Titer Test In Brisbane?

Laffi for what its worth Ness has only ever been C3/C4 vaccinated. C3 as a pup and C4 as an adult and has been around lots of dogs who have ended up with Kennel Cough and never caught it. Definitely wouldn't need a C5 unless you plan on boarding your dogs in the near future.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laffi for what its worth Ness has only ever been C3/C4 vaccinated. C3 as a pup and C4 as an adult and has been around lots of dogs who have ended up with Kennel Cough and never caught it. Definitely wouldn't need a C5 unless you plan on boarding your dogs in the near future.

Thanks heaps Ness. I think I will go for C3 with Laffi :laugh: (because I have heard a lot of complains about C5 and even vaccinated dogs get the Kennel Cough)

Edited by laffi

Thanks heaps Ness. I think I will go for C3 with Laffi :confused: (because I have heard a lot of complains about C5 and even vaccinated dogs get the Kennel Cough)

Yes Laffi, both mine were vaccinated with C5 when younger and both still got Canine Cough from off-leash parks within a few months.

Interesting topic, I planned on only vaccinating the adult dogs every 3 years. But a titer test for the levels of immunity would be preferable.

I have mine vac with C3, or C4 if I can't find C3, and have done for years. Kennel cough is treatable anyhow. Forget lepto unless you live north of Mackay or somewhere hot and wet (hmmm, Bris at the moment!!) it's hardly worth doing a 13 month old for Corona, as it is a puppy disease.

I asked my vet about Titer testing yesterday, she said the the Vaccinations that they have in the US are designed to last 3 years while ours in Australia are only meant to last 12 months, she said the 3 years one was much more expensive and we don't have it in Australia yet. I thought the one we use now can last 3 years or life time anyway :confused:

Guest Tess32
I asked my vet about Titer testing yesterday, she said the the Vaccinations that they have in the US are designed to last 3 years while ours in Australia are only meant to last 12 months, she said the 3 years one was much more expensive and we don't have it in Australia yet. I thought the one we use now can last 3 years or life time anyway :confused:

Your vet is incorrect on ALL counts :laugh:

I asked my vet about Titer testing yesterday, she said the the Vaccinations that they have in the US are designed to last 3 years while ours in Australia are only meant to last 12 months, she said the 3 years one was much more expensive and we don't have it in Australia yet. I thought the one we use now can last 3 years or life time anyway :eek:

Your vet is incorrect on ALL counts :mad

After she said that, I told her Elka was due for her vacc last September and she said if the dog is getting to the middle of its life, "they" say you can leave it longer before giving the next Vacc, so I could leave Elka a bit longer if I wanted :rolleyes:

She would know then that the Vacc's last longer but is saying that they dont then?? Is there such a thing as a longer lasting 3 year Vacc from the US, or did she make this up? How dissapoining if she did.

I asked my vet about Titer testing yesterday, she said the the Vaccinations that they have in the US are designed to last 3 years while ours in Australia are only meant to last 12 months, she said the 3 years one was much more expensive and we don't have it in Australia yet. I thought the one we use now can last 3 years or life time anyway :rolleyes:

When I was enquiring about the titer test I also asked about the vaccinations and all the 5 different vets I asked told me the same :eek:

Hey Laffi,

I've been meaning to get on to this one. Might be worth giving Animal Options (Rowan Kilmartin - 55466756) a call. He is a wholistic Vet who tries to avoid medicating where possible so may not be one to immunise for the sake of it. Mind you, he isn't cheap, but I'm pretty happy in how he treats the fur kids......

Tony

I rang this mob the other day, and I was quoted $60 to do the test, with a health check up at the same time :eek:

I asked my vet about Titer testing yesterday, she said the the Vaccinations that they have in the US are designed to last 3 years while ours in Australia are only meant to last 12 months, she said the 3 years one was much more expensive and we don't have it in Australia yet. I thought the one we use now can last 3 years or life time anyway :rolleyes:

...and the vaccinations are the same. I have had this confirmed by the Qld uni and also two vets. Same vaccine, same everything.

The only thing I can think of is that vets are charging more to cover their 'loss' for two years.

I have heard of one vet who charges almost $150 for the "new" 3 year vaccine!

...and the vaccinations are the same. I have had this confirmed by the Qld uni and also two vets. Same vaccine, same everything.

The only thing I can think of is that vets are charging more to cover their 'loss' for two years.

Yeah my vet wouldn't agree that the vaccine last given was a three year one, so I looked up the vaccine company and their website said that the vaccine that my girl was given would last up to three years.

Slightly off topic - does anyone know of any boarding kennels in/near Brissy that accept titre tests as well as vaccination certificates? Obviously I'd have to do kennel cough as an extra vaccine to please them.

Yeah my vet wouldn't agree that the vaccine last given was a three year one, so I looked up the vaccine company and their website said that the vaccine that my girl was given would last up to three years.

Slightly off topic - does anyone know of any boarding kennels in/near Brissy that accept titre tests as well as vaccination certificates? Obviously I'd have to do kennel cough as an extra vaccine to please them.

I was also quoted $150 for the 'special' 3 year vaccine :eek:

I would also want to know about boarding kennels in/near Brissy that accept titre tests! I am going to start a new topic :mad

Guest Tess32
I asked my vet about Titer testing yesterday, she said the the Vaccinations that they have in the US are designed to last 3 years while ours in Australia are only meant to last 12 months, she said the 3 years one was much more expensive and we don't have it in Australia yet. I thought the one we use now can last 3 years or life time anyway :eek:

Your vet is incorrect on ALL counts :D

After she said that, I told her Elka was due for her vacc last September and she said if the dog is getting to the middle of its life, "they" say you can leave it longer before giving the next Vacc, so I could leave Elka a bit longer if I wanted :rolleyes:

She would know then that the Vacc's last longer but is saying that they dont then?? Is there such a thing as a longer lasting 3 year Vacc from the US, or did she make this up? How dissapoining if she did.

I don't know if she's lying or just doesn't know :laugh:

I could be wrong but I think the only 'different' vaccinations are those like Nobivac, who claim to work on *puppies* at 10 weeks, even if the puppies have maternal antibodies present. The puppy shots were traditionally given at 6, 12, 16 weeks because there is no way to tell when the immunity they received from their mum fades enough to let the vaccination 'take' and that if their maternal antibodies are still present, it will interfere with the virus. So the puppy shot protocol was based on the fact that in most pups, 16 weeks was "probably" old enough.

Nobivac and the others ARE available here, however vets have to buy them in a 10 pack, so if you are the only person requesting them, and they are not telling any other clients to use them, they probably won't order them in as it's too expensive.

But when it comes to adults, they are all the same. They ALL last longer than three years. Whether you believe they last a lifetime isn't that black and white, some seem to believe it, some don't. Either way, it's a lot *safer* for the dog to assume it does, and titer test yearly so that you can have a print out of the result for any obedience clubs etc you need to prove immunity/vaccinations to. I guess it was a legal issue about not suddenly coming out and saying "oh wait, these vaccinations have always lasted more than a year" so they came out as different brands :(

If I were you, I would ring her back up and ask her about Nobivac - which is one of the so called "three year" vaccines here in Australia, used by people on this forum, in Australia :mad If she still doesn't believe you, I can happily give her the numbers of a few vets who can tell her it is!

There is no such thing, as far as I know, about an "official" "longer than 3 years" vacc in the states. They are the same ones as we have here, who only state 3 years.

Guest Tess32
I was also quoted $150 for the 'special' 3 year vaccine :rolleyes:

I would also want to know about boarding kennels in/near Brissy that accept titre tests! I am going to start a new topic :mad

:eek: 150!!?!? I paid $44!

Is there any place we can write to, I wonder, to the veterinary association in general, to voice our annoyance at all this?

Your vet is incorrect on ALL counts :mad

She was probably referring to the 'Fort Dodge' from the USA a three year that was I think one of the original "3 year vaccines" I haven't heard anyone mention it for a while so perhaps it was withdrawn.

She simply may not know about Nobivac!! Or she may not yet be convinced.

Edited by aranyoz

Laffi, I don't know whether you have a satisfactory answer yet, sorry, didn't have time to read the whole thread.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for a vet to do titre tests here in Melbourne, I actually had to ring a Brisbane vet to get the name of someone here in Melbourne :rolleyes: No vets in Melbourne were doing it at that stage, but vets in Brisbane were. The Brisbane vet was terrific, but I can't remember her name. :eek: Sorry :mad

I'm seeing the vet this afternoon, so I'll ask and either pm you, or post it here.

It's really frustrating, isn't it? :D

I was also quoted $150 for the 'special' 3 year vaccine :mad

I would also want to know about boarding kennels in/near Brissy that accept titre tests! I am going to start a new topic :rofl:

:D 150!!?!? I paid $44!

Is there any place we can write to, I wonder, to the veterinary association in general, to voice our annoyance at all this?

I think it's a great idea Tess! I don't know of any places but I would love to help :)

Laffi, I don't know whether you have a satisfactory answer yet, sorry, didn't have time to read the whole thread.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for a vet to do titre tests here in Melbourne, I actually had to ring a Brisbane vet to get the name of someone here in Melbourne :eek: No vets in Melbourne were doing it at that stage, but vets in Brisbane were. The Brisbane vet was terrific, but I can't remember her name. :laugh: Sorry :(

I'm seeing the vet this afternoon, so I'll ask and either pm you, or post it here.

It's really frustrating, isn't it? :)

Thanks monsterpup :rolleyes:

I would really appreciate your help! I am trying to get as much info as I can :rofl:

It is very frustrating, I totally agree!

A couple of years ago when I was looking for a vet to do titre tests here in Melbourne, I actually had to ring a Brisbane vet to get the name of someone here in Melbourne :rolleyes: No vets in Melbourne were doing it at that stage, but vets in Brisbane were. The Brisbane vet was terrific, but I can't remember her name. :rolleyes: Sorry :laugh:

It's really frustrating, isn't it? :rofl:

Thanks monsterpup :o

I would really appreciate your help! I am trying to get as much info as I can :mad

Hi Laffi,

The vet's name is Dr Esther Horton, from Indooroopilly Vet Clinic, tel (07) 38789766. I contacted her a couple of years ago, but I assume she is still there. I was told she was one of the first Aussie vets to do titre testing.

Hope one of the contacts I or someone else has given is of use to you. I remeber when I was searching I felt like :thumbsup:

A couple of years ago when I was looking for a vet to do titre tests here in Melbourne, I actually had to ring a Brisbane vet to get the name of someone here in Melbourne :rolleyes: No vets in Melbourne were doing it at that stage, but vets in Brisbane were. The Brisbane vet was terrific, but I can't remember her name. :laugh: Sorry :rofl:

It's really frustrating, isn't it? :mad

Thanks monsterpup :o

I would really appreciate your help! I am trying to get as much info as I can :D

Hi Laffi,

The vet's name is Dr Esther Horton, from Indooroopilly Vet Clinic, tel (07) 38789766. I contacted her a couple of years ago, but I assume she is still there. I was told she was one of the first Aussie vets to do titre testing.

Hope one of the contacts I or someone else has given is of use to you. I remeber when I was searching I felt like :thumbsup:

Thank you so much. This is actually quite close to us so it could be a great option.

:rolleyes:

Fort

Dodge have the repackaged vaccine for three years and only in their C3 range. It appears that nothing else has changed.

The vet also reminded me not forget the yearly booster, so I looked him in the eye and said they will never require any more vaccine in their lives. Haha his face went bright red and then he smiled at me. He knew all about the new three year vaccine and even discussed it with me. At a guess I would say that most of the vets are aware of what's happening and are still angry over the loss of revenue.

I also said ask clients to titre test and he said that would cost more, so I told him dogs will live longer lives. I don't know if it sank in but if you treat a dog for a longer period wouldn't you on the average stand to make more money.

Edited by oakway