Jasper's Lymphoma Thread

nell.m

I've decided to start a thread here to record Jasper's progress.

He's at the vet's now until 2pm getting an ultrasound. Hopefully I'll be able to have a chat to the oncologist when I get him.

A bit about Jasper...

I'd been bugging my family as a young girl for years that I wanted a little puppy to call my own. Finally they relented and I met a fat little fox terrier puppy who picked me by jumping on my lap. My parents tried to get me to pick the other fox terrier pup, as little jasper had had a hernia- but I was obstinate that I wanted Jasper. And what was that. :laugh:

That was when I was 14- I'm now 25, and we've grown up together, and been through so much.

He is a little fighter. I grew up on acreage and one day Jasper ran into a bush and was stung by a swarm of wasps all over his face. He came out with a face so lumpy that he looked like a Shar-pei dog! I was very distressed but Jasper didn't know what all the fuss was about. He just wanted to lie on the cool grass for a while then five minutes later, he was trying to get me to play! I couldn't believe it.

Then when he was 1 1/2 he caught a MASSIVE black snake, probably over a metre long. My mother could only watch in horror as he tried to shake it to death (he had trouble because it was so thick). But he killed it and dragged it proudly home.

Jasper has also suffered a few epileptic fits- but he doesn't thrash around and foam at the mouth- he remains standing stiffly and rides it out.

It gives me hope in his strength and determination that he will be able to handle the biggest fight of his life.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I just picked Jasper up from the vet's. The ultrasound showed that the cancer has not spread to any organs. It's the best bad news I could have hoped for. Tomorrow or the next day he'll start receiving treatment.

The nurse said they had to give him a sedative, but it didn't have any effect. :laugh: Typical Jasper!

He is really happy and wants to play.

I have hope. :laugh: Thanks for all the advice, support and understanding. It has helped me greatly.

Included is a photo I took when I got him home. :mad

post-22994-1204690130_thumb.jpg

The ultrasound showed that the cancer has not spread to any organs. It's the best bad news I could have hoped for. Tomorrow or the next day he'll start receiving treatment.

That is fantastic news! I came looking for this thread wanting to see how all was going. I will continue to watch progress. Best of luck.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :confused:

Well, I got a fax with the different treatment options and I am very keen to try the first option- the most expensive one- which is called the CHOP treatment protocol. I left the fax at my parent's house but I am sure everyone knows about it or has heard about it before? I am doing some research on it now and it seems like the treatment is similar to how humans get treated for it.

Jasper is 11 and while he is very robust and happy, does anyone think it's too aggressive a treatment to put an aging dog through? It's the route I want to take him though.

He has an appointment with the oncologist on saturday.

Took Jasper to the hospital where he will be getting his treatment today.

I am very impressed with the vet (one of the vets that will be treating him). She is very caring and went into great depth about the whole chemo process.

She also said that if dogs get too distressed with the chemo treatments, they will scale it back or stop it. Naturally, not what I want to happen but it's nice to know they care.

She said Jasper has a very good chance; and that most of the dogs they treat are already quite sick.

Jasper did not enjoy being there though- we went out the back to have a look at everything and he freaked out. He was put into a cage and I told him everything was ok and for him to stay there, and he was shaking like a leaf. :laugh:

We left him there for a few hours as he was to have his first injection, however they didn't have the right medication after all so he will be starting his treatment monday or tuesday. He was very happy to see us and I gave him a new toy whilst we were still there to associate him with good things being at the vet too. He was very impressed. :laugh: The vet said he was playing with her dog while we were away so hopefully he wasn't too stressed out!

Despite his distress at being left there, he seems none the worse for it. When we got him home he was ready to play with his new toy. Then he had a big sleep and was ready for his walk when he woke up. So I am hoping he will get used to the whole treatment routine.

I just can't wait to get him started on it!

Also, forgot to add that the vet told me it was probably a bad idea to give Jasper any holistic treatments as it could have a negative effect on the chemo. Instead I might take him to a holistic vet/practitioner when he's in remission to keep his immune system up.

Any comments? I know a lot of you are taking natural supplements.

Also, forgot to add that the vet told me it was probably a bad idea to give Jasper any holistic treatments as it could have a negative effect on the chemo. Instead I might take him to a holistic vet/practitioner when he's in remission to keep his immune system up.

Any comments? I know a lot of you are taking natural supplements.

I was told the same thing by our oncologist. However my dog is not on chemo...she does have one chemo drug amongst all the others in her regime. I administer her medication at home. I decided not to go with chemo because it's not very successful with the kind of cancer my dog has.

Many natural therapies are not compatible with chemo but I'm using a couple with the oncologists approval.

Jasper had his intravenous injection yesterday, and I was warned that that particular dose could knock him around and perhaps make him a little ill. But when I picked him up late afternoon he came running out of the room with the vet trying to control him, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!

He stood up most of the way home (40 mins drive) then wanted to play when he got home. I couldn't believe it!

He's been really good ever since. A little more tired than normal but otherwise he is his usual, happy self.

He doesn't seem to be suffering from any nasty side-effects. :o

And his glands are already smaller too! I could hardly feel them today!

He goes back next week for a blood test and more pills.

So far, so good.