Dog Shampoo For Allergic Skin Condition

Kismet

I use Malaseb for the initial treatment, and then go onto the Plush puppy itchy skin shampoo, its a great herbal base and we have cleaned up a couple of very itchy dawgs! (and this is not an ad!) I also use their new seabreeze oil to rinse or spray on the coat, my big boy went from a ball of itch & no hair, and had lost 15kgs due to constant itching, to one very hairy, happy hound & back to normal weight.

fifi

Guest pawsonpaths

Hi!

I see you have recieved lots of replies, but I thought I might be able to help as I have worked in two grooming salons....

I also just answered the exact same question for one of my clients!

You might want to try an oatmeal shampoo? There is a fantasic one you can usually get at vets ect ... can't remember it's name for the life of me! I think you can get a bottle for around $20 - $30? It's a bit pricey, but is highly worth it. Just pop in to a good pet shop (not Pets Paradise, they are such a rip off.) Just tell them you are after an oatmeal shampoo with the correct Ph level. The good ones usually require for them to be left on for around 10 mins so they can soak into the skin. That's the type you would want. Although, they have to be 100% rinsed off. Rinse her, and then rinse her again. As it can have a counter effect if any it is left on, and she could get even more itchy. When using a proper dog shampoo, you can usually feel when the coat is actually clean (I mean really clean) and when the shampoo is rinsed off. It will get a particular 'squeek' to it, without an oily residue. And it sounds so stupid, but water temp should be only slightly warm, not hot, when washing a dog. If it's to hot the oil will just kind of stick and melt onto the fur, and if it's to cold the oil wont break down.

Hope this helps!

From Beccy

PAWS ON PATHS

"Your pets bestfriend"

[email protected]

You might want to try an oatmeal shampoo? There is a fantasic one you can usually get at vets ect ... can't remember it's name for the life of me! I think you can get a bottle for around $20 - $30? It's a bit pricey, but is highly worth it.

Sounds like ALOVEEN..... :flame:

Thanks again all!

The Aloveen oatmeal shampoo/conditioner seems to be working a treat.

Beccy, I really appreciated your tips on water temp and thorough rinsing etc. The aloveen said to leave on for 5 mins before rinsing - I think this was the longest 5 mins of my dog's life :hug: She was looking at me like, "what the hell are we doing?"

fifi, is Plush puppy itchy skin from your vet or petstore? (just keeping in mind backups)

Kismet

kismet, that's funny (the dog thnking what the hell r u doing?!). one of mine has allergies i think & the vet told me to use phyrex or something that i had to leave on for ten minutes. Do you think he was just going to stand there & read a magazine? nope. i would get wetter than he was just trying to hold him still. drove me bananas. I use aloveen, it smells good & helps a bit i think (re: the allergies). how often do you all wash the dog?

Hi Chuckie500... I did actually read your thread (after posting this) about allergies.

I bath her about once every 2 to 3 weeks. Have you been trying the "not bathing" thing? How's it going?

I'm actually living with my family again at the moment, and they're really not doggy people, so I don't think the "not bathing" would go down too well here (smell wise).

I think we're pretty well sorted now anyway - would be a different story if I tried feeding commercial dog food again I think, but I have no intention to.

I hope you get your dog's allergies under control... I know how distressing it can be. Good Luck :hug:

Kismet

i haven't bathed them for over two weeks, but i might give in soon. I guess if i don't bath them, they miss out on the soothing effect of the aloveen. It got a little worse again on friday but its quite bearable. he only itches occasionally now (mainly around 6am & sometimes in the evening). No so bad that he cries & bleeds or anything like that. I'll keep them off beef & wheat for a while as my strategy.