Whole Dog Journal..best And Worst Dog Food

panda

No, not really Panda.

Yes its easy to cut and paste, any one can do that. :thumbsup:

My point is why post information that is not applicable here in Australia, there are many more forum members who are resident here than in the US.

The question still arises, what are the criteria used to make any one particular dog food WORST DOG FOOD/ BEST DOG FOOD?

Hesapandabear

It appears to me that you want to make this a big deal. You are right, there is no point why I post those brands that are not available in Australia. As I already gave you my honest answer that I copied from what I found which also listed what's available in Australia. That whole list came from the Whole Dog Journal. I apologise for not making it easier, but there's no need to bash me about this. I hope you are not upset and taking it out on me, because what you feed your dog rate as a 2 star according to http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_re...=1&si=nutro and worst Dry Dog Foods according to Whole Dog Journal.

Regarding the criteria, Tpl has already answered that "To understand the criteria you would have to subscribe" which I'm not. The information I posted WORST DOG FOOD/ BEST DOG FOOD came from the Whole Dog Journal. If you need further information please subscribe.

It is clear to me that you are upset no matter what I have to say (which is hardly). I see no point in responding to you any further.

I'd be interested to see a list as to which foods dogs actually DO BEST on...

I have tried a few different foods that would be in the category of 'the best' and my dogs did poorly on them and better on foods that are in 'the worst'. Every dog is different and while they might have the best quality meats and veges, doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be the best foods...

Be interesting to compare the list to the list of advertisers in Whole Dog Journal.

Whole Dog Journal don't accept any advertising so it enables them to be unbiased and independent. This is why they have to charge their subscribers.

Orijen and Artemis are quite high in protein.

And i am not sure that i agree with those lists either

Artemis also have a full range of puppy, adult, senior and diet foods for different size breeds that do have a lot less protein.

Artemis Fresh Mix Adult contain 23% protein which is around the same as Eagle Pack Holistic, Innova, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance etc...

The food aimed at my medium to large breed pup is 43%. Too much protein.

Twice as much as Nutro or EP

Personally i think that the BEST food is what your dog does best on, theworst what it does not do well on

I also think that there is no relevance in tellingus that X food is the best when it is not available here

I wont pay $10 to find out that the foodi am feeding my dog is considered BAD when they doamazing on it.

Nutro is not in the same class as Pal,makesme laugh to think it is being comparedtopal.

That is like saying eye fillet steak is the same as a rump

Artemis also have a full range of puppy, adult, senior and diet foods for different size breeds that do have a lot less protein.

Artemis Fresh Mix Adult contain 23% protein which is around the same as Eagle Pack Holistic, Innova, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance etc...

Personally i think that the BEST food is what your dog does best on, theworst what it does not do well on

I also think that there is no relevance in tellingus that X food is the best when it is not available here

I wont pay $10 to find out that the foodi am feeding my dog is considered BAD when they doamazing on it.

Nutro is not in the same class as Pal,makesme laugh to think it is being comparedtopal.

:rolleyes:

Artemis Med - Lg Puppy:

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 27%

Crude Fat (min) 15%

Moisture (max) 10%

Crude Fiber (max) 3%

Calcium 1.0%

Phosphorus, min. 0.8%

Sodium, min. 0.27%

Zinc, min. 200 mg/kg

Selenium, min. 0.40 mg/kg

Vitamin A, min. 22,000 IU/kg

Vitamin D, min. 1,000 IU/kg

Vitamin E, min. 300 IU/kg

Omega 6, Fatta Acid, min. 2.6%

Omega 3, Fatty Acid, min. 0.4%

:rolleyes:

Artemis Med - Lg Puppy:

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 27%

Crude Fat (min) 15%

Moisture (max) 10%

Crude Fiber (max) 3%

Calcium 1.0%

Phosphorus, min. 0.8%

Sodium, min. 0.27%

Zinc, min. 200 mg/kg

Omega 6, Fatta Acid, min. 2.6%

Can I please just amend this a little. The USA website which I am sure you got these figures from is waiting to be updated. But thank you Stormie for pointing out that Artemis dont just have the high protein "grain free foods" It seems to me some people may think that ALL Artemis is HIGH protein whereas this is not the case, its only the GRAIN FREE that is the high protein content.

Artemis Med - Lg Puppy:

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 27%

Crude Fat (min) 13%

Moisture (max) 10%

Crude Fiber (max) 3%

Calcium 1.5%

Phosphorus, min. 1.1%

Sodium, min. 0.2%

Zinc, min. 200 mg/kg

Omega 6, Fatta Acid, min. 2.5%

I would ask that everyone also take this example into consideration when worrying that "type B foods contain a lot higher protein than type A foods."

Food A contains 23% protein & 12% fat.

Food B contains 27% protein & 13% fat.

To keep your puppy in an ideal weight range you need to feed 3 cups of type A food a day, however because of the higher protein & fat you only need to feed 2.5 cups of type B food to keep the puppy in the same condition.

A cup weighs approx 100g in both "Holistic Foods" so lets anaylize what the puppy is ACTUALLY consuming each day.

Type A food - The LOWER protein = 300g x 23% = 69g protein ...... Fat 300g x 12% = 36g fat.

Type B food - the HIGHER protein = 250g x 27% = 67.5g protein......Fat 250g x 13% = 32.5g fat.

I would hope that this proves that we need to look further than the percentages of what is actually listed on the bags and to take into account what we actually need to feed of each type of food. This is emphasized even more with the ADULT foods that many advocate for large /giant breed puppies.

Adult food Type C contains 20% protein & 9% fat and yet to keep condition on your pup you need to feed 350 g per day. Your pup is getting 70g protein per day and 31.5g fat per day.

Food for thought?