Washing Line Worries...

Sticks1977

I had a Dobe that used to do this. My father ended up building various fences in the backyard to block him off from the clothes line & other areas. When I moved out of home & bought him to Sydney, he did it occasionally. Then I moved house with my brother & my Dobe took a liking to his work shirts. After destroying a few & costing me money to replace them, next time he did it, I picked it up of the ground (he was actually lying on it) & whacked him around the head with the shirt whilst chastising him. He never did it again after that. I think the long sleeves etc flailing around him must have scared him as it wouldn't have hurt him.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be erecting a proper fence - chainwire or weldmesh panels complete with gate so you can get in and out easily. Its a pain the proverbial when they do that - our Amstaffs are all line pullers but ONE will pull the clothes off THEN proceed to POO on them! So needless to say things were rearranged here very quickly! And the Pooer is 4 years old, so dont think they will grow out of it !!!! Sorry!

my friend used wasabi to stop her staffy pup from chewing on the table. It didn't work. Silly dog even eats the chilli's straight off the bush. maybe dog/cat repellant spray. Or maybe the dog fly repellant. My dogs hate the smell of it

:laugh: Buy a dryer! Most things are fine in a dryer and the items you don't want in there can hang on the clothes rack. No more problems. And you don't have to worry about it raining while your out. :laugh: Edited by badboyz

It would have been more effective to build a properly dog proof barrier in the first place. Now the dog has the idea of destroying barriers.

yes exactly. Go and buy proper dog fence or farmlite and also gate your washing area. A flimsy fence would never stop him, it is a game and a very rewarding one, he is having such a lot of fun with the challenges. Personally I would make a decent barrier and also not leave pegged washing when I leave the house.

Nothing can beat a permanent dog run/enclosure. As per shelbyville's post, my labs are in their runs when I am not at home, they are safe and cannot destroy anything. When I am home, they have the run of the place but are supervised so any mischief in the making is nipped in the bud!

• 2 months later...

I thought I would share this with some of you as I am sure a few of you have had problems with doggies pulling clothes off the clothes line as I have had for the past 6 months!!! I even stopped putting stuff on the line or when I did I had to crate him for that time while the stuff dried (lucky he loves his crate)

My husband took him to dog school last weekend and there was a lady there that was talking to him about the dog. She asked whether we had problems with him taking washing off the line and he said YES!!!

Anyway she said get two saucepans and hit them together every time he goes for the washing. I thought yeah right, as though that will stop him, i have tried everything else... :D :happydance::happydance::happydance: WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A 11 MONTH LABRADOR HERE!!!

Anyway, it looks like it is working, its got to the stage where i don't even have to make the big noise, he sees me with the saucepan and knows.... its probably just going to take a bit of time, but I think its going to be definitely worth it...

:rofl::rofl::mad ;)

Don't mean to be facetious but I would have thought after owning a lab for 8 months you would realise that water in any form is a treat rather than a deterrent ;) .

I have had the good fortune for my lab never to discover this trick but I've read of people hanging tea towels doused in nasty tasting stuff on the line during the day. Personally I think the dog is probably smart enough to see through this trick but worth a try? Another trick that I was told about at obedience school but again have not tried myself is that if you find a piece of clothing pulled off the washing line (or a chewed plant or a hole dug) get a stick and proceed to beat the stuffing out of the offending item (not the dog) and abuse it and carry on like an idiot. The theory is that the dog will think that the thing it has attacked is bad (hence the reason it is being beaten) and probably not to be interfered with in future. The more passionate you are in your abuse of the subject the better it will work on the dog and the crazier your nieghbours will think you are.

im trying to save my plants, not kill them :rofl:

and as for chewing, a mate said that tehir partens lab would eat everything, including light fixtures, so tehy would spread vaselene on everything. got him out of cewing right away, however, i dont have that option, as it would destroy the finishes on my furniture. if you can try it, then give it a go, if chewing is the prob.

LOL I have to laugh at the light fittings... My lab chewed up 24 solar lights, now they are all gone he has started on the sprinkler system...He has heaps of toys & 2 other dogs to play with.....I have just accepted it but I am not replacing any solar lights

LOL I have to laugh at the light fittings... My lab chewed up 24 solar lights, now they are all gone he has started on the sprinkler system...He has heaps of toys & 2 other dogs to play with.....I have just accepted it but I am not replacing any solar lights

Haha yeah Archie has nearly done in the sprinkler system, but not the hoses, the actual controls!! So we fenced it off!

LOuie could never reach the line.

BBUt in my obedience class there are some labs who do. The instructor suggested filling the clothes with balloons. at way when he jumps up and they pop he will get a fright. I don't know if it works but it sounds good in principle

i'd be worrying if i wasnt there that the dog would choke on the broken balloon rubber

Get an old towel, soak it in tabasco and water, hang it on the line. IMHO, one mouthful of tabasco and water impregnated towels will probably stop this behaviur for ever. Only have ONE towel on the line, and let him get it. Tabasco is quite hot, so don't make the solution too strong. Other option, if you have chillies growing is to soak the towel in chilli water.

they rub their little mouths with their paws, and go :"aw, aw, aw" but they leave the washing alone. that's how I stopped these dear little things eating ALL the back door.

the boxer galoot does it too, but I find her so entertaining, I let her do it for the laughs, and he always brings me the washing!!

Tilba will be 6 mths old on Saturday. My 22 y/o son has had 2 pairs of old jeans on the clothes line for 3 days & no amount of me telling him to get them off has got him to bring them in. Anyway, this morning I went outside & both pairs of jeans were on the ground & very muddy. Looks like Tilba has found a new way of entertaining herself. I've been reading this thread to get some ideas. Luckily I live next door to my mum, so when I rewashed the jeans I was able to hang them in there.

As to the Tabasco, many years ago when April was a pup, we had that black plastic garden mesh around the side of the house to prevent her from going under the house. I had read about using Tabasco to stop dogs from chewing things. For weeks I would paint the Tabasco onto the mesh & every day she would still chew it. Eventually oh put up some metal mesh, the type used in screen doors. That did the trick.

Also, when April was a pup, she would only pull her bedding off the line. She only did this a few times. She never touched anything else, I can't remember what I did as she also stopped taking her bedding. Maybe it was because I made sure to fully wind the line up, something I can't do now because of the age of my line, it seized up about 5-6 yrs ago. Sooty, my son's dog, never ever tried to take washing off the line.

Edited by luvsdogs