German Spitz Brushing

Hi all,

I just thought I would ask what is the best brush to use on a fluffy????? Instead of trying all the brushes and spending lots of money on them I am hoping that someone might be able to recommend something good, perhaps post a picture of the type and it's make or brand. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure if these are best for the spitz's but I find they're great for my poodles as well as shorter haired dogs- gets rid of some of the extra fur.

Slicker brush.

post-6819-1202814215_thumb.jpg

I've seen some in the supermarkets like BiLo/ Coles that seem OK for < $10. Just be careful as some in KMart are rubbish with very, very harsh steel pins. Pins shouldn't hurt you and the cushion on which they sit should have some give.

Thanks for the suggestions

We have a German Spitz rescue and we use a Plush Puppy Porcupine Brush on her and works a treat on double coated breeds. When she coats right up she can have a coat as big as a Kee and it seperates the undercoat and pulls little hair.

Do you have a photo of your dog? Just ask because some g/spitz carry less undercoat (just like some pomeranians have a spitz very full coat and some have a coat more like a border collie.

If it's the thicker coat the tools you need are a pin brush with springie rubber pad holding the pins and no plastic nodules on the end of the pins. A porcupine brush or plastic tips on the pins of a pin brush on this type of coat will cause static. A long pronged steel comb and a shorter one for the shorter areas. A slicker brush for getting into the undercoat, especially when moulting and some nice conditioning or detangling spray to use as you groom. Once all groomed and no knots, a nice brush and comb through once a week and your dog will look a million dollars. Flick a pin brush through straight awa if they ever get prickles or burrs in the coat. If you leave them in the coat it will cause knots.

If your dog is one with the "flatter" type coat a porcupine brush may be okay but I'd still tend to recommend the tools above as all you will need.

Hi,

I own a samoyed and I use a rake on him to get the undercoat out.

I also have a metal comb with a wooden handle that works well for general brushing.

I also have a slicker brush they are good for getting hair out and making the coat look smooth.

and I use a pin brush for his tail.

Hope this helps,

XXToughgirlXX