Clipping With A Blade Comb

Not sure if I have the correct name here but I am talking about the comb you attach to the clipper blade in order to leave longer coat.

I usually clip with a size 10 blade against the coat which effectively takes the coat off to almost the skin. I have an older girl that I want to leave about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of coat on. I have the comb but it does not seem to take any coat off when I clip with the lay of the coat which is about 1.5 to 2 inches long at the moment. Should I be clipping against the coat to achieve what I want? Have not really set the dog up and had a proper play yet so have not had the opportunity to really sort it out and thought some of you groomers may be able to give me some tips.

I use the comb attachments with a #30 blade, but you can do so with a #10, but the result is not as neat.

I would suggest you either use a shorter comb if there is no coat coming off, or completely brush out, wash and blow dry the coat prior to clipping. That way there is no hair lying flat to the body.

Just make sure you are also holding the comb attachment with the comb flat to the body on the correct angle otherwise you are not going to get a neat clip and miss quite a bit of the coat.

Also, I never clip any breed against the grain apart from a poodle :vomit:

I think you mean a comb attachment http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....at&catId=39

Come in a set of 8 usually,best used over a 15 blade or shorter(although will work with your 10)Dog has to be matt free to use them though

Yes it is an attachment. Bought individually though not in a set. According to the info that came with my attachment it works best with blade size 40, 35, 30 and 10. The dog is matt free.

Ari, you may be right is saying I need a shorter attachment. I assumed the 1/2 inch one would leave that length of hair (was told that when I bought it too) but I may have the wrong idea

We use a # 40 with the combs

The attachments are only as successful as the coat in question.

Some dogs whilst having length dont have any thickness so it doesnt guarantee you the length you expect.

You can get blades that do the same lengths that often work better