Recall Doesn't Work In Off Leash Park

nan

When we walk my dog (Miniature Schnauzer, 1 year age boy) in a off leash park, he likes to play himself sometimes. He is so curious about everything, even it is the park we go everyday. :)

When we try to call him back with "Come", it does not work well. he still keep doing his play. If there are other dogs, it becomes harder sometimes. ;)

If the case is at our backyard, he comes back very fast, except he is playing tricks with us. :o

Anyone has good idea, how i can recall him back when i need it.

It is dangours especailly he run to the parking area.

Thank You!

The park is a different territory to him, full of different scents and probably a much larger area to explore, and if there are other dogs, lots of other playmates (!), so of course he's going to be excited! I would not let him run around leash free until the recall is 100%. Use a long leash or rope (about 5-10m) to let him go, but reel him in if he doesn't respond to your call. Reward crazily if he responds. Try to do this when there are no distractions around, then you can try with other dogs/people in the park.

When you say he plays tricks on you in the backyard, this suggests to me that his recall is not 100% in the backyard either. Do you give him treats or praise when he comes to you?

There are lots of resources on the internet about training a good recall, do a search.

Good luck!

I second the long line :thumbsup: You've shown a reliable recall in a low distraction environment, you need to adopt the same principles in a high distraction one & have the reward of coming to you be greater than whatever it is he's interested in (other dogs, smells etc).

I agree with the long line, best training aid, plus take lots of treats with you (his favourites) and dont just call him when it is time to go home. Call him a couple of times during his play, best when he is not as distracted. Sometimes it also helps to get down on his level, kind of changes things and they get curious and come running. Im sure if you try this it will work very well. Also at home (or anywhere) no matter what he may have done, do NOT call him and discipline him ie, if you come home and found he dug a hole or ate something he shouldnt, do not call him and get mad at him. Always have praise for him when he comes to you, as a human it is a hard thing for us to do this sometimes, especially if they have got out of the yard or eaten our favourite thing. :thumbsup: Good luck !

JUst another train of thought...one of my dogs would not come when he was busy playing/ chasing the chooks and it was pointed out to me that I was ending his fun if he came, so he chose to ignore me as in his mind if he came it was all over red rover

...I used the long line and let him have fun with it on, called him, rewarded him for coming, but IMMEDIATLY let him go back to sniffing around etc.

I progressed to off the long line to a big empty paddock with lots of bunny smells etc, but no dogs and every time he was about 50 meters away, I recalled, rewarded and sent off again, all through the walk.

I never just called and took him away from his fun iykwim.

Good luck!

As others have mentioned, if he is food motivated, split his meals in tiny bits and reward for good recalls. Many times per day. Poor habits are hard to break. That being said, if you think of the number of times he has ignored you, double the times.........and that is as long normally, it takes to change behaviour, except using high end aversion methods.

in the offlead park.. when you call him back.. is it to take him home?

If this is the case, I can see why he may not want to come back..

I would try what the others have done too..

I would also take some nice tasty treats to the park with you... while you are at the park. call him back.. give him some tasty treats and then let him go.. So he learns that "come" in the OLA is not just to go home.