East West Feet

Kujo

Hey guys sorry if this has been asked before (done a search but couldnt find anything) i have a young dog who's feet are starting to become quite east west. I was wondering if there is anything that i can do to correct them i cant seem to find much info about this and any advice would be appriciated. Thanks

How old is your pup ??

As long as it is not a fault that puppy has always had, I would take them off the puppy food and see if the legs start to correct themselves. You can put them back on puppy food if you like, to fill puppy out more once the growth spurt has finished.

Others will have some more suggestions to try too :(

Thanks for the replys. Its not a fault that pup has had, the feet were lovely until a short time ago when i noticed they were turning outwards (i have started to majorly stress about it). I give them ester c a couple times a week. Could it have anything to do with the food being very high in protein?

Guest Tess32

Is he teething? I asked on a few groups/forums and it just seems to happen when they are teething.

A lot of people say lower the protein but I don't agree that would be an issue, IMO only. That's for raw food only though, I don't know about dry food as the protein isn't as high a quality.

What are you feeding him?

This sometimes occurs in my breed and yes, it's usually associated with teething and the increased need for calcium. Vitamin C helps with calcium absorption which is why it may be effective although I've never tried it myself. They usually straighten up by 8 to 9 months, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but occasionally the condition will persist into adulthood, they improve, but don't straighten completely.

BTW I am not advising you to give more calcium, it's the absorption that can be the problem, not the amount the dog receives.

Thanks for that info Miranda, the legs were straight from birth until now (6 months) when they started to turn, i hope they will straighten, i will give him vit c more regularly and hope for an improvement.

When i stack him it is fine (feet the way they should be, if i place them correctly he leaves them) but when he stops after walking around etc he stands east west

Edited by Roxy5

I believe it can be caused from too much protein. I have been told this by my breeder, my dogs nutritionist and quite alot of people. 30% is quite high for protein levels, i think it should be somewhere around low 20s. I would take him off the Pro Plan, i have heard that it is quite high with protein. Too much protein will cause growth spurts adding weight onto bones that are not capable of carrying that weight. I would (and have done myself) lower the protein and feed vitamin c.

the legs were straight from birth until now (6 months) when they started to turn, i hope they will straighten, i will give him vit c more regularly and hope for an improvement.

From what i have heard and read, you can straighten them as long as you do so before the growth plates close.

Also, vitamin c should not be a regular additive to your dogs food or your dog will cease making it's own vitamin c. Give it daily in the correct dose until the feet are straight and then stop giving it.

I can't tell you what food to change to. Probably best for you to do some research and find out what suits your dog and yourself best. I don't feed commercial food, but when i did, the only one I would touch was Eagle Pack Natural Formula and Large Breed Puppy. Although, if i was to feed one at 6 months i would just use the natural formula. They both have 23% protein. Calcium and Phosphorus levels are also good. Like I said, I dont feed commercial dog food anymore though.

Thanks so very much Alison and everyone else who posted, i was thinking about switching him over to eagle pack as i have heard lots of good things about it. :( i will let you know how we go

I feed proplan performance which is has 30% protein. I am at a loss at what to do BTW he has nearly finished his teething

too high a protein diet esp in dry food can cause probs in the feet-i know!!! i feed an adult dry(small amount though) from 12 weeks and the pups have all had great feet and legs,some of the other ones though fed a "premium" brand large puppy food and they collapsed in the feet.put on a lower protein one though and 6 weeks later knuckle back up(btw they left at 8 weeks).a orange juiced and added to the feed is a great way to provide vit c-oranges have heaps of trace elements and minerals etc as well- steve mentioned it in a thread and i found it to be great.