Whole Dog Journal..best And Worst Dog Food

panda

This is a list complied by the Whole Dog Journal

It then comes down to which food off of the good list works well for your particular dog

Best Dry Dog Food:

DRY FOODS:

Addiction Foods

Artemis

Azmira

Back to Basics

Bench & Field Holistic Natural Canine

Blue Buffalo

Burns

By Nature BrightLife

By Nature Organics

California Natural

Canidae

Canine Caviar

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul

Cloud Star Kibble

Drs. Foster & Smith

Eagle Pack Holistic Select

Evangers Super Premium

Evolve

Firstmate Dog Food

Foundations (Petcurean)

Fromm Four Star Nutritionals

Go! Natural (Petcurean)

Hund-N-Flocken (Solid Gold)

Innova

Innova EVO

Karma Organic

Lick Your Chops

Life4K9

Lifespan (Petguard)

Merrick Pet Care

Mmillennia (Solid Gold)

Natural Balance Organic

Natural Balance Ultra Premium

Newmans Own Organics

NutriSource

Organix (Castor & Pollux)

Petguard Organic

Performatrin Ultra

PHD Viand

Pinnacle

Prairie (Nature's Variety)

Premium Edge

Prime Life Plus

Raw Instinct (Nature's Variety)

Royal Canin Natural Blend

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Potato and Rabbit

Showbound Naturals

Timberwolf Organics

Ultra Holistic (Nutro)

VeRUS

Wellness

Wenaewe

Wysong

Zinpro

Worst Dry Dog Foods:

Beneful

Cycle Adult

Dad's Bite Sized Meal

Diamond Premium Adult Formula

Excel Lamb Meal & Rice

Gravy Train

Happy Tails

HiPro Dog Food

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice

Kibbles & Bits Homestyle Chicken & Vegetable

Max Adult (Nutro)

Maxximum Nutrition

Natural Choice Adult Lamb & Rice (Nutro)

Nature's Recipie "Breed Specific"

Nutra Nuggets Adult Maintenance

Ol' Roy

Pedigree

Purina Dog Chow

Purina One Total Nutrition

Science Diet Adult

Science Diet "Nature's Best With Real Beef..."

Best Canned Dog Foods:

WET/CANNED FOODS:

Addiction Foods

Advanced Pet Diets

Artemis

Avo-Derm

Azmira

Blue Buffalo

By Nature Organics

California Natural

Canidae

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul

Drs. Foster & Smith

Eagle Pack Holistic Select

EntrÃe for Dogs (Three Dog Bakery)

Evangers For Dogs

Evolve www.evolvepet.com

Fromm Four Star Nutritionals

Innova

Innova EVO

Lamaderm

Lick Your Chops

Merrick

Natural Balance

Natural Life

Neura Meats (Old Mother Hubbard)

Newmans Own Organics

Nutro Natural Choice

Organix (Castor & Pollux)

Performatrin Ultra

Petguard Organic

Pet Promise

Pinnacle

Prairie (Nature's Variety)

Precise Plus

Sensible Choice

Showbound Naturals

Solid Gold

Spots Stew

Triumph

VeRUS

Wellness

Worst Canned Dog Foods:

Iams

Eukanuba

Ol' Roy

Pedigree

Science Diet

Edited by panda

Artemis Pet Food Company, Inc. is a manufacturer and supplier of holistic pet foods. Established in 1998, and based in North Hollywood, California on the premise that an animal's health starts with its diet.

This dog food has been on 'The Whole Dog Journal's' (American) recommended and approved dry dog food list for several years.

I'm waiting on Artemis Fresh Mix Adult sample.I should get it tomorrow - 23% Protein. 14% Fat. No corn, no wheat, no beet pulp.

This formula is especially for medium and large breed adults of normal activity levels. My dog is in between small to medium size, he's about 11.5kg.

Another formula is Fresh Mix Maximal Dog GRAIN FREE 42% Protein 22% Fat. It's too high in protein as my dog is not all that active.

The following I copied from a website;

All Artemis dog food is made with hormone free human grade protein selected from FDA approved plants. All natural Artemis food does not contain any chemicals, preservatives, artificial additives or by products. Its nutrient profile and palatability is superior. There is no hidden secret they simply use the highest quality ingredients in optimal proportions.

-Seven protein sources, fresh chicken and turkey as well as chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, fish meal and eggs provide the complete amino acid profile.

-Fresh fruits and vegetables potatoes, carrots, peas, apples and cranberries replace hard to digest grains and add natural vitamins and minerals.

-Select herbs promote wellness, reduce body and waste odor and aid the gastrointestinal tract to absorb the nutrients.

-Custom vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes and balanced levels of omega 3 and 6 make nutrients more bio-available and are essential for overall health.

-The following ten skin and coat conditioners are contained in Artemis dog food, chicken fat, fish meal, flaxseed, canola oil, lecithin, kelp, rosemary extract, sage, vitamin E, and biotin.

Edited by panda

Thanks Panda for the info where would one get a sample from? I shall google them and see what it shows :-)

I sent an e-mail to http://k9katzkitchen.com.au/store/index.php I put in a request for a sample.They are located in Melbourne. Delivery to Sydney is only $6.95 for a 6.8kg bag. I'm going to give it a go if my dog likes the sample. I'll still feed him ZiwiPeak for breakfast though. He really loves that stuff.

Edited by panda

Orijen and Artemis are quite high in protein.

And i am not sure that i agree with those lists either

OK, there has been heaps of discussion about proteins and dogs diet. The issue arose when the researchers realized that high protein diet caused a lot of health problems with dogs. People understood it as such and decided to keep the protein content low (lower than 30%). What they didn't understand that in these studies the main (80%) protein source was grains. Dogs are having hard time digesting these. So by feeding them heaps of grains they just amplified all the bad effects of feeding grains.

Now if you feed your dogs just meat you will have no such ill effects but some people just don't want to take it as an argument.

Btw if you are on a pray model diet (raw diet) the protein content is very high as well. It's not a bad thing!

In all the grainless foods meat is at least 70% that's why the protein content is so high.

Also have a look at this:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/protein.html

Orijen and Artemis are quite high in protein.

And i am not sure that i agree with those lists either

Artemis also have a full range of puppy, adult, senior and diet foods for different size breeds that do have a lot less protein.

Artemis Fresh Mix Adult contain 23% protein which is around the same as Eagle Pack Holistic, Innova, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance etc...

I got the information from searching and that's how they listed so I wanted to share with members here. You can skip those foods that are unavailable in Australia if they are not of your concern

Edited by panda

I think the list posted here may be a bit outdated or a combination of a few years worth. Whole Dog Journal do a review every year and the latest one was done in Feb 2008. Nutro Ultra is on this years list - we don't get that here. The March issue just out also lists the best grain free diets - Orijen and Artemis are on this list. To understand the criteria you would have to subscribe as I am worried about copyright... It's a great publication though for anyone who is interested. They also do a review of the best canned foods which will be later in the year. :thumbsup:

So if I want to find out the criteria used in making these decisions I have to subsrcibe and PAY a fee in order to obtain the information :thumbsup:

No doubt there are others who would be interested as well who do not wish to subscribe.

Perhaps Panda if you already subscribe you can post the criteria here for any one's benefit.

tpl, as mentioned there are a lot of products listed that are not available here.

Panda dont see any point is just skipping those that are unavail. here, why dont you do some research on those products that are avail here and just list those?.