Dog Shampoo For Allergic Skin Condition

Kismet

Hi,

I'm sorry I know this has been covered before, I'm just not sure where now.

My staffy cross has always had skin allergies since a pup, and they're pretty well controlled now by diet (all home cooked food (chicken,rice,veg) and trying to introduce more raw). Her skin used to flare up any time I tried to give her commercial dog food.

Just wondering which shampoo and where to get (i'm in sydney), would be best to minimise her itching. She still gets a bit red on her belly from scratching, but no where near as bad as previously (she used to make herself bleed regularly). I've used a couple of different shampoos from pet shops, but don't feel that they make much difference - any suggestions? I know someone mentioned one you get from Vets, but I can't remember the name.

Appreciate any help :thumbsup:

Kismet

I find Malaseb an excellent product for clearing up hot spots and fungus type problems between the toes. It is also great for cleaning dogs ears!

I mix a very small amount into some water and just bath the spots daily, leave on for 10 minutes and then wipe off. Then an overall bath in this once or twice a week.

It is available from vets, online and at the pet food warehouse type places.

Good luck with your dog. There is nothing worse than a dog scratching itself - for you and the dog!

I'm also a fan of Malaseb, but believe regular washing of the entire dog with it can be a little too drying. The same company (Dermcare) make a fantastic, soap free, oatmeal, shampoo and leave in conditioner which is great for regular washing of dogs with sensitive skin. It is called ALOVEEN. Available from your vet and some pet stores.

My friends staffyxpitbull has the same problem and the vet recommended he use Pyohex after he had been trying Malaseb and it worked better.

Pyohex should only be use if there are signs of infection ie. pus. Otherwise the level of Chlorhexidine is too drying. That's really the difference between Malaseb and Pyohex.....Malaseb for dry skin, Pyohex if there is pus etc......... :thumbsup:

I can highly recommend Aloveen. My dobe has skin problems at the moment and my vet recommended this but its not too cheap. It has an oatmeal base to soothe and the conditioner is a cream that you rub in e specially the irritated areas and you leave it on. It's excellent and it works straight away. My dogs coat is so shiny after using it.

Edited by bladek9

Any Dermcare shampoo is great! Malaseb is designed to remove bacteria from the skin without removing the skins essential oils so it doesn't really 'shampoo' and strip the coat enabling it to be used every 2 days. Pyohex is designed to dry the skin so is only used on infections such as hotspots or a very oily coat. The two shampoos are very different. There are several foods available now for skin sensitive dogs like Science Diet Z/D ultra. It has hydrolised protein so the body doesn't recognise it thus stopping a flair up. (others are eukanuba f/p and waltham catfish & rice). These foods are complete and balanced.

omg Aloveen's the BEST. I washed chupa with it today, and she smells SO good, and is SO soft! I think i'm sniffing her more than she sniffs me now :laugh:

Thanks again for the advice guys. I've made a note of the other recommendations in case she has a real flare up again.

Kismet

I like PetNetwork's MediClean Shampoo- it is specifically made for dogs with Allergic Dermatitis etc. It smells good too.

You have to be veru vigilant here as sometimes the odour you are referring to can be a secondary infection that will require anitbiotic treatment