Barking, Barking, Barking!

IncrediJack

Just when I get one problem sorted, another one arises! Lately my now 18-week golden has been nuisance barking. It's gotten really bad the past few days. It's worse during breakfast and dinner. Barks whenever I'm in the kitchen. I put him outside, because 1) he's barking 2) we're about to eat 3) hectic times, after meals, getting the kids ready for school/bed-- I'm very distracted and can't leave the kids/dog alone unsupervised. I feed him after we eat (not until he settles down, but I can't keep ignoring him--someone is going to council on me!). He continues to bark (to be let back in??--). There are bones and kongs and heaps of things for him outside. Help!!

(And thanks to all who have offered their advice in the past. This forum is a godsend!)

Who wants a kong when the best fun is inside! Do you feed him dry food? If so, try putting it in an empty bottled water container with holes cut into it so he has to push it around to get his food out. This way he is occupied for some time with his meal.

I kept my older boy inside as a puppy (same reason - the barking) but barricaded him in the dining/laundry area with a puppy fence/gates. He could see me through the gates but I could move around. He would get sick of barking after a while and push his food bottle around while I got ready. Could you barricade him in one room while you get ready and just leave something across the doorway? Alternatively, tether him somewhere inside. Dont risk the barking.

BTW - would really recommend gates - I still use it for both mine, even though the boy is older now. When I want peace I barricade them in the back of the house -they can play in the dining room and still see me. They could jump it but they dont. Ans as my girl is going thru puppy adolescence at the moment there are many occasions I peace!

An oldie but a goodie is to buy a squirt bottle, and fill it with a solution of diluted vinegar / or citronella oil. Squirt him when he barks, with a sharp "no Barking" or whatever your command is to be quiet. Keep to exactly the same command every time, so he knows what you mean. Dogs don't like the smell of vinegar, or citronella, so will associate it with barking, therefore thinking that barking is bad and I should really stop this.

Never, ever, make the solution too strong, or use anything caustic. Some people say put chilli in it, or bleach, but that is cruel and can never be condoned.

Citronella bark collars work on exactly the same principal as the vinegar solution.

And don't overlook the benefits it brings you as the "shooter". Your aim will get very good very quickly, and next time you go to paintball, you'll ace everyone! :)

Guest doggydo

Ive always been a believer the dogs should be fed before yourself. And I think the dog needs a little more attention, maybe take him for longer walks, play ball, something for wear him out. They need to use up alot of energy so if its hard while having kids, you are going to have to find some way to relieve his bordom. I was thinking on the lines of bark collars also, other than that I not sure how to help.

Jack,when this dog first started barking what was your response or response from other Family members?

I take it from your post that when he is outside,he can see you in the Kitchen through a Window?

I am not sure from your post,but did you mean he starts barking whilst he is in the House and then you put him outside?

Is there other behaviour associated with the barking? Tony

Jack,when this dog first started barking what was your response or response from other Family members?

I take it from your post that when he is outside,he can see you in the Kitchen through a Window?

I am not sure from your post,but did you mean he starts barking whilst he is in the House and then you put him outside?

Is there other behaviour associated with the barking? Tony

Thanks everyone for your advice. Tonymc, He starts barking in the house, so I put him out. He can see us. There's a big sliding glass door there, so he can still see in. When he barks, we tell him, "Enough! Quiet!" and when he continues, I put him out (which I'd be doing anyway, but if he was quiet, he'd buy himself an extra twenty minutes or so in the house).

No other behaviour associated with the barking that I can tell.

Ive always been a believer the dogs should be fed before yourself. And I think the dog needs a little more attention, maybe take him for longer walks, play ball, something for wear him out. They need to use up alot of energy so if its hard while having kids, you are going to have to find some way to relieve his bordom. I was thinking on the lines of bark collars also, other than that I not sure how to help.

Boredom might be an issue. He's just been desexed, so I have been trying to keep him somewhat quiet. At Puppy School, they told us to feed them last, so I have been trying that. Last night, it was pouring, though, so I let him in and fed him first (as we were going to be eating very late). No barking. He got what he wanted, I guess.

Who wants a kong when the best fun is inside! Do you feed him dry food? If so, try putting it in an empty bottled water container with holes cut into it so he has to push it around to get his food out. This way he is occupied for some time with his meal.

I kept my older boy inside as a puppy (same reason - the barking) but barricaded him in the dining/laundry area with a puppy fence/gates. He could see me through the gates but I could move around. He would get sick of barking after a while and push his food bottle around while I got ready. Could you barricade him in one room while you get ready and just leave something across the doorway? Alternatively, tether him somewhere inside. Dont risk the barking.

BTW - would really recommend gates - I still use it for both mine, even though the boy is older now. When I want peace I barricade them in the back of the house -they can play in the dining room and still see me. They could jump it but they dont. Ans as my girl is going thru puppy adolescence at the moment there are many occasions I peace!

I have some places gated for the kids, but he'd still bark. Actually, he can see us very well from outside. Our table is next to the sliding glass door. I wonder if this could be the problem? But nowhere else to put the table, so we'll have to deal with it. I like the plastic bottle idea.

An oldie but a goodie is to buy a squirt bottle, and fill it with a solution of diluted vinegar / or citronella oil. Squirt him when he barks, with a sharp "no Barking" or whatever your command is to be quiet. Keep to exactly the same command every time, so he knows what you mean. Dogs don't like the smell of vinegar, or citronella, so will associate it with barking, therefore thinking that barking is bad and I should really stop this.

Never, ever, make the solution too strong, or use anything caustic. Some people say put chilli in it, or bleach, but that is cruel and can never be condoned.

Citronella bark collars work on exactly the same principal as the vinegar solution.

And don't overlook the benefits it brings you as the "shooter". Your aim will get very good very quickly, and next time you go to paintball, you'll ace everyone! :)

Thanks Garloch, if this continues, I will look into bark collars.

I feed my puppy after we all eat. I have a similar problem, Holly seven months plays up when ever in her kennel keeps whimpering and trying to climb out. If I lock her out of the patio, she jumps in. I think I am going to try the diluted vinegar/ citronella oil.

Guest doggydo

Boredom might be an issue. He's just been desexed, so I have been trying to keep him somewhat quiet. At Puppy School, they told us to feed them last, so I have been trying that. Last night, it was pouring, though, so I let him in and fed him first (as we were going to be eating very late). No barking. He got what he wanted, I guess.

Ah see, as I said I believe they should be fed first. I dont agree with what the school taught you. Puppies get hungry, and they need food 3 to 4 times a day depending on age. Older they get you cut down the amount.

Ah see, as I said I believe they should be fed first. I dont agree with what the school taught you. Puppies get hungry, and they need food 3 to 4 times a day depending on age. Older they get you cut down the amount.

Quite possible that he's barking from being legitimately hungry. Last night, I threw him a bone to chew while we ate. That kept him happy. Funny, our last golden was so well-behaved, even as a pup, and we did everything wrong with him. He slept in our bed, sat on our couch, wasn't crate trained, was let inside if barking, ate with us . . . He always had his way, and it kept him content.

• 2 weeks later...

We too had problems with our golden barking whilst outside during our dinner time. He now gets fed first (outside as always), usually an hour or so before us and no barking at all. In fact he now sleeps in the kitchen with a full belly whilst we eat our dinner at the dining table. No problems any more even if he is put outside whilst we eat. He'll snooze out there until we are done.

Ah the sliding glass door! Your pup can see you but not get to you! My parents have a sliding glass door and my dogs kick up more of a stink when there outside than at home because of the glass door. Apart from covering the door so pup can't see you :thumbsup: - you said pup was crate trained? What about putting pup in the crate while you eat with a kong filled with food or peanut butter etc?

Kavik:

you said pup was crate trained? What about putting pup in the crate while you eat with a kong filled with food or peanut butter etc?

My thoughts also. This is all part of teaching your puppy self control and calmness. You should be able to get to the stage of sending him to his crate for a quiet lie down. Once he's accustomed to it, you'll be able to leave the door open and he'll probably just go there.

Plenty of people teach a dog to go to a mat or basket.. very handy for visitors, meals etc.

Edited by poodlefan

My dog barks loads too. All day! Not as bad as yours (no offence) but usally all day. But not when we're going on walks, because it's not her territory.

But, I suggest that you either get a clicker (which we've got) or a collar. You know those collars where you have a remote, and if they bark or something you press 1, 2 or 3. 1 lets off a little spray stuff (I think its water, I'm not sure), 2 gives off a siren thing that your dog REALLY hates, and 3 lets off a big spray and a loud (to dogs) siren.

At least I think that's what happens.

Hold on, my family has got a method: we either use our clicker, or we say, "Jemma, come!" (because Jemma's her name) and she comes, and usally stops barking.

Best of luck.

:thumbsup::eek: