Any Theories?

Jett

I was wondering what theories may come out of this. I have a young kelpie who is constantly on top of things. I am always seeing him sitting or sleeping on top of the outside table. He always sits on chairs. On top of the barbeque. And now he has taken to jumping on top of my car, and sleeping on the roof! He is like a cat! Any ideas?? Just curious!

My kelpie spends a lot of time on top of the picnic table in our yard. My theory: it enables him to survey "his" domain. He is very territorial.

We have a gate that stops the dogs running down the side after Cash made a habit of barking at passers by. So now he stands on the table and barks at them over the gate.

Having said that, both dogs sleep on the table in the sun from time to time. Best sunbaking spot in the yard :confused:

Its a kelpie thing........ :rofl:

my kelpie will lay ontop of anything rather than be at ground/floor level. And the higher he has to climb to get up there the happier he is. I think its why he likes being in the ute.

He also likes to lay, looking over the world, with his front legs crossed over out front......sometimes hanging off the edge of what ever he is sleeping on. I think this too is a kelpie thing as I have seen a fair few do it.

I did draw the line with him laying on the kitchen bench and dining room table........

I often wonder if its because he likes to see that his 'sheep' are all in their right place.........because if one of his 'sheep' leaves the room, he follows behind and almost pushes them back to where he can see them. I think every living thing in the house is one of his 'sheep' and he even gets awfully upset if the cat goes down the other end of the house.

guess what he has just "learned" to do... he waits for me at the bottom of the driveway when I go out.. and jumps onto the bonnet of my car while the gate is getting shut, and then "surfs" my cars bonnet all the way up to the house (a good 200m)... just as well I usually drive a beat up old car!! If he decides to do it on the good car, he will be in trouble! lol i will try and get a photo!

guess what he has just "learned" to do... he waits for me at the bottom of the driveway when I go out.. and jumps onto the bonnet of my car while the gate is getting shut, and then "surfs" my cars bonnet all the way up to the house (a good 200m)... just as well I usually drive a beat up old car!! If he decides to do it on the good car, he will be in trouble! lol i will try and get a photo!

sounds like fun mum.........

Not very safe tho!!! It would worry me that if he fell I would run him over.......

Kelpie thing here too - Jarrah spends his whole life trying to lie on top of things. He sits on top of the towers of bricks & pavers we have in the yard for the landscaping, the back of the lounge (I think he used to do this at ML's place too!), lies on the top step of our staircase & sleeps on a wooden bench/settle that we have outside the back door.

I think it is because they have been bred for certain characteristics for so long & one of them is backing sheep as someone else said. Doesnt matter if your dog doesnt actually back (Jarrah won't have a bar of it either), the instinct to be up high & see what is going on is still there.

sounds like fun mum.........

Not very safe tho!!! It would worry me that if he fell I would run him over.......

Dont worry :rolleyes: I think the same thing... so drive very s l o w l y, seriously slower than walking speed!!.... Im sure he thinks "go faster mum"!

Interesting, never thought of it being a kelpie thing but thinking back, one or two of dads working dogs preferred to sleep in the lower branches of the big cypress trees they were tied to than ever go near their kennel. From memory one preferred the top of their kennel as well.

My kelpie x much prefers my camp chair than her crate at trials, to the extent I no longer bother with the crate and just take an extra camp chair! :rolleyes:

Edited by feralpup

I personally think it steams from wild canine instincts.

I have a Dingo and he is always ON TOP of something, including the roof of our Ute :D ;)

if you have ever seen, wolves, dingoes etc at zoos or sanctuaries, they always have something to get up on top of and like to be up high and on the look out .

Also you will see in the wild alot of canines build their dens on the side of hills so they have a good few of what is around them.

And of cause the famous picture of the wolf howling away standing on top of a hill or a mountain top :eek:

I think supermindy has got it.....

My kelpie spends a lot of time on top of the picnic table in our yard. My theory: it enables him to survey "his" domain. He is very territorial

As we have seen from most posts on this thread it seems to be common with kelpies, well as we all no they are part Dingo :D