Teary Eyes

My four month old Cavalier has teary eyes. She has been the same since I first saw her at about six weeks old.

The vet noticed them at 12 weeks but didn't worry. He commented on them again at 16 weeks and has said that she may have blocked tear ducts.

He has given us some "cream" to put in her eyes twice a day for 10 days but I don't think it's doing anything. I think this was just in case it was an infection.

When she gets desexed (in about six or eight weeks), he's going to check them out when she's under anaesthetic. I'm not sure what this may involve, whether he is going to flush the tear ducts or not.

I have heard that having teary eyes is fairly normal/common for Cavaliers.

I am not worried about having to wipe her eyes daily. It is staining her fur under her eyes, too.

Any advice or opinions?

Edited by pennyw74

Cavalier tears are common. What exactly is the eye cream for? Did they check for extra eyelashes?

Once she starts teething they will get worse, and many Cavaliers have tear stains for years, as their heads keep changing up to about 3 years of age in some lines.

The only product that will work on stains is "Kojo" you can get it online at Petnetwork.

Did you buy from a Cavalier Club member?

did your vet do a tear test?try bathing the eyes each morning with warm salt water only wiping across the eye once with a clean swab each time (UNINPREGNATED make up remover pads are excellent for this; teething does make the problem worse .

He looked at her eyes and said they looked fine. He did look for extra eyelashes, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what the cream was for but I think it was just in case there was any infection that he couldn't see. He said to try it to see what happens - it may clear it up. So far, I don't think it's done anything and she's on day 5.

I asked him if it was because she was teething but he said that wouldn't cause it.

I think the breeder is a Cavalier Club member but I'm not 100% sure.

did your vet do a tear test?try bathing the eyes each morning with warm salt water only wiping across the eye once with a clean swab each time (UNINPREGNATED make up remover pads are excellent for this; teething does make the problem worse .

He didn't do a tear test as yet, maybe that's what he's doing when she goes in for desexing.

They dont need to be under for a tear test !it is a simple proccdure that involves A strip of paper inserted in the eye & a count taken for results my old cocker bitch has very sticky eyes & she was tested last week;; quick & easy; she is also on eye creams that seem to be doing nothing!!!it could also be the change of seasons (Crazy Weather )that is addingTo your little darlins problem ;Cause when they go out to play they seem to collect more dirt in the wet areas ;so make sure u keep her eyes clean; :) good luck

He didn't really go into too much detail with what he is going to do because it's not for a little while. I was hoping that this cream would perhaps work.

He is going to check her out when she's next in. He mustn't be too concerned if he's only going to look at her next time she's in.

Your vet seems to be treating as a conjunctivitis at this stage. Saline/salt water is great. If you are concerned or unsure of the plans for your pup you should always ask for more details and get lots of information on all the choices available to you. Ring the vet and ask, you paid for advice and have a right to have an input. Could your breeder help also?

I would stop putting the cream in as it is for no reason. You might want to change to a Vet that is more familiar with the breed, I think I recall you are from Sydney, Hills area? If so I would recommend going to Karen Hedberg, she has had some of the most successful Cavalier Breeders go to her over the years.

I had a similar issue with one of my puppies who is now 2 and started to have the issue around 3 months. After opinions from 3 different vets, at last a vet found the problem was quite simple in that when my dog blinked her eyes did not always completely close and created a dry situation where the eye would over compensate by filling with tears. She had dreadful tear stains for a long time and I was wiping at least 5 times a day (Kojo worked the best). In the end it was rectified by the simple use of a lubricant which I buy from the chemist, initially I used it once a day and now I only use it about 3 times a week, no eye stains and no tears for the past year. Systane lubricant drops were the ones recommended.

This may not be your puppy's problem but might we worth a try and it only costs a few dollars. My puppy was on all sorts of ointments to no effect for some time and I was really frustrated in not being able to find a solution. Best of luck solving the issue, it can be very frustrating.