Anal Glands

Asalei

Sorry, I just meant problems in general with her glands. She's not lifting her tail and just seems to be in discomfort around that area. She keeps licking her bits too.

I'm ringing the vet when they open to see when I can get her in. She doesn't seem as restless as she was last night.

Any news?

Sounds like they might have become infected from the expressing last time.

You can sometimes smell infected & impacted anal glands on the breath of a dog, not because they have licked it but because it somehow is transfered through the body.

She might need a course of antibiotics.

We've got an appointment at 4:40pm this afternoon. We tried last night to express them ourselves, but we sucked at it and Sally wasn't liking the undignified playing around of her bum.

I hope my OH finishes work intime... I'm not liking the idea of taking 3 dogs to the vet alone.

Never had to do it, (and don't want to!!), but here is a site that might help. If you click on the dog, it shows where they are, and you can scroll down to do a virtual demonstration thingy. :)

Don't know if you want to read something called "The Anal Sacs Page" :cool:

Good luck!

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

eta, oops, just realised that you will be at the vet by now. Hope it went well, and you don't have to do it yourself.

Edited by monsterpup

The vet didn't seem to think it was her anal glands, he expressed them and said they looked fine.

It was interesting that he didn't use gloves and lube. Just gloves and some paper towel. The other vet that has expressed the glands actually puts his fingers in and uses lube. Anyway.

He seems to think she may have been bitten by something? But we aren't so sure, last time she was bitten by an ant, she went nuts for hours and I had to put ice on her foot to at least calm her down. Doesn't explain the tail being down.

He gave her an anti-inflamitry and to keep an eye on her for 48 hours and go back on Friday if she's still a bit funny and they will investigate further.

We had our puppies anal glands expressed yesterday for the first time. She is 3.5 months old.

The vet advised me that it's not diet related, some breeds are just prone to having anal glands filling up faster than others and that we can do the expressing ourselves but we'd have to do it right to ensure that we don't cause her an infection.

My puppy is a chocolate labrador. Apparently Labs can have this problem regularly, comes with the breed. I didn't even know anal glads existed until we got our lab.

Well our poor boy is a mess, he's at the vet's as we speak, one anal gland was all pasty which is the stage before infection but the other gland was very infected and filled with blood and pus. And I had no idea, the glands didn't look swollen or infected from the outside and the vet himself when he first looked at him said the glands looked normal and he felt the discharge that I was concerned about was just normal expressing. It wasn't until he was under the anasthetic (he was also castrated today) that he expressed and flushed the sacs and realised how bad they were. I would never have known by Pchelka's behaviour as he seemed completely fine - was eating fine, stools normal, has been walking fine, didn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, hasn't been scooting at all. At the vet's he was bouncing around the yard, wanting to go for a walk. We were lucky they didn't rupture!

So I will speak to the vet shortly when I go to collect him and ask if we need to be expressing the glands ourselves from now on. Argh!

The things I've learnt from this website is amazing!!!! I can't thank you all enough.

On the weekend I was laying outside on a towel with my dogs at my feet. When I got up I noticed a small stain on the towel. I thought it was me and checked myself :)

I think I know now what it was!!!!!

[i thought I'd posted, but it seemed to disappear (or it might've been me)

The things I've learnt on this website - THANKYOU

On the weekend I was laying ona towel outside with my 2 JRT's at my feet and when I stood up, there was small brown stain on the towel. I thought it was me so I checked myself.....:):) :rolleyes: (It wasn't)

I'm pretty sure I know what it was now (or should I say WHO it was?)

We had our puppies anal glands expressed yesterday for the first time. She is 3.5 months old.

The vet advised me that it's not diet related, some breeds are just prone to having anal glands filling up faster than others and that we can do the expressing ourselves but we'd have to do it right to ensure that we don't cause her an infection.

My puppy is a chocolate labrador. Apparently Labs can have this problem regularly, comes with the breed. I didn't even know anal glads existed until we got our lab.

Ill stick my neck out and say I dont agree with your vet - and - think about it - how can one vet tell a dog owner to feed metamucil

to solve the problem and another if its not diet related?

The best way for a dog to have nice healthy clean anal glands which dont need humans to clean them is to be fed a diet which makes them strain a bit when they go to the toot. In my opinion metamucil will make it worse not better and if two days a week you feed nothing else but raw chicken wings you will find there is no problem.

The best way for a dog to have nice healthy clean anal glands which dont need humans to clean them is to be fed a diet which makes them strain a bit when they go to the toot

:)

Hmm..think I've found my new sig!!! Thanks, Steve :D

Edited by persephone