How Can I Teach My Dog To Jump Into My Arms?

laffi

I am going to try the pillow method on my dogs as well, tried a method with Moses where I was just sitting on a chair and he wasn't really comfortable, will also try with Tia, but not Josh he weighs 34kg, and I have seen the agility clip with the flatcoat retriever doing it. It is also hard if you have always taught your dogs not to jump up. I met a lady with a border collie and she said she used to just sit on the ground and teach pups to jump on her shoulders facing them. How long did it take people using the pillow method to teach their dogs?

Could those succesful people post some pictures or videos of their dogs doing it and any pit falls that happened etc.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

Yep.... be careful what you wish for..lol. I taught my young Kelpie to jump into my arms, and it HAS seemed to encourage his trying to jump up, also it seems like he thinks that in my arms is where he should be, so will often try and launch himself into my lap when I am sitting outside in a chair... lol.

I taught him by kneeling on one knee, with my other knee in front for a "step". With a naturally bouncy, jumpy, young Kelpie, he got the idea almost immediently. I then just stood up higher and higher.. but I found it always important to "brace" myself with one foot infront, and one behind. I used the cue of tapping my chest. He's not that hard to catch being so "bouncy", but I cant hold him there for long lol. Its a fun trick tho.

I am in the middle of uploading videos of Misty and Electra jumping into my arms, I will post when they are ready :thumbsup: it took about 4 10 minute sessions of the pillow training before they were jumping into my arms. I havent progressed Happy and Rusty yet, my arms can only handle so much poundage hurtling through the air at once lol

I have no pitfalls with Misty, she was really easy and thinks its the greatest thing ever lol. Electra the pitfalls are that she still belives she is jumping into my lap, so she jumps from head on..as far as my thighs and I pretty much gotta catch her from there, hopefully she will learm better form with time lol

Thanx for that, have started teaching two of my dogs. They are both happy jumping into my lap whilst I sit on the chair, just have to start adding the pillows. I loved watching you interacting with your dogs. You are so happy. I am up to 3 pillows.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

I've been trying for a little bit - but my guys think that they are only allowed to put their front paws in my lap!!! I haven't been able to get them to jump into my (sitting) lap yet!!

Yep, same problem here :laugh:

I will have a video up of Happy soon, she was far and away the easiest....I just made her watch Misty do it 3 times then I asked Happy to do it and she did lol, well the first try she didnt make it, but she clearly understood what she was trying to do, the second time she did it easy lol. Rusty I am having issues with though, he gets frusterated and stops trying..or as one trainer at a weight pull demo put it "he changes the subject" lol, he will just decide the its too high and wont even try(if he tried he would not have an issue, he's a JRT mix, he has bloody springs in his legs!) he will just start barking and offerning any behviour exept jumping. I am suprised, I thought Rusty would be the easiest, but he is now the only one NOT jumping into my arms yet. the thing is that I KNOW he can do it, because he has done it many times before...not on purpose mind you, but its hardly a challenge for him lol.

ok here is Happy

please exuse her clicking feet, she has rediculously flat feet, it doesnt atter how short her nails are they ALWAYS sound like that..that also part of the reason I trying jumping directly to the jumping tinto my arms after having her wathc Misty, the little bit of chair training I did with her was really painful because of those claws lol, my poor legs were all scratched up and bruised horrably.

My bully x ACD does it. I just do a kissy sound and open my arms and she boings up! Tbh I wouldn't want to do it was a larger dog for fear of injuring myself or the dog as it is tricky enough with Angel!

He is going sideways to get his treat. LOL:) I love it when he learns a new trick, I thought I would have to give up on it. Tia is still work in progress. Moses is such a foodie. I put comments under the two youtube clips thanking them for putting instructions up and enclosed the video response.

Edited by whatevah