Heated Swimming Pools

Alison

I am going to take my pup to one of the pools in South East Vic. I have found 3 and was wondering what everyone thinks of them and where do you take your dogs?

1. Dogs In Motion, Doveton

2. Devon Meadows Heated Dog Pool

3. Diamonds Kennels

I am not using it for rehabilitation, just for exercise and to build chest muscles.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been to both Devon Meadows and Dogs in Motion. I prefer Devon Meadows for my dogs. Firstly its cheaper, don't have to book appointments, can stay as long as you want (which i need with mine, as 1 drinks the water and needs to get out after 2 laps). The pool is also curvy, so works both sides of the body.

Dogs In Motion is great, don't get me wrong. I just find Devon Meadows more suitable for my needs.

Hers a pic of my girl that is 26 months old she swims 3 times week for the last 2 months at Devon Meadows, if that aint a built up chest I go he. I have to be careful now as to not overload her in front but she is in great shape front and rear as Kevin Kelly told me today when I had her checked over "my god I have never felt a bitch with such muscle" I recommend swimming for all dogs no matter where you want to go.

post-2731-1204110370_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dellahar

Is all that bulk from swimming, alone?

Imme is a very substantial bitch but the swimming has tightened her up plus a good diet, some people say to me she is fat but there is not one ounce of fat on her its all muscle she is tight as a drum and this has come from swimming. Swimmining is the best excersize as it does not put stress on the dogs joints and builds muscle.

does anyone know if there are others in vic?

maybe around geelong??

i'm in ballarat so the closer the better

Hi FBC

there is one at Diggers rest,

and the only other one I know of is at Mornington

We go every week to Dogs in motion, everyone is lovely and the pool is so clean

BTW the one at Diamonds has been closed permanately since October

Hi I have been working at Devon Meadows pool on Tues & Weds for 2 months now and it has been cleaned up I take my dogs to work with me and have had no problems, yes it is clean.

Thank you very much

Hers a pic of my girl that is 26 months old she swims 3 times week for the last 2 months at Devon Meadows, if that aint a built up chest I go he.

That's great, I am going to start swimming for that exact reason. I need to build up Byron's chest muscles.

the only other one I know of is at Mornington

Where abouts is the Mornington one? Do you know what it is called?

Hi I have been working at Devon Meadows pool on Tues & Weds for 2 months now and it has been cleaned up I take my dogs to work with me and have had no problems, yes it is clean.

Thank you very much

Hers a pic of my girl that is 26 months old she swims 3 times week for the last 2 months at Devon Meadows, if that aint a built up chest I go he.

That's great, I am going to start swimming for that exact reason. I need to build up Byron's chest muscles.

the only other one I know of is at Mornington

Where abouts is the Mornington one? Do you know what it is called?

It's called Aqua paws, I think it's closer to Frankston, there's a link on here, on the advertisers page

I have never been there, have just seen the link

My guys have enjoyed swimming at both Dogs in Motion and Devon Meadows, when we've been over on the mainland. As was said, Devon Meadows has a couple of advantages - the dogs are swimming at human waist level, so it's a bit easier on their necks, I feel, and more importantly, they're working both sides of their bodies.

The one at Diggers Rest might be closer for you. I was lucky enough to go there with a DOL group last Christmas. Really super facility - and again, dogs are swimming at waist level. Here's the link Kepala. It's just off the Calder Freeway, near the Calder Raceway.

It's called Aqua paws, I think it's closer to Frankston, there's a link on here, on the advertisers page

I have never been there, have just seen the link

Thanks for that Taters, I tried Aqua Paws yesterday arvo. Byron went on the underwater treadmill. It's great watching them through the glass.

I will try some of the other pools soon too!

Thanks everyone.

If you are specificly trying to build muscle you will have much faster results using an underwater treadmill. We have rehabed many dogs using our underwater treadmill and the rate of muscle strength and growth is far more superior to swimming because the dogs are in a weightbearing postion and loading the muscles.

If you are specificly trying to build muscle you will have much faster results using an underwater treadmill. We have rehabed many dogs using our underwater treadmill and the rate of muscle strength and growth is far more superior to swimming because the dogs are in a weightbearing postion and loading the muscles.

Kim, I am trying to avoid weight loss, if I was to put a life jacket on him and put him in the pool, would that help? He is a 6 month old puppy, so I don't want to build up too much muscle, expecially considering his growth plates are still very open.

Edited by Alison

By puting a bouyancy vest on him you will make it easier therefor he will not have to swim as hard. Swimming is a cardio exercise for dogs so i would adjust his diet accordingly the vest will make it less likely that you will get muscle growth though.