Crying Puppy

bomberdon

Hi all,

I need some help with a crying puppy. It's been sometime since we had a pup - our staffy passed away after 13 years and we've just got ourselves a new staffy pup (8 wks old).

Can someone offer advice/help top overcome a crying pup?

Cleo stays in the laundry of the house, and is waking up every 2 hours at night, crying.

When we arrive to comfort her, she plays for a while, then goes back to sleep, but only in our presence. If we leave, she yelps.

Should we just let her yelp until she gives in?

I'm not getting a lot of sleep!!

thanks

Don.

post-22630-1202217381_thumb.jpg

A very beautifull staffy ;)

You're absolutely correct about ignore her crying but life will be easier if you bring her closer to where you are. Most people start their pups in a crate in their rooms for about a week until the worst of the crying is over. The crate prevents toilet accidents in your room. If you don't have a crate, then how about a box/puppy pen or something to stop her wandering around and peeing on your floor. :)

Staffy's like to be with people so you will have to give up a bit of sleep for a while.

Have fun

BP

We have just bought our little girl home. Day one was pretty bad for night waking. However we have her crated in our room and when she cries I take her outside for a toilet break then back in the crate. Last night was her second night with just one waking for the toilet break. I also crate her in the loungeroom when I can't be 100% watching her. The first day was a lot of crying in the crate. But when she was settled we would treat her. Now she is great (today is day 3). We pop her in with something to chew on and she is all set!

When I first got Pepper, the first night was great, as she was scared and tired from the long trip home from the breeder. However, the subsequent nights were sleepless! She cried and whinged quite loudly the whole night. We were quite strong though and didn't check on her at all from the time we put her in the laundry until morning. This went on for two nights, but from the fourth night with us, she eventually got the message and slept through the whole night!

I think it just takes patience and some sleepless nights on your behalf. You could tell her to "quiet" once in a while through the door, but I would say generally ignore her. She'll eventually get the message. Just remember to not go into the laundry when she's still whining, otherwise she will think that her whining will get her the attention she seeks. Tell her to be quiet and when she is quiet for at least three seconds, you can then go in and praise her/give her attention.

The other thing I found really helpful was a soft toy or blanket and/or ticking clock to imitate litter mates. I got a SnugglePuppie that had a heatpad and ticking heart inside it, which sort of helped. This gives the pup something to snuggle up against as helps the pup not feel so lonely because it doesn't have it's litter mates anymore.

Good luck!

Guest doggydo

What I done with Holly when i got her is put her in a laundry, had a jumper I was wearing so she felt I was there by my smells on it. I refused to keep getting up to her cause her breeder said they will win everytime you come in. Just let her cry and she will give up. Mine did.

Luckily I never had this problem with Fonzy.

I did with another pup, Bindi however. Personally I think the more they are comforted as in going to her and playing, the more they will rely on that happening. Tough love would be my suggestion. Make sure she is toileted and has water and then once those things have been addressed, leave her.

Edited to add.. maybe a soft toy for company might help her as well.

Edited by krankypuss

• 2 weeks later...