Titer Test In Brisbane?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For any question about something uncommon, I always ask the University of Qld Vet Clinic 3365 2110.

There was a past thread about a titer test. It stuck in my mind because I'd not heard of it before.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/lofiversion/in...hp/t127033.html

Thanks Mita :laugh: . I just called them. They don't do it often (ever :laugh: ) so they are going to find out about it and let me know.

Guest Tess32

The vets themselves don't do anything. They take the blood test and send it off to the lab in perth, they do the pathology work and then fax the vet the results. Results vary according to the lab - ours was sent to perth but the first one done by Gribbles here, and another somewhere else.

The vets themselves don't do anything. They take the blood test and send it off to the lab in perth, they do the pathology work and then fax the vet the results. Results vary according to the lab - ours was sent to perth but the first one done by Gribbles here, and another somewhere else.

Yes this is exactly what I was told by the only vet who knew what I was talking about :laugh: .

The rest of them said something along the lines : we have never done it and are not planning on doing it :laugh:

Edited by laffi

For any question about something uncommon, I always ask the University of Qld Vet Clinic 3365 2110.

There was a past thread about a titer test. It stuck in my mind because I'd not heard of it before.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/lofiversion/in...hp/t127033.html

Thanks Mita :laugh: . I just called them. They don't do it often (ever :mad ) so they are going to find out about it and let me know.

The UQ called me back :laugh: . Apparently they would have to send it to US :D because it's not done in Australia and it will be $500 :laugh: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! They said: "You should vaccinate. It will be so much easier." I tried to explain that there are labs in Australia doing the test, but was cut off and was told that it what "their procedure is to ship it to US".

Edited by laffi

Guest Tess32

Yep, I know what they are talking about.

I can't remember the name but the people who USED to do it here, now only have a lab in the US and they take 4 weeks to come back.

Tell whichever vet you choose to ring Vetpath in WA. THEY do the titer test results in Australia. If that fails, tell them to ring my vet in Melbourne as a last resort - he JUST did my test!

I can't remember the name but the people who USED to do it here, now only have a lab in the US and they take 4 weeks to come back.

Tell whichever vet you choose to ring Vetpath in WA. THEY do the titer test results in Australia. If that fails, tell them to ring my vet in Melbourne as a last resort - he JUST did my test!

Thank you so much Tess32 :laugh: .

I will continue my quest :laugh:

Guest Tess32

Keep going, it is worth it :laugh: I am so angry that so many vets are ignorant about this and it won't change until people start demanding it :laugh:

My pup had no need to be revaccinated so if I hadn't titer tested I would have been compromising his immune system for no reason at all.

The vets at the Uni wouldn't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want people to vaccinate every year and get their money.

The tests are done in Aust. in WA.

You could always try Tim Rush at Yamanto Vet Surgery on 3288 0466.

Explain he only has to draw the blood. He may only have to send it to his normal lab and they send it onto WA for titre testing for anti bodies, if thats what your testing for.

Keep going, it is worth it :mad I am so angry that so many vets are ignorant about this and it won't change until people start demanding it :laugh:

My pup had no need to be revaccinated so if I hadn't titer tested I would have been compromising his immune system for no reason at all.

I will definitely keep on going :D

I just can't believe how hard it is :laugh:

Tess32 can I ask how much the test was to have done here in Oz

The vets at the Uni wouldn't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want people to vaccinate every year and get their money.

The tests are done in Aust. in WA.

You could always try Tim Rush at Yamanto Vet Surgery on 3288 0466.

Explain he only has to draw the blood. He may only have to send it to his normal lab and they send it onto WA for titre testing for anti bodies, if thats what your testing for.

Thanks heaps oakway. :laugh:

I am supposed to call my vet around 4PM to see what they found out. I will let them know how to proceed if they also advise me to go through the US lab.

Hi,

I rang Yamanto so they should be prepared if want to give them a call. I asked about sending it to their lab to see if that lab would send it on.

Thank you so much :laugh::laugh: .

I will definitely call them is my usual vet can't help me.

this is from the Vetpath website

Test Detail

Test: Assessment of Vaccination Status - Canine Distemper Virus & Parvovirus Ab Titres by IFA

Suitable Sample:

PC

Unsuitable Sample:

EDTA

LH

Minimum Sample Size:

1 mL whole blood

Turnaround Time:

Both CDV and CPV IFA tites are run on Tuesday and Friday

Results the same day

Request/Test Included in:

Combined CDV & CPV IFA titres

The tests can also be requested individually

Comments:

Canine Parvovirus (CPV) and Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) are serious viral pathogens in dogs that have been very well controlled with the use of vaccinations. Annual revaccination of dogs has been an industry norm that is being challenged due to increasing proof that protective immunity lasts for longer than one year (and often longer than 4 years) and the knowledge that vaccinations may in some cases have detrimental side effects ranging from anaphylaxis to immune-mediated disease.

Rather than merely stopping annual vaccination, dogs may have their immune status assessed to determine whether vaccination is indicated or not. This is particularly pertinent in at risk animals. Serological titre tests have been designed to measure the IgG levels and studies have shown that protection from infection can be determined with these tests.Further studies have shown that the IFA method is comparable to the gold standard haemagglutination test for CPV and the virus neutralisation test for CDV.

INTERPRETATION:

Titres of less than 1:5 are considered seronegative and (re) vaccination is recommended.

Titres of >1:5 are considered seropositive.

Titres of >1:5 but <1:20 indicate that revaccination should be considered, especially if disease exposure risk is increased.

Dogs with titres of >1:20 probably do not require revaccination.

Date Updated 19 November 2004

Abbreviations:

PC = plain clotted sample (serum) tube

EDTA = potassium EDTA tube

LH = lithium heparin tube

FL = fluoride EDTA tube

CIT = trisodium citrate tube

N/A = not applicable/available

not sure if it helps at all but maybe pass onto vet and they should be able to work it out from there