Cant Wait?

MegYL

BC: Thanks! Yeah, I meant that since I'm gone, there'll still be time to train the yorkie. I'll look into the obedience class, because I'm sure there are classes that I dunno about, and my friend's would gladly join me. LOL.

storm: Yeah, they're pretty tiny. And fiesty. I've been around yorkies my whole life, really, and I'm still going to treat the yorkie the same as every other dog. When the yorkie does something bad I will correct them, and I wont let them get away with something because of their size. Thanks!

settrlvr: I don't think the tail thing would be a problem around our house. My schipperke has no tail at all, (a very tiny stub. it's impossible to wag. so, really, no tail.) and my Poodle is always asleep and isn't very strong, even with the tail since she is 16 years old and very fragile herself. Thanks.

GayleK: You can even train it in your bedroom? I didn't know that... [: Shows you how much I know on obedience training. Yeah, I kinda guessed that once you were buddies and all, the training would be more easy and natural and the dog would listen better.

Do you guys know any verry cute girl Yorkie (or any other type of dog) names?

I never pick a name until i have spent a few days with the dog,for me there is no rush when it comes to having that name for the next 15 yrs.

Many go by latest fads

Country of origin

part of its showname registered name.

I like short names that are easy for the dog to hear

Oh oh! I know that feeling! I had to wait 5 months until my baby was even born. The original mother-to-be had a phantom pregnancy. a big whopping half a months pay. But its worth the wait.

Dont forget to take heaps of pictures when its still young, cause they dont stay that size forever!

settrlvr: yeah, i'm going to get a couple ideas first, then when I see her I'll make the final decision. For boy, Toby. For girl, Blaire. Hm... I like the names short, too, because they do seem easier for the dog to learn and seem cuter. Like Apple, Toby, Max, Ted, Lady, so on. Heehee.

Jax: don't worry, i'm going to be OBSESSED with taking so many pictures. and when i get the pics, i'll be SURE to post them on here to let the world see. gosh! 5 months! very long time, no? well, how did you make it go by faster? I want to know your secrets! lol :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comment(s), guys. Keep 'em coming! :laugh:

I'm still a little angry it's going by so slow. It's SORT OF sped up, so that's kind of good. But not fast enough, for my liking...

and I did all the research possible. And I'm still playing with my two dogs already, even more than before.

What bothers me though is I was told by several people my three dogs would be getting in fights, all the time, if I got another girl dog ( that would make it 3 ) and they advised for me to get a boy. My mom told me I couldn't get a boy :thumbsup: and said their "privates hung out" and hiked up their leg. I know a solution for no hiking leg, by fixing it at young age but we decided to let it have puppies probably. :D

So... ?? What do I do!?

Whatever you get, you should have it desexed and tell your mother to leave breeding to the professionals.

Their privates only stick out if you leave them in. 6 months is plenty old enough to be castrated and he wont cock his leg if your other dogs are desexed as well. Or does your mum plan on letting them have litters too?

3 bitches is a bad idea, a male would be better.

Whatever you get, you should have it desexed and tell your mother to leave breeding to the professionals.

Their privates only stick out if you leave them in. 6 months is plenty old enough to be castrated and he wont cock his leg if your other dogs are desexed as well. Or does your mum plan on letting them have litters too?

3 bitches is a bad idea, a male would be better.

Nekhbet, from what I know of Meg I'm pretty sure her other 2 dogs are fairly old, I think one of them ia ateast 16, so I doubt they will be breeding from them.

Meg I do agree that you should leave dog breeding up to the professional registered breeders, Has your mum & your Aunt made an arrangement, for your Aunt to use your puppy for breeding when it has grown up? Or maybe you are thinking of showing him/her? If any of these reasons are the case, then I understand why you might not want to fix your puppy. :D

Its just that here in Australia, & especially here on DOL we are very much against back yard breeders because we have so many sick & unwanted dogs being PTS every year.

I don't know if you have the same problems in the USA,but it is a very big issue here.

As you know already I have already advised you on getting a male, as 3 females might fight alot. Sounds like you haven't been able to confince your mum yet :love:

Tell her that male dogs can be trained not to lift their leg inside the house. My Bailey is a male that hasn't been fixed & I've trained him out of doing this.

Another thing Meg is what's going to happen if your Aunt's dog only has male puppies, is your mum still going to let you have one :eek:

Its just that here in Australia, & especially here on DOL we are very much against back yard breeders because we have so many sick & unwanted dogs being put to sleep (PTS) every year.

I don't know if you have the same problems in the USA,but it is a very big issue here.

In USA the problem is as serious as it is in Australia, if not worse. I lived in US for 6 years.

Meg, please ask your auntie if she is a registered breeder and if her dogs had health checks (the dogs that she is breeding). There are people who know about breeding (the professionals) and these should be the only people who breed dogs. There are far too many dying every year because some families think it's cute to have a litter of puppies.

Don't get discouraged. We just want to help you get the perfect pup!

Nekhbet: Yeah, I don't know. I don't seriously think we're going through with the whole breeding thing. What do you mean? you can have an operation or something for their privates not to hang ? as you can tell, i'm completely clue - less when it comes to boy dogs. My other two girlies are fixed, and one is 16 and the other about 6, soo even if they weren't fixed they wouldn't be having puppies in the future. LOL thank you!

baileys mum: I honestly have no idea if she is registered, the male yorkie's owners may be, but I don't think so for my aunt. I did have my mom convinced, I'm pretty sure. Then all of a sudden she was convinced it was an absolute no. Yes, if there are only boys, I'm still going to get one. So I'm rooting for all boys! LOL. You dont know how many times I've told her they can be trained not to, and how everyone on here tells me it should be a boy! And she won't listen. ? Thanks!

laffi: OK, I'll look into her being a registered breeder. I know there are so many dogs abandoned, I want to adopt so very badly, but my aunt is going to breed anyway. It's like a "we dont care if your not going to get one of the puppies, we're breeding anyway!" type of situation. So, I might as well get one, you know? But trust me, in the future I'm going to adopt tons of dogs from shelters. For now, though.... ( PS they wouldnt die, she's going to find suitable homes. ) thank you!!!!

Okay, so bottom line, I need to do some MAJOR convincing with the whole "lemme get a boy" thing.

Any ideas that will snap her in ? I really want a boy....

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

My mom first of all, said Aunt has the papers and will register when the time comes, when we're ready to have them. And Aunt isn't selling them, she's giving them to her family ( our family ). Yeah,...

And!! My mom told me, that "we'll see" if I could get a boy. And I said, "What if there's a boy and a girl and I like the boy better?" then she told me "we would see" and that's a yes!!! But she said not to make up my mind whether or not I wanted a boy or girl. I so want a boy, and I'm pretty sure I convinced her.

I'm gonna get a boy, happy dance happy dance...

LOL sorry. I just am soo happy! :love:

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

My mom first of all, said Aunt has the papers and will register when the time comes, when we're ready to have them. And Aunt isn't selling them, she's giving them to her family ( our family ). Yeah,...

And!! My mom told me, that "we'll see" if I could get a boy. And I said, "What if there's a boy and a girl and I like the boy better?" then she told me "we would see" and that's a yes!!! But she said not to make up my mind whether or not I wanted a boy or girl. I so want a boy, and I'm pretty sure I convinced her.

I'm gonna get a boy, happy dance happy dance...

LOL sorry. I just am soo happy! :love:

Hi Meg, if your Aunt says she is going to register the pups she must be a registerd breeder :( I'm glad your mum has changed her mind about the sex, I think a male would fit in alot better in your family.Lets hope your Aunt's dog does actually have a boy now :eek: & hopefully your mum doesn't change her mind again.

I will say this to you again (I hope you don't think I'm nagging you ) but please get your puppy fixed at 6 months if you are not showing him, you don't wan't your Yorkie escaping & getting all the other little female dogs (that aren't fixed ) pregnant do you? :D

I don't think you're nagging! I asked my mom, "You dont REALLY want to breed our puppie, do you? Because we would just be adding to the list of dogs when there's so many in the kennel...." and she said, "True". So we ARE going to fix, and like everyone's been saying, it would help towards them not hiking their leg.

LOL well, all the girl dogs will looovee my baby boy. But he's going to be fixed.

so how's Bailey ? I still want to see pictures..... :mad

Ok: Do you, or anybody for that matter know how to train your boy not to hike up their leg?

yup, how did i make it go faster?

Well i worked hardcore to save up, then i spent a lot of money on buying things before my dog was even born. BTW i got a German Shepherd. So the 5 pretty collars, which consisted of glow in the dark gummi collars to pretty leather collars with jewels in them, didn't last long she out grew the collars each within about a week HAHA. Excited mummy.

I had 5 months to think about how to convince my parents to let me have another dog. And 5 months to figure out how to get my other dog, whom mind you, would want to kill a dog with passion. That was my fault for never socializing him properly (not really, I was 5 when I got him). But after a few months. Brief contact. He had to wear a cage muzzle the whole time. It all worked out perfectly and we no longer need to use the muzzle on the old boy.

Hope everything works out for you. :(

p.s: hiking.

I can hear my Boss' voice my head when my friends dog peed on her wall, "IF YOU LIFT YOUR LEG ONE MORE TIME YOUR GOING TO GET A BAMBOO STICK UP YOUR BEEEEPPPPPP" dont know if that will work but its worth the shot hahah

Edited by Jax

Most male puppies will not lift their legs, they actually squat like a girl to have a wee. Lifting their leg is something they learn as they get older. My boy did not do it until he was about 12 months old. I dont think you can train them to not lift their leg to wee, as this is what males do, but getting him desexed at 6 months, will reduce the need to mark everything with their scent, so less likely he will want to lift his leg on everything.

In regards to not weeing inside, as long as you toilet train your puppy, he will not lift his leg inside :(

Jax : Woah! You did have a long time, didn't you? Lol. Your precious little german shepherd ( well, big german shepherd ) sounds really cute. I have the same amount of time that you did, but my parents are already convinced and ALL I can do is wait. Tick tock tick tock LOL. So I guess i need to save up the money... and to waste the time, maybe I could earn the money? $$$ Ka ching lol. Sounds like a plan! Thank you!

BC : Yeah, all of my friend's boys squat, since when they see the other girls doing the same they will follow. I tried convincing my mom this, but she wasn't really believeable. . yeah, I figured if they were fixed at such a young age it wouldn't strike them so easily. And true, i'm going to potty train him of course, so he will only do it outside. And there's nothing out there my mom'll get mad for if he pees on it. Thank you!

now that i have pretty much everything covered, is there anything else I need to know?

Also what are some good places to shop for items for your doggie? I know these shops:

"Petunias ; PetSmart ; Walmart ; Target ; Local Pet Store ; Online Shopping"

Hi Meg, another important thing you might want to look into is worm & flea treatment. There is many different products on the market for this, so its worth looking into it to see what you prefer. :( I use a monthly spot treatment called Advocate (not to sure if you have this in the USA) but it does fleas, all intestinal worms except tapeworm, & also heartworm all in the one treatment. I use this because its convenient & I don't have to mess around with too many other products, except for the tapeworm treatment of course :(

Another thing is don't forget to buy LOTS of safe puppy toys for your pup! If your Yorkie becomes bored, it will more than likely start getting up to mischief & might start chewing up things around the house ( which I'm sure will make your mum Very very upset :laugh: ) You don't want your pup to end up having to live outside, do you?

Also make sure your pup is safe at all times & can't hurt itself in anyway,make sure it doesn't chew on electric wires,doesn't burn itself on hot ovens or open fires & watch what he chews up & swallows,you don't want him choking on anything, or need an operation to get something out of his stomach, thats blocking everything. Sorry to scare you like this :eek:, but these sort of things can happen & you need to be prepared.

I actually recommend on you getting something like a puppy playpen, as its somewhere you can safely contain him with his toys & his food & water & you know he can't get up to too much mischief,especially when you are busy with something & unable to watch him. His bed or crate can probably go in there too.

I actually bought one the other day for my new puppy, so that I'm well & truly prepared :)

I would also look into the right diet to feed your pup, there's lots of information on food & nutrition for puppy's & dogs here on DOL, so I recommend you do a search.

well that's all I can think of at the moment, if I think of anything else I will let you know :)

Oh yeah I forgot to add that its really up to you where you do your shopping for your dog, I buy of the internet sometimes, but I mostly buy out of a good pet supplies store (preferably one that doesn't sell puppy's as these puppy's usually come from puppy farms & back yard breeders :mad ) We don't have some of the stores that you mentioned like Walmart, but I do buy from K-mart sometimes if I see something I like :D

Thank you once again! You're a great help. My mom is going to work with the treatments, she knows more about those type of things than me. =]

Yeah, I was planning on getting tons of toys so when I'm at school the yorkie will have something to do, because I don't want the yorkie to get attached to my mom. I mean, they're still going to be friendly and you know socialized, but my mom won't be the official owner, if you know what I mean. Ohhh boy, my mom would get mad if he chewed the furniture up. She even gets mad when my poodle goes to the bathroom in our house!!! ( she's potty trained, BTW. but she's 16 which is 112 in human years, soo you cant really blame her especially when she's old, blind, and deaf! )

Anyways... hmm what was I saying....

oh yeah!!!

I know, no electrical chewing. Recently my friend's dog's mom just had Pomeranian puppies, and we got to play with the two and they were so precious! Anyway we were playing with them in the front yard and when we set them down they would go off to the bush and start chewing with the leafs, and I would pull her away but they said "it was ok" but I knew from all you guys that it wasn't, what if she choked you know she's only 8 weeks.

We're going to feed the dog Pedigrees, because we've always fed our dogs that.

Yeah, I dont shop from places like that... except for one of our Pet Stores with dogs in them. Only, it's like dogs that have no homes and breeders dont want them they sell the dogs there. And they have the certificates and health checks and all, and its safe. Don't worry, it's not one of those evil places from puppy mills. =]

I can't think of anything else either...............

hm. I guess I will eventually and will ask. =]