Mast Cell Cancer

Staffyluv

Thanks, he has one but chooses to lay in front of the air con or on the tiles in the dining room of bathroom these days...

He is still very slow but still wanting to go for a small walk in the mornings. Only about 10 minutes into the walk he is panting (only lightly) but I will get him checked out and let everyone know what the vet says...

I have everything crossed for the little lad - he is still off the meals but is happy to be hand fed small morsels throughout the day (me thinks he had me well trained)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He just had bbq chicken for dinner and ate all of it except the real white meat which is sitting next to his bowl on the floor - I will pick it up and put it back in the bowl to see if he eats it later.

Thanks again for being a great sounding board everyone

• 3 weeks later...

We just went for Ollie's checkup and he got :) all round...

The only things that were not the same as last year are:

A few more small MCTs

His hearing is going and his night vision would not be as good - this is the reason he wants the light on out the back before he goes out of a night time

His teeth need a bit of attention because he can't have raw meat - he gets no bones to chew on and they have a bit of plaque on them. The vet suggested a childs soft toothbrush with some childrens toothpaste (a tiny bit) and a once a week tooth brushing session - to easy...

The MCTs are many now - to many to bother counting or testing.

We are still amazed that this boy is still here but very, very thankful that he chooses to stay ;)

good to get a positive update about my favourite bully. way to go dear ollie dog. you just poweron for a greally great Christmas.. don't forget that the coolest spots in the house and yard are reserved for you and so are delishous treats

tummy tickles

from your queensland fan club

H

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the Christmas wishes everyone - we had a lovely time and I think he gets more spoilt as the years go on...

He got heaps of toys, most of them squeak so that is an added bonus (not)...

We ordered a Turkduken (chicken inside a duck, inside a turkey) this year as a change and he loved it... he had a few slices with some baked veg and gravy... He has had this for dinner for the last few nights and I think he will be disappointed now that it has finished and he is back to the usual old stuff.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and we wish everyone a happy and healthy 2010

Jodie and Ollie dog

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update - I went looking for Jesterbelle's thread on Vada and could not find it, so wanted to let everyone know that I got a message to say that Vada is still doing well... Just had to share - it warms my heart to hear when they do well and are enjoying life... Missy (9yo stafford) had a grade 2 tumour removed but is doing OK now on the anti cancer diet...

Just wanted to share the good news.

As for the old man, well he is great. Still cruises the local park every morning like he owns it and is enjoying retirement on the lounge in my office... His hearing is really not so good anymore and he does not hear anyone coming or going and he seems to have lost a lot of his night vision but is OK if I leave the outside light on of a night time (or maybe the big bad stafford is afraid of the dark :D ) His daytime vision seems fine though and he thinks he can see things all the way across the park (even when they are not there :( )...

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A belated thanks Helen - he had a great time with the boys around so much over easter this year.

He is doing well - actually the same, no really big change in him. The vet thought he had lost some weight and the scales said about a kilo but that is OK because it brings him to the weight the vet would prefer to see him at, instead of his chubby self...

I think the weight loss is due to the cancer because his diet has not changed and he eats about the same as I have always given him. Probably not a good sign but he has kicked this MCT for nearly 5 years now and he has been nothing short of an absolute trooper when it comes down to it...

We are on the move to Lismore on the far north coast NSW on the 21st of May and it will just be him and I - not sure how that will go with him as he loves the whole family, even though I am the one who spends most of the time with him...

• 1 month later...

We have been here in Lismore for a couple of weeks now and he is settling in really well. He had a little holiday with my mum in Ballina for a couple of days last week (I had to go away for work) and loved her big backyard and the fact that she pinned the door so he could come and go whenever he wanted.

Health wise he is doing well, no real issues to speak of. He still has MCT but it appears as though the remission is STILL holding and I am so very thankful for that... His cruciate ligaments are doing well, he gets a bit sore if he runs around like a loon or jumps when he plays with the kids too much but mostly he is just fine...

Will get some pics of him when I get a weekend spare to take him to the beach - I can't wait to see his reaction to the waves and the sand (he has never seen waves before but used to have a sandpit to dig in when he was a little lad)...

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog