months) did his first 600 jump chute and first full height A Frame today - does that count????

:) I think I'm still too new to it all and the addiction has bitten hard.... never been to KCC park, it takes me 2.5 hours to get to the city so I'm presuming KCC will be close to 3 to 3.5 hours by the time I find the place for k9 on the 16th. Other than that I'd have to wait til Warrnambool on the long weekend and thats just too long to wait :):)

Hi FP i'm competeing on the 16th to, although not my first time competeing at KCC park it is my first agility trial so should be interesting. Are there any other DOLers out there who will be there?

I had agility training today and Toby had problems on the weave poles which kind of shocked me since he's normally really good on the weavers, and the instructer told me he's abit unfit and I had to work on his endurance so I don't think you could count these as brags :laugh: but we still had fun.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have a brag

Sorry to go OT too but I'm with you Kelpiechick - I always thought twlight was when the sun was going down and the light was fadeing, not when sun's still out on full force :laugh: I've entered the Feb trial but may have to beg for a handler for Kiz - the dog's actually going good but my ankle has not got the "almost trial season memo" and is swollen like a balloon - bloody uselss ligaments :)

I'm like LP, did some conformation shows with the Aussie's in the "off season" from Oct-Jan so that gave me a little doggy hit!

Congratulations Ness on the fantastic start to your trialling year - what a way to start :)

:laugh: I think I'm still too new to it all and the addiction has bitten hard.... never been to KCC park, it takes me 2.5 hours to get to the city so I'm presuming KCC will be close to 3 to 3.5 hours by the time I find the place for k9 on the 16th. Other than that I'd have to wait til Warrnambool on the long weekend and thats just too long to wait :laugh::angel:

Hi FP i'm competeing on the 16th to, although not my first time competeing at KCC park it is my first agility trial so should be interesting. Are there any other DOLers out there who will be there?

I had agility training today and Toby had problems on the weave poles which kind of shocked me since he's normally really good on the weavers, and the instructer told me he's abit unfit and I had to work on his endurance so I don't think you could count these as brags :D but we still had fun.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have a brag

I've entered the 16th trial but I'll wait and see what the temperature is like on the day before I decide to run or not. :laugh:

sorry OT, no brags from me.

My boy went up a class in obedience today :o

He went up to class 3, which he was in at our old club, but it's still exciting as I've been dying to get back to where we were. He also happened to have a very good day with other dogs, part of the test was to go free and be social and he passed it beautifully, despite having a couple of big dogs only a metre or 2 away :o

I had entered last night's trial but Kiss came into season late so we missed out........the joys of intact females. I was so looking forward to it as we only need one more pass in both agility and jumping for a title. Problem is with me, I can't help thinking "only one more pass" and it makes me nervous, so I muck up something or other. Anyone want to trial my dog? Poor thing needs a better handler.

Noels.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't let this thread die!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

My mindless brag so far isn't that exciting, but I think worth saying anyway :rofl:

Went to agility last night - first time since the Christmas break. Took the Midget with me (aka Kinta).... I was so proud of her. Aside from doing some 2x2 weaving and I think 2 sessions of agility training over the 2 months break (and the expo demos!) she hasn't touched agility equipment since the end of Nov.

She was a little star - we did all our contacts regardless of whether 'mum' was running with her or not, behind or infront of her, or out wide or close.... sometimes her rear slips off to the side, but I was thrilled with it on the whole. She is getting some nice speed too. Now all we need to do is teach her that working in front of her handler and away from her handler is a *good* thing!

I was so proud of her - I think she's a natural at agility.... even our instructor said 'wow you must have trained a lot over the summer' :rofl:

our instructor said 'wow you must have trained a lot over the summer' :rofl:

Love it when they say this - I usually look baffled for a bit and then it dawns - oh yeah, we did HEAPS of work (NOT!!)

I reckon my dogs read training books secretly over summer - they always come back to training knowing things I swear I never taught them :rofl:

Case in point (and the whole reason for this post): Cash had his first go working ducks on the weekend. I have always been nervous about putting him on them as he is a bird catcher at home and thought we might end up with more than ruffled feathers.

Well: proved me wrong didn't he? He worked like a superstar - he was relaxed and serious and thinking about what he was doing. Got to balance and held it (something he rarely does on sheep), adjusted himself as necessary with no help from me, backed off when he needed to but was happy to come in close too. He just seemed to find the exact amount of pressure required to get those little quckers moving without panicking them. And when he needed to cover he took the pressure right off, all on his own.

And no duck munching :rofl:

He also had a go on cattle and had a ball (although having 30 head of not very small beasts heading your way is a bit nerve wracking :rofl: )

So we may have a chance to trial on ducks this year. I was really impressed.

If only he worked like that on the sheepies!

Brag over, hopefully more to come though :rofl:

Edited by superminty

:mad:banghead::whip: After a VERY trying 2 or 3 months at flyball training with Xena where she has been attacked twice, had a head on collision and been attacked again we had our second to last session before the Canberra comp last night..........You would not believe it was the same team we started with 3 months ago.

At her lowest point Xena spent 20 minutes cowering behind the agility equipment in the corner of the field refusing to come out or chase a tennis ball. Then we spend another 20 minutes running her up and down the hurdles with me in between the other dogs and her - the only way she would work - good thing I'm reasonably fit! :mad

After a LOT of hard work from us and patience from our team mates Xena is back to 100% and passing perfectly with all but the dog she collided with (dogs that attacked her are not playing any more). Last night she even passed ON the first hurdle (oops) with one of the crazy dogs she's been a bit tentative with. Now all we have to do is get through Saturday's agility trial w/o an injury and it's off to the show!!!! Looking forward to seeing all the great dogs I've heard about from down south.

CK is also going really well. He's entered in the beginners class and seems to have come good just in time. Last night he did 4 or 5 full runs with very minimal errors so should be a starter on Friday as well.

As a side note the whole Xena thing has been a really interesting study in dog psychology. She went from being top dog at home to WAY bottom of the pack (even below our most timid cat) to being back at no 3 (Me, OH, 1 & 2) and challenging for no 2 now that she is 'back'. I would never have thought it could do that much damage to a dog's pack status.

Oh that's an *awesome* story Redii! Making a comeback after being attacked would have been a real challenge, I'm really impressed you persevered, I'm sure lots of people would give up. :D

My dog reactive, king of the border collie stare doggo, Scrimp, had beautiful focus and attention last night at training. It's only a beginners class, and we're rehashing stuff he well and truly knows, but that's kind of the point- he's supposed to be learning to watch and focus and behave while other dogs are in close proximity to him. There's other reactive dogs in the class, and also a big puppy that he'd had a fixation on previously (trainer says it's a size/age thing) but last night he successfully ignored all of that and watched and focused really well!

Small steps, but a far cry from the lunging, whining and barking that I've had to deal with previously. :)