Fruit To Dogs

B-Q

I think I read somewhere back the occasional apple is okay?

Grapes are a no no, I assume you avoid citrus fruits.

I know their probably not necasary but Buster loves fruit and really isn't mad on raw meat. He looks so disgusted some days when he has to eat it. His favourite is watermelon and rockmelon, he used to go and raid the compost bin for fruit left overs.

So what can I give him as a treat that won't do him any harm?

Jaeger LOVES his fruit. He doesnt usually care for anything I eat (not even the juciest hamburger, big t-bone steak, etc).. but if I've got fruit he will come running from a mile away :thumbsup:. I have given him apples, mangoes, peaches, bananas, pawpaw, oranges, blueberries, cherries and pears before and he loves them all. It's only an occasional treat though and I have to be careful not to give him too much incase he gets the runs

I dont ever give him grapes though.

All fruit is fine in moderation but don't overdo it, dogs aren't designed to deal with large amounts of carbohydrate and fibre and may get the runs. Fruits with seeds in such as kiwifruit are high in fibre and can have a laxative effect, they can also have the same effect on people if you eat too many of them :thumbsup:

Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to this site so don't know the answers to a lot of your questions so was wondering why grapes are a big no no for dogs, my dog loves them and will eat them if she gets a chance, she also eats bananas, are they ok?

Thanks

Tracey

My dogs reguarily get fruit with no ill effect.....

they love grated apple on their dinner, especially if they have been off their food a little bit.

banana on toast for breaky.........pineapple from the BBQ

Havn't found many fruits they dont like......i think a lot of dogs have a sweet tooth!

start off with just a little bit to avoid upset tummy........avoid giving whole fruit with large stones/seeds as they can get stuck and avoid citrus.

No grapes!

Grapes and sultanas and raisins have caused irreversible liver damage in dogs.

My dogs etc all melons, apples, pears, bananas - pretty well everything except kiwi fruit, passionfruit and grapes, as part of their diet - not in huge quantities, but they probably had some fruit nearly every day. Mine refuse to eat citrus fruit, but lots of dogs do.

As for citrus fruits, I threw half a lime for harry the other day, thought he'd taste it and spit it out. Nope...down it went. He also insists on eating the brocolli stalks, if we forget to give them to him after dinner he'll get the entire stalk out of the bin and sit down and eat the entire thing, same with melon rinds.

This is the info that we (at Doggie Rescue) give new dog owners, based on a First Aid handbook for dogs. There are other things that are toxic (like chocolate, caffeine etc) but here is the fruit/vegie info for you:

Grapes and sultanas are toxic. There have been quite a few reported deaths from dogs who have eaten grapes. Many dogs have eaten the occasional grape and been fine, but I just don't risk it with my dogs.

Green/unripe tomatoes are toxic, as are tomato plants.

Onions cause anaemia, which is much more serious in dogs than in people. They can die if they become too anaemic and don't get treatment.

Stone fruit like apricots and peaches are ok but the seeds are toxic - they contain small amounts of arsenic, so if the seed is cracked open and eaten its a bad thing.

Apple seeds generally pass through and come out whole in faeces so aren't usually a problem.

Avocado is also toxic.

You need to be cautious if you have fruit trees in the yard as fallen fruit can ferment and produce alcohol and harmful bacteria that dogs should not be eating. I've seen wild rainbow lorrikeets getting 'drunk' off fermenting fruit.

Other fruits are fine but you shouldn't feed too much or you'll end up with very pooey dogs.

My dogs LOVE watermelon but if they eat too much they get the squirts.

You should also be very careful about compost bins/heaps as the fermenting fruit and veg can produce very toxic bacteria. I know of two dogs who died recently from eating stuff from the compost pile.

I was about to make the exact same thread :) Lucky I searched.

Our pup loves apples. I tried to give her watermelon yesterday but she didn't seem interested (or at least not in the left over skin with water in it :rofl:)

I used to let the kids feed her grapes, but I have been told that is a huge no no, so no no it is.

We discovered today that Jack loves nashi pears ... we were each eating one off our tree, and he looked so pathetic as he offered us all sorts of tricks, so I gave him one. Down it went! They're very juicy, so perhaps he was more attracted to the home-grown option than the store-bought stuff? He isn't usually very interested in fruit other than bananas.

We have a persimmon tree and alot of the fruits have been falling off thanks to the birds who peck at them. I think Chloe's been eating them because she's had the runs today and I haven't fed her anything else different. I haven't actually seen her eat one but I've seen her rolling them around chasing them!

Other than that she loves all fruit but doesn't get it very often.

Ollie likes most fruits but does not get the grapes, avocado, or any dried fruits.

He loves apples, banana, water melon, rock melon, oranges, cherries and strawberries - but only if he gets them off the bush (none of those store bought ones)... The only one he likes cold is watermelon.

They generally get what i am eating at the time. Its the only way Darcy will eat it, is if i am eating it before hand :)

Nova will eat anything and has eaten a whole banana (including the peel) before, his favourite though is cold watermelon on a hot day.