Titer Test Results

Guest Tess32

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found this - dont know how many people are still interested, but its encouraging to see more people questioning vaccinating!

Name: Zola

Breed: Rhodesian Ridgeback

Vaccs had: C3 @ 6wks,C5 @ 12 & 16wks, Fortdogde C4 & KC booster @15months

Titer Test: done @ 2 yo. Parvo & Distemper 1:80,

Adenovirus (Hep?? the one that has to go to Scotland) 226

Hopefully I wont have to vaccinate Zola again as she suffers with tummy probs, food intolerances!

Wandy the Kelpie however is as fit as a mallee bull - no unusual food related, skin or other probs. She is six and has been fully vaccinated so far. Next year I will get her titer tested though. No sense in continuing with something not needed!!

Rat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm looking for some help re documentation.

I've had my 2 tested (both 1:80 fro Parvo and Dist). I now have to give my vet a letter to sign so I can give it to my club. I only had them checked for P and D and not for Hep.

Does anyone have a sample letter I could use that would satisfy the committee?

I know they're going to question the Hep. I read in something or other from Dr Dodds that if there's immunity for 2 things, there's no point testing for others. Considering my dogs have been vaccinated for all 3 for their entire lives I couldn't see the point doing it but how do I explain that to my club when they're not entirely convinced about the whole thing.

If they don't accept my results I'll look for another club to join but I might come up against the same problem.

I know they're going to question the Hep. I read in something or other from Dr Dodds that if there's immunity for 2 things, there's no point testing for others. Considering my dogs have been vaccinated for all 3 for their entire lives I couldn't see the point doing it but how do I explain that to my club when they're not entirely convinced about the whole thing.

If they don't accept my results I'll look for another club to join but I might come up against the same problem.

I opted not to titre test for hep as my vet said there have been no cases of hepatitis for years in WA. Also you cannot get a hepatitis only vaccination - so if the titre was low and the others were high I wouldn't be vaccinating anyway.

How fantastic that titre testing is becoming more well known and accepted here in Oz! I think that we are waaaay over-medicating our pets, especially with vaccinations. So difficult if you want to do training or board your dog though.

I'm about to get my 12yo girl tested. She hasn't been vaccinated for 11yrs and has been fed a raw diet for the last 8yrs or so. Also my 7yo lad, he hasn't been vaccinated since a pup, either.

Very interested to see the results! :confused:

Prodigybxr, I may have missed it.. what were the results? My Sarge hasn't (to my knowledge) been vaccinated since he was a pup. He's 9, and I've had him since April. I'd love to have him tested. Madeline is 3 and was done in Feb when I got her because I wanted to take her to obedience classes.

I'd be really interested to see their results. I'd much rather titer than vaccinate any day :)

• 2 months later...

I have a new puppy who was vaccinated at 6 1/2 weeks with a C5 :D

At 11 1/2 weeks I had blood pulled for titres (Parvo and distemper) which cost me $66 - I was amazed at how cheap it was.

The result came back as:

Parvo 1:20

Distemper >80

I had Scoota and Lexi titre tested on Saturday and got the results for Scoots tonight. Have to say I got dogs done earlier in the year and it was $88 - this time I was charged $118 each dog :laugh:

Scoota was vaccinated at 8 and 16 weeks with C3, he is currently 4 1/2 years old. He was last titred for Parvo and Distemper 2 1/2 years ago where both results were >80. This time the results were once again >80 for both Parvo and Distemper.

Lexi's results will hopefully come back tomorrow.

Vetpath has just recently had a price increase (they do so every end of financial year). So that sounds about right.

I have a new puppy who was vaccinated at 6 1/2 weeks with a C5 :laugh:

At 11 1/2 weeks I had blood pulled for titres (Parvo and distemper) which cost me $66 - I was amazed at how cheap it was.

The result came back as:

Parvo 1:20

Distemper >80

Yes that is very cheap. The test we use (which is the most accurate) is around $80 or so cost price.

Wow that is cheap!

What do you do now? Do you revaccinate because the Parvo levels are low? Is there a Parvo only vaccine?

Yes there is a parvo only vaccine and

Dogs with a titre of 1:20 or greater are considered protected and may not

need revaccination. These dogs should have their titre rechecked in

approximately one year.

The vet practice charged me the lab costs only - a vet nurse took the blood as I didn't want a vet consult.

Edited by Ptolomy

aaaarghhh so confused. I spoke to my vet today about vaccinating/titre tests etc they can do the three-yearly one, and can also titre test. She said that because I am a foster carer my dogs are at high risk so should be vaccinated, which is fair enough. But when we talked about the titre testing she said that they could be tested and show that they were fine, but that their immunity could drop off at any time so if i didn't vaccinate i wouldn't know if they were immune or not at any given time after the titre test :laugh:

Hi, Would people mind posting what they paid for the test please as my vet said it is $300, this seems very expensive if it is to be done yearly.

It cost me $246 - that included $56 for the consultation.

Name: Ellie

Breed: Labrador

Vaccinated: Puppy shots plus booster at 15 months

Current Age: 2-3/4 yrs

Titre Results: Parvo >= 1:80, Distemper < 1:5

Because she came back with below optimal for Distemper the recommendation was to have her revaccinated and test again a month later. I have had her revaccinated but am hesitant to do the titre test again at $246. After all, she will either be covered by the new vaccination or not. If she's not covered straight after vaccinating then she probably never will be no matter how often she's vaccinated.

If anyone can give me a reason I should spend the money on the new titre test please let me know because right now I'm not planning to.