2008 Brags Thread

ness

Oh that's an *awesome* story Redii! Making a comeback after being attacked would have been a real challenge, I'm really impressed you persevered, I'm sure lots of people would give up. :)

My dog reactive, king of the border collie stare doggo, Scrimp, had beautiful focus and attention last night at training. It's only a beginners class, and we're rehashing stuff he well and truly knows, but that's kind of the point- he's supposed to be learning to watch and focus and behave while other dogs are in close proximity to him. There's other reactive dogs in the class, and also a big puppy that he'd had a fixation on previously (trainer says it's a size/age thing) but last night he successfully ignored all of that and watched and focused really well!

Small steps, but a far cry from the lunging, whining and barking that I've had to deal with previously. :)

Xena was a pretty quick come back - very lucky I have to say. She's so focussed and loves to work so much that she was back to work pretty quickly, and some helpful passing exercises from DOLers has got her back to where she needs to be. One of the guys in the club deserves a medal. His miniature poodle suffered a similar problem, but took 18 months to get back!!!!

:) At Scrimp. My boy CK must be the prince. As he gets more and more confident he's getting better, but his biggest problem now is that he wants to say hello to every bloody dog that comes onto the training field. It's sooooooo funny to watch him at flyball. One minute he'll be clowning around looking at one of his girl friends, then you'll call him to attention and he's all battle stations, the minute I say enough on the tug toy he's back to being an idiot!! He's going to be brilliant when he grows up but until then :D :)

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 months! That's dedication! How often does that sort of thing happen? I'd always assumed that the dogs that did agility and flyball didn't attack other dogs...? Sounds naive, but I'd never let a dog offlead near dogs I didn't know if I thought mine was going to attack them. I suppose these things can be hard to predict...but still...wow.

:rofl: @ your CK clowning around and looking at his girlfriends!

Edited by kateykateykatey

18 months! That's dedication! How often does that sort of thing happen? I'd always assumed that the dogs that did agility and flyball didn't attack other dogs...? Sounds naive, but I'd never let a dog offlead near dogs I didn't know if I thought mine was going to attack them. I suppose these things can be hard to predict...but still...wow.

:rofl: @ your CK clowning around and looking at his girlfriends!

Flyball and agility are two VERY different things. It should never happen and if it happens at a comp then the dog is banned, full stop. The problem is that flyball does hype the dogs up amazingly - HEAPS more than agility and when they are in close proximity.......some dogs just aren't suited to it IMO. The other thing is that in agility you have a measure of control over your dog along the whole course - directing them. In flyball it's rev them up as much as you can, let them go and trust the training has been effective.

When my girl was attacked badly (to her, no blood, but did really scare her, just lucky we stopped it before it got real) it wasn't by a flyball dog, it was by a dog owned by one of the flyballers that one of the kids accidently let out of it's enclosure. Second time that night another dog took offence to her staring (fear, not eyeballing) at him while he was going nuts at other dogs running and he lunged at her while on lead and gave her a good nip on the rump and another hell of a scare. That was when she retreated to the 'safety' of the agility equipment.

The other time was by a dog that decided to chase her across the lane and give her a nip. This happens a bit, especially with greener dogs that aren't as focussed as some. I've trained at two clubs and there are dogs with 'issues' with other dogs at both, it's just a matter of how it is managed.

The dog that got at the poodle does not play flyball with our club any more.

Rather than post in 2 different threads - Leo and I had our first agility trial of the year at K9. We came away with our final pass for our NA title!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Leo ran great for me in all of his runs but clipped one bar in EX Jumping and OJ was a joke - but not because of the dog, but due to late calls and handler getting confused :rofl:. I taped the runs, but I must say - watching my handling :rofl: - i'm terrible!!!!!

:rofl::laugh: Congratulations Leopuppy. I'm so cranky I missed it. Ah well I'll now just have to watch him in Excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV5I64OMmT8

here ya go SW - just don't laugh at the handler :cry: Ness is already grilling me!!! :rofl:

It wasn't that bad! He looked really good in the agility :laugh:

At least you didn't do an "Oh s#*t" as your dog was heading for the wrong jump but not actually verbalise that so as they didn't take the wrong jump :rofl: Or cheer that your dog has cleared the last jump in Open Jumpers just as it's about to take off therefore making them look at you unlike some idiot I know :D

LP vid is great! He is doing so well, and Kinta was great at the pet expo demo too!

My brag for the year so far is that after over 2 years of learning and trying and being confused I've gotten Ed's confidence up to a level where he will play with a toy in class!!!! I am thrilled. He loves balls and has real drive but its been so surpressed and I've finally gotten him to a stage where he will use it. We still have a way to go but I am very pleased with his progress

My Molly brag is that she has started competing flyball, and though we have our ups and downs I am very proud, and she is doing really well!

LP vid is great! He is doing so well, and Kinta was great at the pet expo demo too!

My brag for the year so far is that after over 2 years of learning and trying and being confused I've gotten Ed's confidence up to a level where he will play with a toy in class!!!! I am thrilled. He loves balls and has real drive but its been so surpressed and I've finally gotten him to a stage where he will use it. We still have a way to go but I am very pleased with his progress

My Molly brag is that she has started competing flyball, and though we have our ups and downs I am very proud, and she is doing really well!

That's great news SM! I have often struggled with this myself (with Leo) - who is crazy about his toys but not always in a class situation!!! Glad to hear that Ed is putting his drive to good use now - I always feel so happy when Leo goes nuts for his toys in 'public' (ie: last night... but this morning he was only 50/50 playing with me :D )....

Your guys are doing awesome also!

Thanks LP :p

I've learnt also if I'm going to be in a fairly new situation not to go for the toy with him, as when I am unsure of what I'm doing he wants nothing to do with it. so Í guess I've learnt how to use toys with him and most importantly when to use them

So a brag for myself :D i've learnt alot in the last few months! Thanks to a few people, Erny being one right up the top of the list!

Edited by shoemonster

I better add to this thread too - I put it in the trial page but hey!

Kizza got her GD title at the K9 agility trial on Saturday night! Was very happy.

It was a funny run, we got our points as planned and then asked the judge if my buzzer had gone to do the closing bit, she said no so we just poked about for another 10 seconds. Next time I'll have a back up in case we still have time left!

My young Aussie Denny made his debut and with only one fault in Novice Jumpers I was happy with his run. Narmi also had her second ever run and she only had two faults in the same class so they were both good babies - they did very well because when they finally had their runs it was well past their dinner and bed times!

Congrats Silvawillow! I'm losing track on what dogs that you have!! :confused:

Thanks DD. Now the mission is to get 2 more Open obedience passes this year!

Yeah my doggy situation is confusing.

Living at mine are and I own:

Kizza (Kira, Kiz) mad black dog

Narmi - yellow dog

Denny - Aussie

Living at my sister's (only 5 min away - but I still drive, I'm bad)

Blush (I own) - Aussie

Twister - Aussie (she & breeder own)

Hope that clears it up at bit!

Congrats to all for doing so well this year already. I do read this thread often, but only seem to post when it's my own brag, sorry :D

Anyway, I was so proud of my little 10 month GSP boy :D He had his first CCD trial at the Canberra Royal today which had more distractions than you can imagine as were on the main arena. He worked beautifully to win the ring with 97/100. In the run off for Winner of Winners he was pipped by only one point by a very experienced, and lovely working Goldie.

Leopuppy, love the clips of Leo in agility, he looks to be working very nicely for you ;)

Congrats to all for doing so well this year already. I do read this thread often, but only seem to post when it's my own brag, sorry :D

Anyway, I was so proud of my little 10 month GSP boy ;) He had his first CCD trial at the Canberra Royal today which had more distractions than you can imagine as were on the main arena. He worked beautifully to win the ring with 97/100. In the run off for Winner of Winners he was pipped by only one point by a very experienced, and lovely working Goldie.

Leopuppy, love the clips of Leo in agility, he looks to be working very nicely for you :eek:

That's fantastic FHRP!!! WTG!!! I hope we can also get those nice scores when Miss K hits the scene!!!

Thanks for the compliments about Leo's clips too... I'm embarassed by them - I think my handling is terrible :D.... obedience is more my thin methinks!

That's fantastic FHRP!!! WTG!!! I hope we can also get those nice scores when Miss K hits the scene!!!

Thanks for the compliments about Leo's clips too... I'm embarassed by them - I think my handling is terrible :D .... obedience is more my thin methinks!

Thanks leopuppy, from the clip I've seen of Kinta, I bet she will get just as nice scores!

I have seen (and done ;) ) far worse handling in agility! We can all improve :D

Edited by FHRP