Staffyluv

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the good wishes.

The old man is really limping this morning (it is the other one, so that is both back legs now) but it is also only a partial again and our wonderful vet said after the good job of getting the original cruciate ligament tear, back to as well as can be expected, that he is going to give me 6 weeks and see how it is then. He thinks Ollie will make a recovery like last time - I hope and pray he is right.

Even though he is 11 and sore, he still won't sit still so we have had to have someone sitting with him to keep him still. Lucky it is school holidays and the youngest is at home because Ollie is more than happy to sit in amongst him and all his friends in the lounge room when they are here.

I haven't caught up on Ollie's news in ages -- and this wasn't what I wanted to see :thumbsup: The lovely old fella just loves poeple so much, he can't sit still! Good luck keeping him quiet over the next six weeks.

It's almost exactly a year since Jack's MCT surgery ... still no new lumps or bumps that we can find. He's a happy, healthy and pretty silly fella :p

Hi guys,

Thanks for the well wishes. Glad to hear that Jack has no signs of MCT Moops.

Helen how is your crew and the lively Lucinda?

The boy is doing remarkably well. He is weight bearing already but still limping. He is getting higher doses of Ester C along with fish oil and chondritan to help repair the damage. The vet is happy to give me some time to try and heal him this way because his other knee came back so well (I am so glad that I did not do the surgery last time, when the other vet up there was so pushy about it).

It is wait and see, if he needs the op he will get it but if I can keep him relaxed (ever seen a relaxed staffy???) and quiet until he heals a bit, I think he will be fine.

Phew! I do worry about that boy so i am delighted that all is heading in the right direction.

Lucinda is doing well for an elderly lady LOL... was most put out the other day when the people collecting the sofa failed to be suitably terrified of her attempts to rush at them, with fangs bared.. it was a bit of a zig zag with bare gums... but the intent was there.

the rest are fine.. poor Lucky had his first vet visit in years as he was on the receiving end of some transferred agression.. he managed very well with my bro Steve keeping him calm.. it is amazing how Steve has such a calming effect on them all.. I guess they sense that he is different or something

hugs to both you and sweet Ollie Dog

HG

Good luck to all the tough puppies out there, very inspirational. Just thought I'd share an alternate view of therapy - never know it could be worth a try. A friend of mine just took her dog for a "crystal healing" therapy session, not everyone cup of tea but might help some as an additional therapy to the vet treatments/meds. My friends dog started having fits - the therapist (who does chiropractic work and accupuncture etc as well) had her dog lying on the table, put crystals all around and also at different spots on top of her dog then using a pendulum held it over her dogs body. The pendulum swung in circles as the therapist moved it over his body from head to tail and then down the legs. It stopped swinging over her dogs heart and feet - therapist said his heart was going to shut down and stoping over his feet meant he wasnt grounded.....after doing some alternate type things and running the pendulum back over her dogs body it swung in circles all over. Really eye opening and her dog is all the better for it, he was really weak before that and couldnt walk without his front feet curling over.

Good luck again, kisses x

DBS, that old lady of yours is such a character - give her a big kiss for me.

Anne, you are never far from my thoughts either. I hope you are doing well.

Rottifan, Ollie is predominently holistically treated these days but still requires conventional medicine for an inactive thyroid and stomach ulcer both a result of the chemo he had to treat his cancer. But thanks for the info, it never hurts to put your experience out there, it may well help someone.

The lad is limping a bit worse today but that is because he is a staffy and refuses point blank to sit still (silly old bugger does not realise it is for his own benefit). It is a slow process but we will get there - I am confident of that.

Hi Jodie

I haven't been in for a very, very long time but I'm delighted to see that our Olliedog is still doing well.

I often think of the 3+ year war you have been fighting and I hope this battle is just as assailable as the others.

Thoughts are still with you...

Pampa

Edited by pampa

Phew! I do worry about that boy so i am delighted that all is heading in the right direction.

Lucinda is doing well for an elderly lady LOL... was most put out the other day when the people collecting the sofa failed to be suitably terrified of her attempts to rush at them, with fangs bared.. it was a bit of a zig zag with bare gums... but the intent was there.

the rest are fine.. poor Lucky had his first vet visit in years as he was on the receiving end of some transferred agression.. he managed very well with my bro Steve keeping him calm.. it is amazing how Steve has such a calming effect on them all.. I guess they sense that he is different or something

hugs to both you and sweet Ollie Dog

HG

Sorry Jodie for the hijack... I haven't been here for so long I don't even know where lucinda's thread went... I don't even know where to find PM's ???

Dogsbesotted, I'm amazed princess Lucinda is still her regal self after all this time... I am so happy she too is well and still protecting her throne.

I'm delighted she is still with us and fighting fit.

I miss your updates.

Pampa

Hi pampa and thanks for the well wishes - yes we are still fighting on. The cancer is still in remission (our vet says it is the longest remission he has ever heard of :thumbsup: ) and we are very thankful for that.

Hijack away, I love to catch up on what Lucinda is doing as well - she is such a character and still feisty at her age.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it is 3 years since he was diagnosed with MCT and we were told 12 to 18 months if we were lucky. The will of the dog and his owner (not wanting to lose him) is still very strong :rofl:

Just a quick update on his legs - well both cruciates appear to be healing. I have been letting him go for small walks of a morning and we upped the ester C to 8mg per day. He is still weak in the back legs as he does not attempt to jump on the lounge and even getting on his bed seems to be an effort and that is only about 20cm off the ground (although this could be a bit of a novelty about being picked up a lot - no mean feat the fat boy is back up to 24kg again).

We pick him up to put him in the car and get him out, on the lounge, on our bed, on his bed etc - he even stands there waiting to be picked up or put down now (mmm the more I think about it, I think it might just be the novelty of it all).

He is happy and would love a game of tug but the legs don't let him win, so he won't play - just stands there and waves the toy around in front of you.

As far as we can tell he is still in remission as there were no active mast cells in his last blood tests. I know he still as it because he still has MCTs that we can see and have had aspirated but it all seems to have just stopped for now - thankfully. I hope it stays this way for a long time (he will be 12 next year).

Cheers

Three years! :cool:

:):o:)

Go, Ollie dog :rofl:

Not jumping up is a good thing, provided you're not all getting a sore back from lifting him everywhere. I bet Ollie thinks he's the king of the castle with all these human slaves :laugh:

Give the ol' fella a cuddle from me :love:

Ollie -- you trouper three years!!!!!! sure puts some perspective on the " one day at a time " delighted delighted/

hugs to the dear lad/

Hi Pampas.....glad to see tjat you are still around.

Lucinda actually managed to terrify someone this week... he leaped the fence-- Lucinda looked quite stunned then turned and shashayed back under the house with all the grace of " humpf I still have IT after all these years"!!!!

cheers

Helen

Thanks Moops, hugs given (he never knocks those back) and he smells good and is all shiny because he had a shower for the halloween party on Friday night.

DBS, I had a giggle at the Miss being scary. Ollie would not hear them coming - most of the time he does not even hear a knock on the door these days. He is not a guard dog in any way, he is a lover not a fighter and he is so grey now there is not much scary about him anymore.

Give Lucinda a big hug and I am so glad to hear that she is still able to send them jumping fences :)

• 3 weeks later...

We have been keeping an eye on a lipoma that has been growing inside his rear left leg between that and his penis and it was measured a month ago at 7cm, it was 10cm this morning at his checkup and the vet wants to remove it.

He has convinced me that Ollie is definitely well enough to undergo surgery for this and he has no issue with putting him under. His heart and major organ function are all fine and the MCT is STILL in remission. He even said this morning that based on all evidence to the contrary when Ollie was first diagnosed, he expects him to live a full life :shrug:

So he goes in on December 3 to have it removed.

Wish us luck, I am sure he will be fine. I really don't think our vet would suggest it if he did not think it would all be OK.

Cheers

Jodie