Titer Test Results

Guest Tess32

Thanks for that.Unfortunatley my dogs go to kennels a few times a year so have no option :( As my young dog recently had a bad vac reaction I was hopeing to titer test for everything.I've been told it is the kennel cough vac most dogs react to.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32
Thanks for that.Unfortunatley my dogs go to kennels a few times a year so have no option :( As my young dog recently had a bad vac reaction I was hopeing to titer test for everything.I've been told it is the kennel cough vac most dogs react to.

What KC vacc were you planning on using?

If you can get your vet to make a statement that it is unwise to revaccinate (given bad reaction), and pass this on to the kennels, they MAY allow your dog but may have some different care setups for unvaccinated dogs.

At my boarding kennels, we sometimes have people make bookings but have insufficent vaccinations. These dogs are then put in a building about 500ms from the main kennel block and cared for there.

• 1 month later...

Got my results back today from Uni of Colorado....

Dog: Geordie

Breed: Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Vaccinations had: Puppy x 3; 15mth booster.

Titer result:

Distemper 1:32 = probable protective immunity.

Parvovirus 1:16384 = limited protective immunity.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

• 2 weeks later...

Got Darcy's Parvo and Distemper results back from the vet today! :laugh:

Dog: Darcy

Breed: Lab x Kelpie

Vaccinations had: C3 Protech Duromine at 7.5 weeks, 12 weeks and 12 months.

Titer result: Parvo >=1:80 and Distemper >=1:80

Still waiting on Adenovirus results.

Dog: Midge

Breed: Australian Shepherd

Vaccinations had: C5 12 months (can't find what she had as a pup)

Titer result:

Parvo 5/6 (high immunity)

Distemper 4/6 (sufficient immunity)

Hepatitis 4/6 (sufficient immunity)

ETA The price was $65 (titer test + annual check up)

Edited by laffi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tess32
Hi, Would people mind posting what they paid for the test please as my vet said it is $300, this seems very expensive if it is to be done yearly.

They do not need to be done yearly unless you require it as paperwork. One titer test on an adult dog will show you if the dog is immune to X disease.

Antibody levels are not constant, they increase when the body perceives there is a threat.

$300 is a pretty excessive price though.

I'm about to get my 12yo girl tested. She hasn't been vaccinated for 11yrs and has been fed a raw diet for the last 8yrs or so. Also my 7yo lad, he hasn't been vaccinated since a pup, either.

Very interested to see the results! :laugh:

Hi, Would people mind posting what they paid for the test please as my vet said it is $300, this seems very expensive if it is to be done yearly.

They do not need to be done yearly unless you require it as paperwork. One titer test on an adult dog will show you if the dog is immune to X disease.

Antibody levels are not constant, they increase when the body perceives there is a threat.

$300 is a pretty excessive price though.

so do you have to have separte tests done for parvo, hep and distemper?

I had one blood sample taken which was sent off to Gribbles in Melbourne, the Parvo and the Distemper were done at Vetpath WA and the Hep was done in the UK. But yes they are 3 separate tests.

I had one blood sample taken which was sent off to Gribbles in Melbourne, the Parvo and the Distemper were done at Vetpath WA and the Hep was done in the UK. But yes they are 3 separate tests.

so which blood sample did gribbles test?

None - they just handle them and organise for them to be sent where they needed to go along with the other samples. They have samples head to Vetpath twice a week, I think it was Tuesdays and Fridays from memory.

Dog: Midge

Breed: Australian Shepherd

Vaccinations had: C5 12 months (can't find what she had as a pup)

Titer result:

Parvo 5/6 (high immunity)

Distemper 4/6 (sufficient immunity)

Hepatitis 4/6 (sufficient immunity)

ETA The price was $65 (titer test + annual check up)

Laffi,

Where did your bloods go to be tested? Was it Vetpath?

$65.00 seems really cheap

German Shorthaired PointerX - 3 years old

Shelter Dog - I got her at 6 months -

Puppy vacc unknown

C5 at shelter at 6 months

C5 yearly after that

Titer Results received yesterday for Parvo and Distemper

Parvo 1:80

Distemper 1:80

Still waiting on Hepatitis as sent to UK and takes longer.

Cost for 3 tests Just over $200.00

So far no need to vaccinate YAY!!!

Can anyone recommend any vets in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne that does titer testing?

I have just received my THIRD reminder card for Rosie to get her C5 done which was

due end of May and I have let it lapse as we arent involved with clubs or boarding kennels

at this time.

Also if anyone has some info I can print out and send to my vet I am going to send

the reminder cards back to him with the info :)

I had Scoota and Lexi titre tested on Saturday and got the results for Scoots tonight. Have to say I got dogs done earlier in the year and it was $88 - this time I was charged $118 each dog :banghead:

Scoota was vaccinated at 8 and 16 weeks with C3, he is currently 4 1/2 years old. He was last titred for Parvo and Distemper 2 1/2 years ago where both results were >80. This time the results were once again >80 for both Parvo and Distemper.

Lexi's results will hopefully come back tomorrow.

Very interested in these results. Top is due to be done next Monday. He would have to have a BIII as we do agility but I may ask my vet about titre testing.

Darcy has been done for this year. Would him having parvo as a pup affect his results? Ie. Would he have immunity for life as hes already had the disease?