8mth Puppy Losing Spots Of Hair

chloebear

I have had my pound puppy for 4mths now, breed not really known guess ridgexbull X ???? I have noticed that she is starting to get bald spots for want of a better term. First one started on her ear and several on her legs. She looks in good health plus she gets intercept monthly plus treated for advantix. We live out of town, fully fenced yard not in contact with other dogs. Any idea's of what is happening? She gets feed dry food (same one since I have had her), bones plus table scrapes, sardines.

I have had my pound puppy for 4mths now, breed not really known guess ridgexbull X ???? I have noticed that she is starting to get bald spots for want of a better term. First one started on her ear and several on her legs. She looks in good health plus she gets intercept monthly plus treated for advantix. We live out of town, fully fenced yard not in contact with other dogs. Any idea's of what is happening? She gets feed dry food (same one since I have had her), bones plus table scrapes, sardines.

Is she desexed? sounds to me like she may have demodex, take her to the vet to get a skin scrape for confirmation.

HERE is a link.

Could be a Fungi issue, humidity of late isn't great for some dogs.

Could be mites, however from where you said the patches are doesn't sound that consistent with mites?

Also, even though you're giving flea treatment, have a look over your dog for fleas, some areas are having really bad problems with fleas and are havng to fea treat ther dogs every 2 weeks.

Have a really good look over your dog and see if you can find anything else lurking under the skin :wave:

Best to head to your Vet after you've checked over your dog for anything else you can find.

Edited by sas

Is she desexed? sounds to me like she may have demodex, take her to the vet to get a skin scrape for confirmation.

HERE is a link.

She was desexed when she was 6 months old. Thanks for the link

Could be a Fungi issue, humidity of late isn't great for some dogs.

Could be mites, however from where you said the patches are doesn't sound that consistent with mites?

Also, even though you're giving flea treatment, have a look over your dog for fleas, some areas are having really bad problems with fleas and are havng to fea treat ther dogs every 2 weeks.

Have a really good look over your dog and see if you can find anything else lurking under the skin :thumbsup:

Best to head to your Vet after you've checked over your dog for anything else you can find.

I treated her with advantix about week ago, I can't find anything on her. I am in Queensland where we have had lots of rain so far this year. Can dogs get rain scald like horses? The spots that are bald don't look irratated etc, just look like skin which doesn't have hair on it. She sleeps on a doggie bed, hashen bag style.

Sounds like demodex mite - if you do a search you'll find lots of threads in this forum about it with a lot of helpful and useful info on dealing with it :thumbsup:

Demodex mites usually show their signs/spots around the face, chest and front legs - you can go to the vet and get a scraping to make sure - they will do a scraping, put the scraped skin on a slide and look at it under a microscope - be warned the mites are ugly lil suckers to look at! :thumbsup:

If it's localised Demodex (most common) the spots will look ugly but will shortly grow back and not be an issue except perhaps under times of great stress for the dog. If its generalised Demodex the spots will spread to cover most if not all of the body and take a lot of effort and hard work to sort out again.

This afternoon one of our neighbours called in with their two dogs, I noticed that their GSD has hair missing along it back side etc and looked very matted and dull :thumbsup:

Hollies coat looks good, except for the spot of hair missing on her ear, that has gotten larger this week started the size of a pea and now about 5 cent piece. The other sections that she is missing hair is on her legs like a scratch pattern but no redness at all. I am taking her to the vet this week to find out what is going on.

Do these mites affect kids - my son loves to play in the dog kennel and he has small bites and red patches on him as does my daughter but not as many.

Demodex mites wouldn't or shouldn't effect kids that way...we do however carry Demodex mites naturally in our system - they occasionally eat on our eyebrows...lol.

Basically locaised demodex is caused by a bump in the immuse system the bodies natural defences weaken and the mites go nuts eating and breeding - thus the spots are noticible as they eat the entire hair or at least most of it...lol.

Demodex mites wouldn't or shouldn't effect kids that way...we do however carry Demodex mites naturally in our system - they occasionally eat on our eyebrows...lol.

Basically locaised demodex is caused by a bump in the immuse system the bodies natural defences weaken and the mites go nuts eating and breeding - thus the spots are noticible as they eat the entire hair or at least most of it...lol.

Thanks for your help :cheer:

Do you have foxes around?? They can pick up Sarcoptic mange from where the foxes have been. Seeing your out of town it may be the culprit. Two of my mums Griffons got this just from being where they had been on her property. Once again its detected by skin scaping. Try changing your line on treatment to Revolution it treats mange as well as fleas ear mites and heartworm. It wouldnt hurt to get a scraping done though

I only have the one dog, Holly who is in good health other than this bald spots developing in her coat, started on her ear size of pea now about 5 cent piece. I have never had this kind of problem before so to be honest I don't really know what I have done to cause this. I do give her apple cider vinegar, could that cause hair to fall out? She doesn't appear to be itchy. But rest assured so is going to the vet this week.

Apple cider vinegar does not cause hair to fall out.

I agree with those here that says that it sounds like dermodex mange. However, without seeing pictures or being able to do a scraping, I can't be sure.

Please make an appointment at your vet's as soon as possible. It is not normal for a healthy dog to start losing hair and it is best to get on top of these things early before they develop into a more serious problem.

I only have the one dog, Holly who is in good health other than this bald spots developing in her coat, started on her ear size of pea now about 5 cent piece. I have never had this kind of problem before so to be honest I don't really know what I have done to cause this. I do give her apple cider vinegar, could that cause hair to fall out? She doesn't appear to be itchy. But rest assured so is going to the vet this week.

I am sure you have done nothing wrong at all. Please don't be to hard on yourself.

Take her to your vet and have some skin scrapings done and take it from there.