Eating Poo.... ?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a health or behaviour issue, but thought this may be a good place to start. In late December my sister adopted a female Shih Tzu x, approx 18 months of age. I originally fostered this girl from early November and never came across this behaviour when she was with me. She did not begin eating her own poo until about 5 weeks after going to my sisters... Her diet has remained the same as when she was with me, premium dry food, chicken necks, yoghurt, sardines, flaxseed/fish oil supplement, small amounts of satin balls recipe (she is a very slight girl who does not gain weight easily), 1/4 lamb necks, some left over vegies. I am not overly concerned as she appears very healthy, great shiny coat, energetic and happy, however my sister finds her extra curricula diet very distressing.....

Any suggestions on what could cause this or ways to deter her would be great. Obviously if she is seen doing her business it is immediately picked up, however at times when no one is home it is obvious from the amount of stool remaining that most has been consumed.

They normally grow out of it. Mine did the same and then just stopped. You can also try racing out there and picking it up asap before the dog gets the smell of it or if you cant pick it up asap put pepper on it

Also have tried pumpkin, pineapple and all other things but mine grew out of it, it also does not mean the dog lacks anything in the diet

Nothing to be concerned about but if you are that worried then drop in and see the vet for your own peace of mind

:rolleyes: