Ripped Nail, Shock

Our ten year old greyhound has semi ripped out a nail while we were out today. It's bleeding quite a bit, but she is very distressed and shaking.

I've rung the emergency vet and there's a minimum 2 hour wait until she is seen.

Does anyone have any ideas how to calm her and minimise her pain?

Give her some Rescue Remedy or a shot of Brandy, keep her warm & stop the bleeding (Styptic pen at the chemist). Just pull the nail off & put some Betadine on it, she will likely limp for a few days, just bath it & keep it clean & disinfected, the nail will just grown back in time. Some people like to cover the hole with "liquid bandaids" but I think you wouldnt want to trap infection in there.

My girl did this not that long ago, blood everywhere :) nail completely gone, but I actually had to cut it today, so it didnt take too long to grow back & is normal (some grow back thinner, smaller, shorter than they once were for some reason)

:) Two hour wait.

My father stood on my pug boys foot a few years back and ripped one of his nails. Blood everywhere, I was not home so so of course my parents were paniking thinking they had broken their daughters dogs foot. Rushed him off to emergency vet. The vet ended up ripping the nail out as it was hanging by a thread, bathed the foot in antaseptic solution, bandaged it and charged $150. The nail grew back.

Maybe the fact it is a two hour wait will save you some money.

My advice compress the nail area to stop the bleeding if possible. If the bleeding has eased enough take a look at the nail. If it's hanging by a thread take some tweezers and rip it out. This will pobably ease the pain for the dog after the nail has gone. Bath the foot in salty water and squirt something like a betadine solution or other antaseptic solution onto the aread and bandage. Leave bandage on for the next few days or if you like bath it in the salty water and rebandage for the next few days.

Our ten year old greyhound has semi ripped out a nail while we were out today. It's bleeding quite a bit, but she is very distressed and shaking.

I've rung the emergency vet and there's a minimum 2 hour wait until she is seen.

Does anyone have any ideas how to calm her and minimise her pain?

G-F you should have rung me :)

Thanks puggy_puggy and Cavandra, had to hit two chemists before I got the rescue remedy, but we've bathed, betadined and sprayed in her mouth with the remedy. She seems to be quite comfortable now.

Good to read. Is there is any pieces? May need to trim. Otherwise if bleeding stops, you will be amazed how quick the dogs recover.

I've has this happen a number of times, because they bleed like mad they really look worse than they are, once the nail falls off they heal up pretty quickly. It's certainly not a case for an emergency vet who will probably charge you at least $250.00 just to rip the nail off.

I usually dip the paw into an antiseptic solution a couple of times a day, I've never had one get infected and you'll find that she'll forget all about it in a few days.

I dont really think it matters what sort of flour but it will stop bleeding, we had a mare who cut open her shoulder so filled it up with flour to stop the bleeding until we could gat a vet, he said it was a smart thing to do. (old bush remedy)

I think over 3 years and two greys, we have lost around 5 toenails from 'zoomies'. All have healed fine. The first time was pulled right out at the quick so we went to the vet and got antibiotics etc. since then we have just bathed regularly and applied antiseptic and kept a close eye on them, and watched for infection smells. All have been fine. They do bleed a lot tho dont they. One time, i didnt even know my boy had done it, no yelp or anything, just pools of blood on the kitchen floor when he was waiting for anything i could spare from preparing dinner.... obviously dinner was late that day, and Jefferson was pee'd off as he didnt get any titbits, rather he had to stand with one foot in a bowl of salted water for 5 mins... and he is a boy who HATES getting his feet wet.

I'm glad your girl is ok, it is more stressfull for us i think than them sometimes.