• 3 months later...
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jodie,

As I read what has been going on in your life I too am lost for words. I feel for you and your boys so much. My only advice is just to do as you have always done...take each day as it comes and just enjoy your boy. Life holds no certainties so just make the most of whatever time is left be it long or short. I last spoke to you in June last year about my Sally who had mast cell cancer. You were so helpful and supportive and the advice you gave was invaluable and I will always be grateful. Unfortunately Sally became very ill not long after we spoke and we made the heartbreaking decision to let her go. She was only ever sick literally 4 days of her life and that was at the end so we have a lot to be thankful for. She passed away peacefully on July 5th with me holding her and whispering "Sweet dreams pet girl" in her ear as she went. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do so I know the pain you are feeling now. I just hope Ollie has lots of good days left for you all to enjoy. It's never over til it's over. Thinking of you all and sending lots of love,

Sue :kissbetter:

Hi Jodie,

As I read what has been going on in your life I too am lost for words. I feel for you and your boys so much. My only advice is just to do as you have always done...take each day as it comes and just enjoy your boy. Life holds no certainties so just make the most of whatever time is left be it long or short. I last spoke to you in June last year about my Sally who had mast cell cancer. You were so helpful and supportive and the advice you gave was invaluable and I will always be grateful. Unfortunately Sally became very ill not long after we spoke and we made the heartbreaking decision to let her go. She was only ever sick literally 4 days of her life and that was at the end so we have a lot to be thankful for. She passed away peacefully on July 5th with me holding her and whispering "Sweet dreams pet girl" in her ear as she went. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do so I know the pain you are feeling now. I just hope Ollie has lots of good days left for you all to enjoy. It's never over til it's over. Thinking of you all and sending lots of love,

Sue :kissbetter:

I am sorry to hear of your loss, it is so very hard to say goodbye...

Ollie dog passed away in my arms on October 25th, 2011... Just 23 days after my husband passed away..

There are good days and there are not so good days... But there is never a day or an hour that I don't think of them and miss them...

I know time will make it easier

• 2 months later...

Oh dear Jodie, I am so sorry to learn of Ollie dog's passing. I don't come onto DOL very often any more but Ollie's thread was always my first port of call because it was always so uplifting to see he was still with you and making you smile. This time I am so saddened to hear he had finally gone, but I guess for a forteen year old boy who shouldn't have lived half as long, I shouldn't be so sad. You did a great job in keeping him well for so long, against the odds.

I hope you and your boys are OK - the house must have seemed very empty for a long while after he left.

Thanks again for keeping the thread going so long with such a marvellous wealth of tips and information on Mast Cell Cancer.

Take care.

Hi pampa..

Yes it was horrible to say goodbye but we were so very lucky to have him with us for as long as we did...

The house was way to quiet so we took ourselves to the local pound and adopted an adorable staffy cross that we called Ziggy...

Ziggy has been great medicine for us and he just had his first birthday, so is growing up fast... We picked Ziggy up a week after Ollie passed away... It really was the best decision for us.

We Re fostering pups now to, so that keeps us busy and our minds off the sadness that was almost to much to handle, losing Dan and Ollie within 3 weeks of each other...

I hope all is well with you

• 8 months later...

Hi Jodie,

For some reason today I was searching for something online and this forum popped up in the results. I thought of you and Ollie and wondered how you were going. For some reason I never received notification of your reply and so did not know about Ollie's passing....for that I apologise. I can only relate to some of what you must be going through but your resilience never ceases to amaze me. I hope you and your family have been able to find some peace as time has gone on and I hope that Ziggy has been able to help mend your hearts a little. I think bringing Ziggy into your lives was such a wonderful idea....I have friends whose son was killed in a train accident a couple of years ago and for their first Christmas without him (he was 21) their other son gave them a puppy. At first they were reluctant to get attached yet as time went on, like all puppies do, she wiggled her way into their hearts and lives. Now she provides them so much joy and is a welcome distraction form all the sadness that was overshadowing their lives. They say pets are a great therapy and I fully believe their dog has been instrumental in their coming to terms with what happened and being able to live a little. While I doubt they will ever "get over" what happened to their son, they are much much better at dealing with it. Time is a great healer but having a new baby to love I think is better.

Congratulations on your new baby and may this be the start of bright, happy new beginnings for all of you!

Love from Sue :D

Thanks Sue,

Zig has been the best medicine for us.

We lost my husband on 2nd October 2011 and then Ollie dog 3 weeks late on the 25th October 2011..

We got Zig on the 1st November 2011 - he was there and needed us as much as we needed him.

He is turning out to be a really wonderful dog. He has been a bit of a challenge to train sometimes but he was 6 months old and had no training at all when we got him from the pound. He has come such a long way and is very much the light of my life at the moment.

We are looking forward to a great year this year.

Cheers

Jodie