Best Place For A Puppy To Ride In The Car?

Get a car harness and attached the dog to an anchor point of some type or put it in a secure crate. I use a car harness myself (for safety) and have a hatch so have the seats down so they are not on the seat and use a blanket but you can also get good back seat protectors if you want to

In a secured crate where it is safe and sound,and comfortable when you are in the car or exiting/entering your car. If you have a station wagon or similar, on hot days make sure you have shade over the windows. I travelled in the back of a friends air conditioned Toyota 4 wheel drive on a hot day last week, and I swear it was at least 10C hotter than the front.

Crates are portable and have so much uses.

She has a crate that she sleeps in at night. It is quite large (to cater for when she is fully grown). There is no way I can lift this crate myself.

Get a plastic one!! Even the large ones are easy to lift. Plastic is good for the car because any spills are contained and you can wash it out.

I find crates a bit overkill for most people in cars. Might be easy with a tiny dog, but crates for medium to large dogs don't even fit in the back of a car.

A harness is easy, not seatbelt safe but safe, and nicely restrains the dogs without the hassle.

I have a hatchback so the back seats get folded down and our GSD has the back half of the car. I put down a waterproof blanket and then layers of towels and doona covers to make a nice comfy bed. The dog is in a harness which is secured to the anchor point in the rear of the car (designed for baby seats etc). I use a double ended lead which is made to length - so he can put his nose up at the window but not get too far forward.

A crate would have just been too difficult to get in and out so I found the harness much easier.

If you do get a harness - just be aware of some of the cheaper harnesses and their plastic clips. The first harness we brought - the clips just fell apart when it was tested with the dog pulling.

Has anyone tried the Kramar Roadie ?

I have a big plastic crate (which she sleeps in too), takes up half the back seat when I put it in there, but I find it is the best way for my dog to travel. I brought a harness, but she's too small for it and it was definitely not a good way for her to travel as the harness meant she could still jump off the seat to the footwell, even when it was on it's shortest length!!

The crate can be a hassle, but it's safe and she's got her big soft bed in there, plus Snuggle Puppie to keep her company. :laugh:

I have a wagon and I had my dog anchored in there behind the safety grill. He was continually car sick!! And I mean continually...... :p

Moved him to the back seat where he is anchored on the safety grill by double ended leash and all car sickness is over and he has a window where he happily sicks his nose out. I bought a harness but didn't like it, I know most people use the harness.

Will try the back back again when he's alot older but he's as happy as larry in the backseat where we can chat and he's not too far away :laugh:

I have two built in crates behind a cargo barrier in a station wagon, I will always use crates to transport dogs, I'm not a fan of harnesses.

Miranda, is that expensive? We're looking at getting a wagon or similar (for the dog of course :laugh: ) and I'd like to do have a built in crate or 2 (must plan for the next addition!) - did you build them yourself or have someone do it?

TIA :p

• 1 month later...