First Time At The Vet

pennyw74

tells you about yawning and lip licking that dogs use to calm themselves

That's amazing....whenever I'm training Benson and I put him in a sit stay, he yawns. I wonder if he's calming himself cos he knows he can't move til I tell him.

Back on topic, the first time I took Benson to the vet it was to make the appointment. The vet and nurse made a huge fuss over him and gave him some liver treats. The next time we went, for his vaccination, he couldn't WAIT to get in the door. Now it's a big treat to go to the vets. We walk past there every day as it's just a few doors down from my place and he always looks hopefully at the door!

Panting may be a sign of stress. Your pup may also be feeling a bit car sick. Where abouts in the car is she travelling?

I have to say that, provided the instruction is at all decent, familiarisation with the vet practice is a very good reason to attend puppy pre-school at your vets. I make a habit of taking all three dogs with me regardless of who is being treated. They all get a treat but they still aren't thrilled to be there.

Stay calm, chat to the staff when you are there and get them to give her treats - it all helps.

The day we brought her home, she sat on my lap and towards the end was panting.

She still sits on my lap. We haven't really gone too far in the car with her, just up the street and back.

She hates her collar and lead so that would make the experience even worse.

You have had some good advice here. All the things i would have said. I hadnt heard the nursery rhyme one, i will try that with my girl greyhound who always gets nervy at the vet. We just changed vets too as we moved, and when we went in last week for our annual shots, i thought things may be ok but she was still stressed -but she is getting better. I try and ingnore the behaviour, and correct her when she pulls at her lead to bolt. She is well behaved tho, and will let the vet examine her (she kinda freezes as greys tend to do).

Regarding her collar and lead, you must get her used to it. It is against the law to walk your dog off lead except for designated off leash areas, and you still have to get her there. If you carry her to and from the park from the car, you are opening up another whole can of worms. Practice with her in your yard with her collar and lead, with treats and high praise when she is exhibiting desired behaviour. Gently correct undesirable behaviour (bucking, pulling, whining etc). Slow and steady. just a minute at a time initially, and gradually increase it. If you are leaving her collarless because she doesnt like it, that should stop as well. Your dog should have a tagged collar on at all times, as careful as we are, they do sometimes escape. If she doesnt like the collar you have, try and find one that is as light weight as possible, and soft. Just for her to wear around your home. If it isnt strong enough for walking, then get another one for those occasions where you leave the house. Pups are fast learners, she will pick it up.

I would also not be allowing her to sit on your lap in the car. It will just cause her to think she is higher up in your 'pack' than she should be. same with carrying her around. And certainly dont pick her up when another dog approaches.

Always be calm and assertive, and strive for her to be calm and submissive.

I am glad you asked advice on here, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and with the right training, you will have a very well rounded dog. Good luck

Once she has had her vaccinations, I won't be carrying her at all. We've just been told to carry her outside until she's allowed to walk to at least show her there is more to life than our backyard.

Also, we live in a townhouse, so we have to carry her on common property, which means to and from our front door to the street. Ridiculous, I know.

I am getting her a new collar this weekend.

Where is the correct place for her to be in the car?

Edited by pennyw74

Once she has had her vaccinations, I won't be carrying her at all. We've just been told to carry her outside until she's allowed to walk to at least show her there is more to life than our backyard.

Also, we live in a townhouse, so we have to carry her on common property, which means to and from our front door to the street. Ridiculous, I know.

I am getting her a new collar this weekend.

Where is the correct place for her to be in the car?

Good

Bummer

and, Good!

If she is a nervous car traveller, i would put her in a crate, make it comfy for her, add some of her bedding and or toys and introduce her to it before you put it in the car. Get her well used to it inside, let her know it is her own space. Being a small dog you may get away with a soft crate. Also handy if it turns out she is nervous of thunder storms.

My two dogs dive into the back seat, spread out and sleep for the duration of any trip. But that's greyhounds.

You could also try a harness in the back seat. I dont like them personally, i get too distracted if they are moving around, and worrying they will get tangled. Also with two, as i have, there is the extra worry for me that they will get tangled up together. Fortunately mine behave well in the car.

Make it fun for her and she should enjoy it. Give her treats - get her to sit, and reward her for calm behaviour etc.

That's an excellent point. This article on calming signals tells you about yawning and lip licking that dogs use to calm themselves and those around them. Body language can make all the difference to an anxious dog.

So I'll start yawning too then.

I'll be sure to let you know how she goes at the vet.

How'd you go with the calming signals? Don't just try it in the car, try it all the time- it feels silly but it does work. Our behavioural vet also told us to teach 'calm on command' which is basically patting the dog when it is calm, and repeating the word (in a soothing voice) 'caaalm'. I don't know how effective it is, generally just coo it at my dogs when I pat them, running my fingers down the length of their back (massage style). They *love* it. :laugh:

Funny you should ask. I've been yawning when she's been full of beans but it doesn't really work. She thinks it's great and wants to "eat" my yawn, so she launches at my face.

I do always pat her when she's calm, though. Obviously I can't pat her when she's bouncing around.

So, if I yawn when she's a little more calm, what do you think she'll do?

She was being a nightmare last night, jumping up, using her mouth to play, being very rough.

She was told "no" several times in the loud voice but she was so excited. I suggested to my fiance than he yawn. It didn't work - obviously she was way past that working. He yelled in a really loud voice "no". She sat down with her head on her front paws, looking at him, looking away. She knew she was in trouble. Then she walked very slowly over to me, climbed on my lap (I was sitting on the bean bag), snuggled in and went to sleep.

She didn't like being in trouble so just wanted it all to go away.

You can't help but smile.

Izzy was fine at the vet. She behaved herself and I was so proud....until he put the needle in.

She yelped and I got teary (I'm hopeless) but I didn't let her see me get upset.

After that, the vet wasn't her favourite person and she crawled away from him, almost off the table.

She has been sulking ever since. I'm not sure if it's because she's wearing her new collar or from the vaccination.

Has anybody else's puppy "lost" their personality after their vaccination?

She slept for four hours straight. She just seemed so sad.

A chicken neck seemed to bring her to life a bit. She didn't eat a big breakfast this morning, then, I guess, the whole vet experience was just too much for her.

She's completely back to normal now, pouncing around with her toys - still scratching her collar, though. That will just take time to get used to, I suppose.

Glad that she did OK at the vet.

Just a couple of things -

As has been suggested to you, I would follow up on this vet visit with a number of visits to the vet surgery - to weigh her, and just to let people love her - especialy while she's cute. I've done this with my dogs - and still take my 6 year old BCs in every 3 weeks or so - to weigh them on the scales in the waiting room, and also just to keep them happy about being there. (Obviously I choose my times when the waiting room is not too full.) Most vet surgery staff are happy with you doing this - it helps them in the long run, because it means they have less stressed out clients - canine and human. :thumbsup:

Keep up the car trip stuff - lots of short, happy trips - take her if you're going to the shops for anything - take her to places she likes to go. The idea of your fiance taking her in the car to pick you up was brilliant. Just like with the vet office - you're trying to build up a very happy association - car = great things happening for dogs.

On the calming signals - they are calming not in the sense of calming a dog down from being crazy with fun - that's a different thing - something you have to enforce with a "That'll do" or something like that, and getting the pup to be quiet - rewarding for calm behaviour like lying on a mat - maybe with a chew toy. It's really important for you to help a pup find her off switch.

The calming signals that Turid Rugaas is talking about are more 'placating' signals - when the dog is stressed/worried/anxious - originally about other dogs - but can also be about situations and/or handler behaviour. They are signals designed to 'turn down' the level of stress/arousal of another dog - like saying "I'm not a threat" - so you woud only expect to see any reaction from your dog to you yawning, if the dog was in an anxious situation. It's like turning sideways on and avoiding eye contact when approaching a shy/uncertain dog.

Anyway - hopefully you'll be less stressed now that you know Izzy coped fine with her first vet visit. Good job.