An Idea; "the Ultimate Dol Raw/prey Diet Information" Thread

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the organs at the supermarket have been expensive of late. :) Does anyone have any good sources of organ (particularly in Adelaide)?

I do have a butcher nearby who has lots of liver for cheap... But I do want some other things, too. :laugh: (He is at the Hallett Cove shopping complex.)

I give all our greyhounds fish oil as a daily supplement. Not because I think that the meat I buy for them is lacking in anything, but because, as with humans, fish oil can be helpful in reducing arthritic pain and inflammation. Our greys are 11, 10 and 6. It's probably not necessary for the 6yo yet, but it helps with her tendency to dry skin and coat.

I also give eggs as a multi-vitamin supplement between 1-3 times a week.

All the organs at the supermarket have been expensive of late. :) Does anyone have any good sources of organ (particularly in Adelaide)?

I do have a butcher nearby who has lots of liver for cheap... But I do want some other things, too. :( (He is at the Hallett Cove shopping complex.)

Hi Leema,

I get all my organs (LOL not MY organs, but ones for the dogs! :laugh:) from the supermarkets, either Coles/Woolies/Foodland. I happen to work right near two supermarkets, so I go in every day to see if they have specials on, and more often than not the organs are marked down for quick sale :hug: I guess not that many people use them around this area maybe? There is always a huge supply. I'm in the Tea Tree Gully area.

Definitely still looking for a butcher relatively close for a good supply of bones though...

Just wondering if any of the 'raw/prey model' feeders add any supplements. I've just had a good read of a few 'raw/prey model' websites and they say there's no need except for maybe fish oil. Also what raw meaty bones are meaty enough with out adding extra meat. :D

Fish oil is only really needed if you're unable to find enough grass fed meat to provide omega 3s in the diet. Here in Australia I think most of our lamb and beef and of course kangaroo and rabbit are grass fed, so FO shouldn't really be needed unless your dog's main diet is chicken.

I don't use FO at the moment, instead I feed as much grass fed red meat as I can find, and a raw salmon head or bunch of fresh sardines once or twice a week.

Recently I've noticed one of my dogs has dandruff, so I'll be upping his whole raw eggs to maybe three a week for a while and see how I go. If no change, then I'll be trying the fish oil...

Whole raw meaty bones - pork shoulder roasts, lamb leg roasts, most other roasts, maybe whole chickens or turkeys but they'll need more meat added in the long run, whole raw fish, and maybe lamb shanks and pork hocks (a little high on bone).

Perfect would be a whole prey animal (lamb, goat) chopped into pieces and fed until gone.

I've found it's much easier to go with a not-so-meaty bone like a lamb neck or chicken frame, with added boneless meat.

One of my dogs gets a tiny bit of meaty bone with a separate hunk of meat every day, and the other dog gets a meaty bone one day, then a boneless chunk the next. Every dog is different...

Examples of (affordable) boneless meat would be Ox tongue, beef heart and lamb heart, but if you look around, I'm sure you could find others - some butchers sell off-cuts that can be quite meaty.

This post is spot on!

I've found that feeding meaty bones with added boneless meat is also a very cost effective way to feed.

Some of Bosco's fav combos are:

Chicken frame stuffed with diced beef heart

Roo tail with diced roo meat

Lamb neck and lamb heart

All the organs at the supermarket have been expensive of late. :( Does anyone have any good sources of organ (particularly in Adelaide)?

I do have a butcher nearby who has lots of liver for cheap... But I do want some other things, too. :cry: (He is at the Hallett Cove shopping complex.)

Hi Leema,

I get all my organs (LOL not MY organs, but ones for the dogs! :laugh:) from the supermarkets, either Coles/Woolies/Foodland. I happen to work right near two supermarkets, so I go in every day to see if they have specials on, and more often than not the organs are marked down for quick sale :D I guess not that many people use them around this area maybe? There is always a huge supply. I'm in the Tea Tree Gully area.

Definitely still looking for a butcher relatively close for a good supply of bones though...

Hi Cassie!

I have just discovered Austral Meats at Gepps Cross on Main North Rd. They are a wholesale butcher and have a little shop there. I get chicken wings for $1.95/kg. If you ring in the mornings and ask for the butcher you can find out what they have that day. If you give them enough time they will get most things for you. I got some brisket ones the other day for $1/kg. I have also got lambs fry and hearts from there too.

Trish :(

Thanks so much Trish!!! Brisket bones are one thing I can never find, or only in very small amounts. Cheers for that :vomit:

Not sure if this is more a BARF question than a RAW diet, but when people give yoghurt to their dogs, what sort are you giving? What should I be looking for on the label?

Thanks so much Trish!!! Brisket bones are one thing I can never find, or only in very small amounts. Cheers for that :vomit:

Not sure if this is more a BARF question than a RAW diet, but when people give yoghurt to their dogs, what sort are you giving? What should I be looking for on the label?

I make my own Cassie. There was a discussion on here once and people were saying that their naturopaths say that the best yoghurt is the one that is made and sold in the same container. As most are decanted into the containers they are sold in, a lot of the bacteria die off. I use Easi-Yo, the bio-life natural one. Costs me about $3.70 for 1kg and last 2 weeks with 2 dogs.

Trish :love:

Cassie, I always visit the supermarkets for things marked down but haven't found much of late. :vomit: Only found a huge stash of beef heart the other week, and I still have some beef liver in my freezer to bag up eventually. So not looking too desperate at the moment but just the supermarkets have had full price on all their gross offal. :love: Who buys it at full price, seriously?!

I make my own Cassie. There was a discussion on here once and people were saying that their naturopaths say that the best yoghurt is the one that is made and sold in the same container. As most are decanted into the containers they are sold in, a lot of the bacteria die off. I use Easi-Yo, the bio-life natural one. Costs me about $3.70 for 1kg and last 2 weeks with 2 dogs.

Trish :laugh:

Thanks again Trish, will keep an eye out for it :p

Cooked chicken breast because I'm not getting yucky raw chicken all over my hands at dog training :( . Banjo's treats when we go to training are his dinner so I want them to be something nutritious, so any cooked meat/offal. I just use the Natures Gift mini treats at home as I only use a small handfull in a training session.

Oh, and Westiemum, Penny is 8kg (small corgi). I aim to feed her between 350 and 400 grams a day, but honestly, it's so easy to maintain weight on raw. Much easier than on kibble. If Penny's looking a little broader than I like her, I cut back a bit. If she's getting a bit thin, I obviously feed her a little more. It takes very little time for her to respond to a changed amount. If you feed something bigger than the daily alotment, it's no big deal to feed them only a snack or nothing at all the next day. You'll get a feel for it very quickly.

Wow! Talk about individual differences for individual dogs!! My GSD is almost 4 times the weight of your corgi (she's 30kg) and eats 500g a day, which is not a huge increase on your 350-400g a day. You would think she'd need to eat about four times the quantity, but nooo. 350-400g a day sounds like a lot for an 8kg dog, but as you say, it's working for your dog just fine.

This 500g is keeping Jyra at a steady weight too.