Toy - Home Alone

GoldD

i never worked out how the food is meant to come out .. but maybe that's because I have the 50kg + size ball & Axle only weighs 5 kg.

Bouf was/is not interested.

We started Axle off just by swinging it & even though there's no food, he used to go crazy swinging & tugging on it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i never worked out how the food is meant to come out .. but maybe that's because I have the 50kg + size ball & Axle only weighs 5 kg.

We started Axle off just by swinging it & even though there's no food, he used to go crazy swinging & tugging on it.

They really do need the appropriate size 1 for their body weight for it to work correctly. All of them have different strength bungee cord on them. The larger the size, the stronger the bungee cord is. So a little dog I doubt would have sufficient weight to get enough movement happening for food to be dispensed from a large dog home alone

We have one, Ed liked it for a few weeks, and now a few years later its lying on the ground at mums, and Molly loves dragging it around the backyard when we go visit!

We also have the staffy ball, which Molly plays with but Ed's not fussed by

Staffy ball was a no go here.

But i took it to work and Atlas's dad LOVES it! had to ban him from it, he has hurt his nose pushing it around!! He got it stuck in a BIG hole the bullies had dug... Came up covered in mud, with the saddest look on his face cause he couldnt get it out :confused:

They really do need the appropriate size 1 for their body weight for it to work correctly. All of them have different strength bungee cord on them. The larger the size, the stronger the bungee cord is. So a little dog I doubt would have sufficient weight to get enough movement happening for food to be dispensed from a large dog home alone

I did think that might be it !

I didn't bother about getting a smaller one because Axle doesn't care much about food, he just played on it for ages anyway to get the tugging & swinging.

He used to look like those fairground rides .. horizontally circling flat out.

The only reason's he's stopped playing so much on it is because we've added Bess to the pack & they play tug & chase together all day long.

I reckon they're brilliant & well worth the money if you have a dog interested in tugging &/or food.

• 4 years later...

I had to take ours down because the kelpie got too obsessed with it - she loved it and we didn't put food in it after the first couple of times. the hound sed to mouth the rope in a half hearted kind of way. I ended up giving it to friends who have a BC pup to try with him.

My youngest just loves his Home Alone. I used to buy the Heavy Duty Turbo Chook but he kept breaking those - they were hardly lasting a week. I found the Home Alone better as this is only his third one ... we have it attached to the clothes line so it bounces up and down as well as moves around.

The poor clothes line was old and needing replacing to begin with but is now on an almost 45 degree angle and has bent arms ... I suppose that is what you get when a 45kg dog hangs off it most of the day.

post-1668-0-73420600-1343217117_thumb.jpg

post-1668-0-47129900-1343217142_thumb.jpg

post-1668-0-88257500-1343217158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tilly

I bought the small one to keep my paps occupied and out of mischief..I also have a Sheltie that is 11 and 1/2 years old... This is how they keep themselves busy until the food runs out.... Not exactly how I had planned it to to keep the paps occupied, they were the ones that were supposed to be working for the food, not my poor old Sheltie. LOL.

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

How big is the whole where the food falls out? Would it be big enough for Advance all breed kibble to fall out?

ETA: if not, will it cope with some drilling or will that crack the plastic?

Edited by Naomi

In the large one ... you can't push a marble through the hole.

I think the plastic is suitable to drill ... but I never have. I didn't even think of putting food in ours ... but we did put a marble in it (for the rattle noise) and just put the hole facing up rather then down.

I used one of these toys to keep my swf puppy occupied when I lived in a townhouse. I attached it to the clothesline in the courtyard, put some food in it and it kept him amused for hours. This is a dog who doesn't even like toys. But the motivation of food was enough for him to play tug with it. Funnily enough he now loves tug :) Plus it saved our house from being destroyed by a bored puppy.

But as Teebs mentioned before the hole at the top is to put the food it and when the dog tugs it jiggles the ball up and down the rope. As the ball moves up and down the rope the treats are dispensed out the bottom hole. I liked it because he had to really work to get the food out and it wasn't all gone in 5 minutes.

ive been looking at aussiedog products for a while- their stuff seems really good. does anyone have any other toys? and can you only get them on the internet?

Aussiedog are the only toys that have lasted with my dogs. I bought the puppy pack before I got Tia. She will be eleven this year and the toys have all survived another three Kelpie pups after her. I also bought a Turbo chook about a year later and although the ribbon like tails are long gone the rest is fine. I have a treat ball which I've never used with food as I don't want any play sessions turning into arguments over food. I have to keep this up high away from the dogs as they tend to bark and exhaust themselves with this - one dog tries to make it roll, while the other tries to stop it and they both bark at it.

I bought all mine over the internet but I've seen the toys in Best Friends so I suppose other pet supply shops would sell them.

I really don't know how Joe makes any money with toys that last as well as these and don't need replacing.

Mine arrived today! Couldn't find anywhere high enough to hang it from and she doesn't seem to interested, I had to really, really rev her up to get her to tug it. She doesn't realise the food is falling out of it either :(

My Rotty boy has one in his run. When he is in there he plays with it all the time. It used to have a marble in it but that got lost, now it has a stone. When he is not in the run we leave the door open and we often find him playing with it. He absolutely loves it. The 3 girls just ignore it.