Wound Not Healing

My dog has had a wound on his backside for months. It started when one of the other dogs grabbed him. She took a chunk of hair with her and there was no wound. Now months later there is a weepy sore. It was a hole looking thing, then a wound, then a scab, then it was a sore.

Vets have looked at it and dismissed it.

I'm trying betadine on it but frankly my question is - any ideas why it hasnt healed for MONTHS?

He has been on cortisone and antibiotics during that time and otherwise not much else

Just above the wound is a little lump - feels solid - no pain - hasn't grown since i first saw it - no colour to it

We are back at the vets next week but just wondering why it hasn't healed??

I think that Cortisone can stop the healing process so this could be a reason why it hasn't healed. Also might be the type of diet he is on.

Try some baby's Curash powder (contains zinc which is helpful with healing) and when it has dried up apply the curash cream.

A friend had a dog with a small injury that didn't heal. Eventually when she was cleaning out the puss, she discovered a grass seed, removed it and it started healing straight away.

Maybe your dog has some dirt or hair in his wound still?

I agree with both previous posts - Cortisone restricts healing and should be avoided if possible. I would be suspicious that there could be a foreign body of some type especially with the lump you describe.

See your vet again or get a 2nd opinion, vets should never 'dismiss' your concerns especially with something that has been going on for so long, it is important to confirm also that it is not something more sinister such as a tumour.