Titer Test Results

Guest Tess32

I think it would be interesting to keep track of people's results, age of dog etc :laugh: I know not too many people titer test right now, but if you do please add your results.

Dog:

Breed:

Vaccinations had:

Titer result:

Would be the handy format :cry:

Dog: Noah

Breed: Collie (Rough)

Vaccinations - C3 @ 6 weeks (Forte dodge), Parvac at 10 weeks, C3 (Nobivac) at 13 weeks.

Titer result - <1:5 (though we have restested and we'll post those results)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dog: Rafael

Breed: Shar Pei

Vaccinations had: C3 at 6 weeks, C5 at 10 weeks, C5 at 14 weeks

Titer result: Parvo 80/100, Distemper 20/100, Hepatitis 10/100.

My boy suffers badly from atopic dermatitis, food intolerances and inflammatory bowel disease and I have no plans to vaccinate in the future unless parvo drops substantially.

How much roughly is it to get it?

Now that George is no longer going to training I've been thinking of this for a while. I need to do something either way as I groom from home so can't really take it upon myself to simply not vax or assume all is well in case a clients dog gets sick and they want to point the finger, I can be covered.

Hi,

Name Illy

Breed ACD

Age 3.5 years

Vaccinations C3 at 6 weeks, C3 at 12 weeks and C3 at 16 weeks, C5 at 16 months.

Titre test at 29 months Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:80

Titre test at 3.5 years Parvo </=1:80 Distemper 1:5

C3 given to boost distemper result. at 3.5 years.

Hope this helps.

Again

Name Dax

Breed Lab (she was a rehome but assume she had all her vaccinations when due)

Age 4.5 years

Vaccinations: C3 at least at 6/12/16 weeks/16 months.

Definately C5 at 28 months.

Titre test at 39 months Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:80

Titre test at 4.5 years parvo >/=1:80 Distemper 1:20

Didn't revaccinate as while distemper did decline she was still covered.

Vet thought that the difference in immunity may have been because there is 12 months difference in ages and Dax had had one more C5 than Illy.

Will be interested to see other results.

• 1 month later...

Daxilly - Interesting to see your kids last titre results and the fact that you opted to go for another C3. (I spoke with a couple of vets who also strongly recommended this course of action).

I too have a problem with my kids distemper levels being 1:5 and their parvo levels being 1>80. I investigated a single distemper vaccine - however there is not one available in Australia. I then spoke with my vet again who believes that the low distemper levels are possibly due to the fact that the kids have not been exposed to distemper.

I have opted to repeat the titres in 12 months time and to hold off on the C3.

Name: Winston

Breed: West Highland White Terrier

Vaccinations C3 at 6 weeks, C5 at 10 weeks, C5 at 14 weeks, C5 at 12 months, C5 at 1 year, C5 at 2 years, C5 at 3 years, C5 at 4 years

Titre test at 5 years: Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:80

Titre test at 7 years: Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:80

Name: Riley

Breed: West Highland White Terrier

Vaccinations C3 at 6 weeks, C5 at 10 weeks, C5 at 14 weeks, C5 at 12 months, C5 at 1 year, C5 at 2 years, C5 at 3 years

Titre test at 4 years: Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:80

Titre test at 6 years: Parvo >/=1:20 Distemper >/=1:80

(Did not re-vaccinate)

Name: Spencer

Breed: Brittany x Border Collier

Vaccinations C5 at approx 1 year (vaccs history unknown as he was adopted from pound)

Titre test at approx 2 years: Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:80

Guest Tess32
Daxilly - Interesting to see your kids last titre results and the fact that you opted to go for another C3. (I spoke with a couple of vets who also strongly recommended this course of action).

I too have a problem with my kids distemper levels being 1:5 and their parvo levels being 1>80. I investigated a single distemper vaccine - however there is not one available in Australia. I then spoke with my vet again who believes that the low distemper levels are possibly due to the fact that the kids have not been exposed to distemper.

I have opted to repeat the titres in 12 months time and to hold off on the C3.

Yep, I'd say your vet is correct :laugh: 1:5 is still considered acceptable anyway.

Guest Tess32
Hi Tess,

This is such a good idea. :laugh: I'm going to get Gus titre tested after his next vax at 12 months. Can you just quickly explain what the results mean please?

Thx

Vic :rofl:

Under 1:5 is considered sub-optimal cover, 1:5 is the "acceptable" level, over 1:5 (parvo is usually 1:80 it seems) is optimal.

Low titers in an *adult* dog does not mean they have no immunity as titer tests only test one type of immunity (humoral) whereas the dog can/does still have cell mediated immunity (not testable). A low titer can simply mean your dog hasn't come into contact with the virus lately and so his immune system hasn't needed to mount a response and 'call into action' the antibodies that fight that virus. Newly vaccinated dogs will for eg shed low levels of parvo into the environment, so a walk through the park can increase those titer results anyway.

The optimal way is really to titer test a puppy, 14 days after his final puppy shot. This will tell you if the puppy has seroconverted (his immune system has responded to the vaccination/virus).

Many believe once a dog has seroconverted, he is immune for life. I'm still unsure about whether they truly need another shot on an adult immune system.

Hope that helps :rofl:

Dog: Jewel

Vaccinations had: C3 at 6 weeks, C5 at 11 weeks, C5 at 15 weeks, C5 at 1 year, C5 at 3 years

Jewel suffers from Systemic Lupus so cannot be vaccinated

Dog: Zephyr

Vaccinations had: C3 at 6 weeks, C5 at 10 weeks, extreme allergic reaction to KC vaccine, C3 at 14 weeks, C3 at 1 Year, C3 at 3 years

I will not be vaccinating my dogs ever again, Jewel cannot be done ever, but if Zephyr's drop too low I might have too

I beleive and so does my vet that Zephyrs C5 Vaccination at 10 weeks started his skin allergies

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tess32

Dog: Ebony

Breed: Collie (Rough)

Vaccinations had - Puppy + yearly up to 6 years old. C3.

Titer Result: 1:20 - no need for revaccination.

Dog: Ella

Breed: Border Collie

Vaccinations had: C4/5 (can't remember) at 8wks, C5 at 12 wks, C5 at 12 months

Titre Results: My vet has a different sort of test which gives your a numerical result between 1 and 6. 1-3 being zero to low immunity with vaccination recommended and 4-6 being sufficient to very high immunity vaccination not required. My girl has a 5 and 6 for parvo and hepatitis and a 4 for distemper. She will be retested in about 10 months to check on the distemper.

I thought I would add Rosie's results which done at the same clinic as Seita's

Name Rosie

Breed Hungarian Vizsla

Age 19 weeks

Previous vaccinations C4 at 8 weeks and C3 at 12 weeks

Test results showed

Hepatitis - 6 (Very High Immunity)

Distemper - 4 (Sufficient Immunity)

Parvovirus - 3 (Low Immunity)

At this stage she will not be revaccinated as she has shown suppressed immune system responses to her previous vaccinations as well as worming medications and topical flea treatments. Also this was suggested to me by Dr Jean Dodds. See the whole story at

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=133690

Name Jamie

Breed GWP

Age 11 yrs

Vaccinations: Every year culiminating in C5 in December 2006

Titre test Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:20

Name Aja

Breed GWP

Age 7 yrs (in June)

Vaccinations: Every year culiminating in C5 in December 2006

Titre test Parvo >/=1:80 Distemper >/=1:80

Edited by JackieW

Guest Tess32
I was told you can't titer test for kennel cough and it still has to be done yearly.As I've seen no results here for it I assume this is right?

Yep no titer test - up to you if you want to vaccinate for it yearly :)