Worn & Raw Pads

J...

I've just noticed Darcy's worn off the tops of her front paw pads (the ones above her dew claws) after a few sessions of ball retreiving - she tends to play hard. They are pretty raw (left pink marks on the floor mat) but not bleeding freely.

I've given them a good clean up with warm salt water - is there anything else I need to do for them? Other than give up retreiving games for a while? :)

Edited by feralpup

My girl has very sensitive feet and seems to burn hers down quite easily so I'm constantly trying something. We did try two brands of boots but both rubbed her in just a few minutes moving around the shop. So now they get salt and water and then a spray with the spray on bandage you can buy from the chemist. That helps a bit, but I found that getting a band aid and some extra elastoplast tape over the pads when we go out for walks works best. It's fiddly to put on though and needs to be redone every day.

Boots are easiest no doubt and personally that's what I'd prefer but I can't find anything that doesn't rub and get caught up in the feathering on her legs.

Thanks Natsu, but I'm really after some immediate care tips. :angel: Unfortunately boots aren't an option, no way will they stay on my dogs feet at the speed and effort she puts into retreiving, well not unless I tape them on! :D

Sorry feralpup I must admit when I read it back I missed your question. Sorry I was tired. :( Salt and water does, perhaps a bit of purple spray on them. If she's sliding on them it might be worth taping them over once they've dried out to protect them from more friction anyway as it's a vicious cycle. Once they damage them you have to give them a chance to heal or just keep getting to the point of almost healed and then they do it again.

hi

i've used Paw wax protector made by 8in1 excel, and have found it very good, i have huskys and they wear their pads down a lot.

i would also look at asking the vet about a zinc supliment, i know for huskys it helps their paws, but then again huskys are known to have zinc dephisancy.

hop this helps.

i would ask at your local pet supply shop, ask if they can get it in for you. also ask natropaths they may be able to do up one.

i unfortunatly gained mine through PP as they where no longer stocking it and basikly gave it to me.

Try massaging some PawPaw ointment into the pads - it is in a red tube/tub from the chemist. This worked for our GSD when he was paw sore after starting security work. I would lay him on his back and massage the ointment into his feet each morning and night.