Pad Corns

imy

Radar has one... time for surgery probably (I'll get his teeth scrubbed at the same time)

Does anyone else have any information about them? Has anyone had a grey with them?

I feel awful.

He's had it for a while now and although he's been to the vet about a constant limp, we put it down to an old racing injury. I'm thinking I'll need to gather all the info I can and TAKE it to the vets since they didn't pick it up. Its a greyhound (and possibly lurcher) problem so I guess a vet 5 1/2 hours from any city wouldn't come across it much.

We had one that had the corn dug out by the vet. It left a permanent hole in the pad. Ok while it was clean, but it would fill up with little rocks and things and cause a fair amount of discomfort.

We bought little boots for him, which he would wear happily. I am not sure if the lady who has him now is still using them.

The dog, Omo, doesn't really like going for many walks.

Omo and his moon boots

More recently we had another dog, Tempis, that appeared to have a corn causing her to limp. We had it X-rayed, and it was found that the toe had been broken in the past, and the end of the bone was causing the problem. We had the toe removed, and now she walks properly. :laugh:

Thanks for the replies! Ray is fine on the dirt and grass.. doesn't much like walking long distances on asphalt or gravel(but nor do I!)

Since doing some research, I've found some info about them thar corns. Many people use different techniques to get rid of them. One is using common wart paint but I'd feel a bit nervous about doing this as the pad has lots of 'hair' bits (you know the weird skin that makes up the pad?) and I'd think the wart paint would seep into those and burn skin which isn't supposed to be burnt. Not only that, he'd definitely find a way to lick it, no matter what I wrapped it in!

There is another option but I'd feel a bit weird about doing it. My OH does AI on cows and there is always liquid nitrogen around. He's burnt his own warts off and a papaloma on my foot! I'd just feel a bit cruel doing it to a dog... not that he'd feel any soreness until later... but then, I'd think he'd feel the anaesthetic and surgery wound if I had it done professionally too! Probably more-so than a little dot of a nirtogen burn.

What to do, what to do!? Its only quite small and on the far left toe on his left foot... right on the edge.

Opinions??? :laugh:

ETA: I dunno what a 'left-right' foot is... but I wrote it!

Edited by imy

Thanks Layka! It should be okay for now though.

Someone I know is getting their dog's corn hulled today so I'm waiting to find out how it went before I do anything. I don't want to be messing with his foot until I know more about how the vets do it so I can print out the info for my vet.